The Unusuals: ABC Cancels Cop Dramady, No Season Two

The UnusualsABC won’t be making its official announcement until tomorrow but the axe has already fallen for midseason’s The Unusuals.

The dramady revolves around a dysfunctional but effective group of New York City cops. The series features the talents of Amber Tamblyn, Jeremy Renner, Harold Perrineau, Joshua Close, Monique Gabriela Curnen, Kai Lennox, Terry Kinney, Adam Goldberg, Ryan O’Nan, Ian Kahn, Kat Foster, Heather Burns, Robert Funaro, and George Aloi.

The ABC show debuted on April 8th to a disappointing 6.83 million viewers and a 2.1/6 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. The following week, the numbers fell to 6.01 million and a 1.8/5. The network tried a different timeslot but the numbers were worse and subsequently fell to a terrible 4.74 million and a 1.4/4.

Though ABC really wanted to find a new cop drama, it became pretty clear that this one wasn’t going to be it. The network has opted to cancel The Unusuals rather than order a second year.

Their official schedule will be announced tomorrow but show creator Noah Hawley has already been informed that the show is dead.

He twittered, “Friends, just heard The Unusuals will not be back for a second season. Thanks for all your amazing support.” He later wrote, “It’s a tough loss.”

There are four episodes left in season one and ABC will begin airing them next week, on May 27th.

Malen March 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Still hoping they will bring this back. Love the show.

hannah July 11, 2013 at 5:22 am

Well THANKS for ruining my life. I absolutely loved this show! What the hell

DS September 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Agree with all the above – if a series doesn’t have the “F” word throughout and lots of blood, guts and guns it is cancelled. This one was quick, funny, and smart – so it gets cancelled.

Thanks to Netflix for showing it. Maybe shows like this and Kidnapped should be revived.

emma June 13, 2011 at 12:20 am

just watched the entire season straight through. absolutely loved it. i don’t watch a whole lot of tv anymore because of the stupidity factor. popular shows seem to cater towards the dum mass and make the rest of us dummer. i was so excited with the unusuals because it was hilarious and i fell in love with each of the characters. the writing was so good and refreshing, i actually chuckled through each episode. imagine the shock i got when i found out that it was cancelled. i don’t get ‘glee’, but i really got ‘the unusuals’. this is my beef with the world, why is poor taste always the popular choice.

donnyV May 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I think you mean “dumb” and “dumber”? But yeah, I couldn’t agree more with your message. Seems that all of the good shows get cut prematurely, while the bad ones just go on and on and on… when are these TV execs finally gonna get it!!???

tricia May 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

the show was great..loved the first season..in what sucks the most is we all will never know what happens..the show was just getting started..i wanted to know what Walsh was hiding..in everyone else..man this really blows..abc is always cancelling somethings..cancel the stuff that sucks not the good stuff..lik hello..wtf abc?

dw February 4, 2011 at 8:54 am

What the hell is wrong with TV executives? Cable, pay, broadcast…it doesn’t seem to matter. They’re all run by idiots. It’s been happening for years…HBO cancels Deadwood, Showtime cancels Huff, HBO cancels ROME, network tv cancels Studio 60 but keeps 30 Rock…it goes on and on. They’re killing any and decent shows that come along. Why don’t they just make every show about farting and get it over with. Next thing you know they’ll cancel Modern Family.

Joy DeSantis January 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Again, I can’t believe I find a great new show that has great writers and is
very humours and GET’S cancelled. I am watching it on Netflix’s and decided
to look it up to see how many seasons I would get to enjoy. Same thing happened to Kidnapped. What is wrong with the executive teams. Bring back the great shows.
I could only get through 3 espisodes of Lost and I can’t believe that show would
last over the Unusuals or Kidnapped.
Getting very discouraged.

pam zerviah November 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm

So just finished the full run on netflix…I HATE that you find a great show, really really smart writing and good story lines where you actually laugh out loud and then it’s cancelled. It’s like an unexpected death. What about the MRI results? Same thing happened when I finished In Plain Sight. Is that one coming back? arrrg! Stop creating for the watered down audience in Bum Huck Arkansas and go buy yourself a shirt with a backbone in it stupid abc executive team. Wants mo’ smatt stough!!!

LeeOz October 26, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Those ABC execs will get the axe some day as well; can’t wait for that.

No soul, just cold hard cash… sad

zimmerbeast September 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

I basically agree with everyone else here. I too am watching this on netflix and I love this show. Thoses retard execs do not know what a good television show is. There has been so many shows that I like cancelled for no apparent reason other than profit. Which is why I really don’t even watch much television anymore anyway.