The Good Guys: New FOX TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

The Good GuysLast week, FOX gave viewers a sneak preview of one of their new series — The Good Guys. The TV show is set for a summer run and already has a spot on the network’s fall schedule. Will it last that long?

The Good Guys is an action comedy that pairs a washed-up, old-school cop (Bradley Whitford) with a young, by-the-book detective (Colin Hanks). Others in the series include Jenny Wade, Diana-Maria Riva, Jennifer Besser, Kimberly Lynn Campbell, Kennith Edwards, Nathan Fane, and Arthur Wooldridge.

Last Wednesday’s premiere attracted a disappointing 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.93 million viewers. That put the TV show’s debut in fourth place in total viewership and tied for third in the coveted demographic with NBC’s Minute to Win It.

What do you think of The Good Guys?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That’s hardly a great start and doesn’t bode well for the series’ future. Ratings typically drop lower for a show’s second episode and Good Guys doesn’t exactly have any to spare.

The network isn’t giving up though and has scheduled extra chances to see the pilot by re-airing it this Friday (May 28th) and again on Monday, May 31st. The Good Guys’ regular season will then begin on Monday, June 7th.

TV show supportBased on the early ratings, one could expect that the series would have a quiet summer run and then be gone. However, FOX had such faith in the series that they gave it a spot on the fall schedule, following Human Target on Friday nights.

Ratings expectations are lower for summers and Friday nights. However, it seems highly unlikely that, unless viewership improves, the show will last beyond the first season.

What do you think? Is The Good Guys worth watching or would you just cancel it now?

Canceled and renewed TV show

210 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Helmers says

We just love the show and are VERY disappointed that is has been canceled! We watched it every week – and one time our son called during the show and we always turn the tv off when our kids call but this time we left it on and still tried to watch and talk at the same time!! Over the holidays we told lots of friends and family about the show and not many had heard of it – even my brother who lives in Dallas hadn’t watched it yet.
    I think it is a real mistake to give up on this wonderful show – WE WANT TO SEE MORE!! PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!!

2. Cramer says

Best show to hit TV in YEARS!!!! Great writting, acting, funny. Always leaves me looking forward to next episode. PLEASE BRING DAN & GANG BACK TO STAY!!!

3. Ryan says

‘it looks crimey…’ lol… Anyways, this show is brilliant…. I have Never once in my life posted a comment on any article on the net or anything in my life, but I actually googled ‘post thoughts on The Good Guys forum’ and I reached here… I watch alot of shows like blue bloods, burn notice, covert affairs, CSI’s, criminal minds, and a bunch of others from all over the spectrum… Love comedy and love crime (in a tv sense; u know what I mean), so this show is the perfect fit… It is a ONE of a kind and I hope it doesn’t go anywhere… If u guys need ideas, I have a million of em when it comes to a show like this, so see u next season! Great show…..

4. Mark Poulin and family says

We all love this show and have watched it since is debut, Wednesday was a better viewing time as most people are out on Friday nights at nine. That being said we continued to watch the show on Fridays or watched it the next day online we’ve been sure not to miss a single episode. It’s a great show comparable to any of the comedy greats including Seinfeld. I’ll be watching for the next season because I’m sure Fox can’t cancel such a great show.

5. George says

I’m really disapointed to hear that this show hear that this show has been canceled. I hope another network will pick it up.

6. Jean Ford says

This is a fantastic show…the best new series to come around in some time. I adore Brad Whitford in this role! This is definitely not his genre but his does such a great job as “Dan” I look forward eagerly to this show every week.

PLEASE KEEP IT!

Jean Ford

7. says

STARK ATTACK! For the love of god, please keep making episodes of “The Good Guys”. There is finally a show I can enjoy with my children and I don’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. Fox, if you cancel this show, there won’t be anything left on your network to watch. Period.

8. Laurel Lee says

This show is so good. It’s funny and I love it. It is one of the best “cop” shows around. I hope that they keep it going. I really enjoy it.

9. the good guys fanatic says

i’m sorry, but if they cancel this show, i will spend the rest of my life crying in a dark lonely corner. this is by far my favorite show and it will always be my favorite show. everything about this show just makes me happy. i got in a fight with my parents the other day and i went into the other room to watch the good guys and i was smilin and laughing in seconds. this show is quite simply, freakin amazing. and it’s certainly a nice break after the seventeen or so different versions of CSI and law and order they’ve got floatin around nowadays. i mean seriously, we get it, police get cool shiny technology to solve gruesome crimes with it, we get it, and we stopped caring quite some time ago. we no longer find it impressive. now The Good Guys, that’s something new, fresh, and freakin awesome

10. Martha says

I love this show. We never miss it. I’ll watch anything Matt Nix produces. Maybe it needs a new home on USA network where the Nix show, Burn Notice, is doing great. USA Network’s slogan is “characters welcome”. Well the good guys are two characters that need and deserve a warm welcome.