The Philanthropist: NBC Drama Officially Cancelled

The Philanthropist TV showNBC’s not being very charitable to fans of their summer series, The Philanthropist. The feel-good drama has been cancelled.

The Philanthropist revolves around Teddy Rist (James Purefoy), a once-selfish billionaire who decides to channel his money and power to help those in need. The series also features the talents of Jesse L. Martin, Neve Campbell, Michael Kenneth William, Lindy Booth, Krista Allen, and James Albrecht.

The Philanthropist TV showFor a summer show, the drama did pretty well in the ratings initially. But, as the weeks wore on, the numbers fell off. NBC stuck with it and ran all eight episodes, with the last one airing on August 12th. Though it looked unlikely that the show would be renewed, many viewers have been holding out hope. The network didn’t make an announcement about the show’s fate but they rarely do.

Now, an upcoming DVD release from Universal Studios Home Entertainment has put the chances of the series returning to rest. They’ve announced the upcoming release of The Philanthropist: The Complete Series. The two-disc set will be available on January 5th and will include all eight episodes but unfortunately won’t have any extras.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show is officially over? Any storylines you would like to have seen?

Canceled and renewed TV show

121 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Marble cat says

Hear , Hear to Lance!! You are soooooo right. The Philanthropist was our family favorite, it created a dialogue that other shows do not. And I along with your wife, just loved Lipstick Jungle.

2. Lance says

I too was just checking to see when the Philanthropist would return, and not surprising to me or my family, NBC chose to cancell another good program that had a great premise, infinite story line potential, interesting characters, and thoughtful family oriented writing. NBC Universal continues to shoot itself in the foot-there is only so much reality TV that people can take and there is no sydication market for reality TV. I have not been this disappointed since NBC Universal cancelled the Dresden Files. My wife is afraid to watch NBC for fear of cancelling a program that she has enjoyed a-la “Lipstick Jungle”, “Life”, and probably “Parenthood” next.

• Anonymous says

You have both got all this right. I think I’ll skip NBC until there is a full season of a show to watch for free somewhere else on the internet. At least I would know when the end was coming.

3. cglover says

WTF is right. I absolutely loved the premise of this show and all who were in it. What is wrong with you people? Can’t get enough of CSI Law and Order and all those other old story lines. Give me a break. No wonder I hardly watch ABC, NBC, CBS.

4. cory says

Honestly guys? I am disappointed with your network. Put me in charge and I’ll let you know what people like to see aside from the Reality TV crap. This was a good show, heck, a great show and you had to cut it short of reaching max potential. You did this years ago with The Black Donnelly’s and now that is one of your, if not your most watched online shows. Honestly, I know this cost your network alot of money to make per episode with the extravageant parties and with the beautiful scenery, but look at the big picture: SOMETIMES you have to spend money to make money. Of course the ratings will fall after a few episodes, that is when all of the people who that the show was something different(maybe thought it was reality TV or something) fall off. Thereafter is when people will pass the word and then the ratings will again soar. So you have to give it time. Admit your faults instead of hiding from them….and please bring this show back to life!!!!

5. Skoobee says

What a shame. I am still hoping one day I qwill hear news that NBC has come to it’s senses. One of the better produced network television shows for all audiences to come out in some time. I will miss the worldly insight and intrigue of this wonderful and missed show.

6. Elaine says

I agree. I like a few reality tv shows, but don’t get why they have taken the shows that actually have substance off … like Philathropist; Three Rivers ; and Mental, etc. I loved that it was bring cultures from different countries as well as helping people in need. I loved those shows and thought it was a nice change from the “reality” shows that they seem to keep dumping on TV. I don’t get why they don’t give these shows a chance to catch on and change nights or advertise more or something. It’s really annoying!

7. mary says

Wow. I just searched to find out when The Philanthropist was coming back to the line-up and discovered it’s been cancelled. What a shame. This was a fabulous show. My family and I never failed to be moved. Bringing world issues to our living rooms in a format we can are comfortable with — what a forward-thinking idea. But now it seems that the networks are giving up shows of substance to cable, willing to air only reality tv. Definitely a step in the wrong direction — less network watching time in my house.

8. Natalie says

I LOVED this show… its so different from any show I’ve seen, so intriguing, captivating, and not just “feel-good,” but actually culturally stimulating… it opens your eyes up to the world, and far surpasses any TV show or reality waste-of-time crap that is hogging the tube these days. Please, please, please bring back Teddy. You won’t regret it. You need to give viewers a chance to get on the bandwagon and… stay for the ride, because we will.

9. Jases says

What a shame. One of very few shows that hits my DVR every week and a can’t miss for me. Great stories of charity and hope. Something this nation needed. Thanks for giving more of what we don’t need instead. I knew I could count on “suits” to get it wrong again.

10. jennie ts choban says

Sirs/Mesdames: Re Cancellation of The Philanthropist. Just when tv delivers viewers a quality feel-good show, the stupid exes decide we need more reality ****, so they cancel the family programs for CRAP. Another reason why I should not subscribe to cable tv.\

Hey guys, you can always bring back The Philanthropist and I will never swear at you again.

Sincerely,

Jennie Choban – Gibsons BC Canada
    P>S> I’m a grandmother and there really is NOTHING worthwhile watching if you guys keep up with all the reality garbage. WISE UP!