Three Rivers: CBS Pulls Alex O’Loughlin Medical Drama; Cancelled?

Three RiversTo little surprise, CBS has pulled Three Rivers from the Sunday night schedule, effective immediately. Will the show be back? Has it been cancelled?

Three Rivers follows a group of dedicated doctors and medical staffers who help those in need of organ transplants. The series stars Alex O’Loughlin, Katherine Moennig, Daniel Henney, Justina Machado, Christopher Hanke, Amber Clayton, and Alfre Woodard.

The medical drama got off to a slow start in the ratings back in early October. Unfortunately, the numbers only got worse as the weeks wore on and it became a likely candidate for early cancellation.

To CBS’ credit, the network has been patient with the series and has kept it on the air. Two weeks ago, the network tried switching timeslots with Cold Case. While the veteran crime drama benefited from the time change and attracted more viewers, Three Rivers did not.

Three Rivers has now been pulled from the Sunday night schedule. As expected, Cold Case will slip into the earlier timeslot and repeats of various crime dramas will take over at 10pm.

A CBS spokesperson has said that Three Rivers’ fate has not yet been decided but the network has not ordered any additional installments beyond the initial 13 episodes.

TV show supportEight episodes of the drama have been aired, leaving five on the shelf. CBS will likely burn them off either on Saturdays or during the summer months but, unless the execs have a major change of heart, Three Rivers is essentially cancelled.

What do you think? What went wrong with Three Rivers? Is Sunday night football to blame for the show’s failure to attract more viewers or was the show flawed?

Trish January 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

So sad that such a well-done, clean and uplifting show cancelled! But I agree, bad night to have it on. So much trash out there … finally a good show, and it’s gone.

Tlf January 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I just watched this show on Netflix I find it very disappointing that they cancelled it! It was a great show a lot of people I know are very disappointed! :(

Shelly December 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Faboulous show…..far better than ER in my opinion. Caught it on netflix and it was such a let down when I finished the episodes. I loved the emotional intensity of it.

Kaye December 3, 2012 at 5:31 am

Seems like everyone loved the show. Shame on CBS for yanking a really great drama. I actually wanted to cry when they pulled it. And yet..we STILL have How I Met Your Mother, Two Broke Girls and Mike and Molly, UGH

Christopher C Weddle November 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Three Rivers was amazing

Jessica November 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm

This was a great show. Very sad it didn’t make it. You saw the story from both sides, the families who lost and the families that gained from the transplants. It should still be on the aire maybe a different day due to football.

anonymous August 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I loved three rivers .. its a really great show. When I seen it on netflix I could not stop watching it.

Tasha June 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

While the time slot did seem to hurt 3rivers chances, I was often dismayed by the “wrong” feeling of waiting for someone to die so Andy could work his magic. The premise missed the mark and writers waited too long for the good story lines to be featured. Uncle Mike and Andy’s wife to name a couple. Plus the boat just passed them by on hot Asian dude! Where was the writing?! Mandy P and the daisy chain were my favorite transplant eps. Oh well! Long live Hawaii 5 O muhalo

Kristina Stinnette March 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I caught a couple episodes on TV when they aired and then missed several. Sunday night is a bad night. I’ve been catching up on what I missed on Netflix. I liked the way they balanced Treating Patients, verses Patient Personal Stories and the Doctors personal stories which kept the show flowing nicely. Great show, wish they could release it on a different channel, day and time or something.

Sharyn March 25, 2012 at 5:26 am

I just “found” this show and I really enjoyed it. While not “ER” during that show’s glory days, it was a very good, moving drama with good performances and it dealt with a very important subject. Too bad that it did not survive.

andy March 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm

This was an awesome show just finished it on netflix probably a bad time to air on sunday night.

gabrielle stafford February 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I loved Three Rivers and thought it to be a great show. I agree that football may have played a great deal in many people not watching, but I also think that it was such a clean tv show, no killing, no violence and no sex, it didn’t hold the people of this heartsick generation attention.

Kyle February 12, 2012 at 7:01 am

I agree with what others have said. This is a great medical series and its sad to see it stop.

Lawrence January 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I found Three Rivers on Netflix and thought it was great. I do not watch TV , but based on what I see and hear about TV shows, Three Rivers didn’t have a chance because it was good clean drama and who likes that after all. Another sign of our sick society. I think American society needs a heart transplant.

Anonymous July 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Right on! If there were more like Three Rivers, I might actually consider watching television again. Good message, great drama.

Kricket November 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm

What a bummer. I’m watching it now on Netflix. It is one of the best shows I’ve seen on TV in a long, long time.