The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won’;t be back for a fourth season?

Randy February 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Please bring it back!! I am SO tired of American Idol and the one singer with 20 minutes of commercials. The Sing Off was a GREAT singing show and my family and I miss it. True singing talent on a true singing show!! Reality!!

cathie scott February 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I was looking forward to another season of great talent! So sad!

Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

It was a really good show. I maybe one of the other stations will pick it up. I was looking forward to season four.

Anonymous February 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I am SO sad to see the show go!!! I looked forward to it every season. The year the group performed “Landslide” completely BLEW me away!!! I wish the network could bring it back if not but for a few shows like they started – a little is better than nothing.

Anonymous February 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

My heart is broken!

Dee February 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

Shame on NBC for canceling The Sing Off! That show is a great concept of a capella performance competition, and refreshing involvement of the reviewer/judges without making a mockery of the process. That show displayed to large audience such a wide array of variations from talented a capella groups. The final five groups from last year’s ‘Sing Off’ were all amazing! And the last winner, Pentatonix, is phenomenal, and drawing sell-out crowds nationally. I pray that better sense will prevail on part of NBC (or some smarter network execs) to give the viewing audience some good and positive choices, while providing a large-scale national stage for bringing public attention to terrific a capella groups! Somebody bring back The Sing Off!!

lovesingoff February 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm

The Sing Off was the most authentic show on the air! The judges are so ‘real’ and are really invested in the participants. This show exudes passion…and the talent was “Off The Hook”!! They should bring it back on air! PLEASE bring it back :-)

moughie February 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

They Sing Off was a real talent show and should not of been canceled. Please bring it back, the groups really had to be able to sing and to preform, you could not hide it if you could not sing or perform.

Kevin February 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Really disappointed. Best singing show I’ve seen. Enjoyed the talent.

Marci February 17, 2013 at 8:24 am

So bummed. Like the other comments, I agree that there was a level of class and sweetness on the show that was pretty unique. The talents and collaboration and fun was somehow unique compared to the other singing shows. NBC can’t seem to get it right, ever – canceling the few great shows it has like Bent etc and trying so desperately to bring ratings that they judge so quickly and harshly instead of showing patience and trusting the quality they do have and giving a show time to build an audience. With the popularity of a Capella right now I’m surprised, too. I really dug the show

Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This is the best signing show I ever had the pleasure of watching. It is so creative and the groups are so talented. It isn’t the run of the mill singing show. Each group has to come up with their own arrangements every single week for a different genre as well as learn a massed group number. Show me another singing show that required this much talent and dedication from their groups. You will not find it. What a disappointment to lose such a great entertaining program. Please consider bringing it back.

Jo Carey February 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I keep searching for ads for the upcoming Sing Off. Now I see that it is cancelled. Wow! What a mistake. It was the VERY BEST singing show on T.V. Watching these performers working so hard together, enjoying the collaborations, the personalities, the TALENT! All the other singing shows are the same….boring and way too glitzy. The Sing Off was classy. I felt like I was rooting for the home team. I’m bereft, upset, and bewildered. Shame on you NBC.

Anonymous February 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I can’t believe this show is gone. By far the best of the singing shows on TV. Please bring it back!!

Diane Thomas February 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

The Sing off is my favorite singing competition! I can’t believe it was cancelled. With the rise in acapella popularity, I am very disappointed that NBC cancelled it. They also put it on Monday night, try a different night. Seems like it was always up against Dancing with the Stars. (Which I don’t watch, but everyone else does)

Stan sultan February 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Sing off was by far the most talented group of singers ever on one stage . Can’t believe it’s gone. Please bring it back

Anonymous February 13, 2013 at 12:23 am

Please bring it back. It was one of the best singing shows on tv. Real singing. After the success of pitch perfect you can see acapella is strong in this country.