Trauma: NBC TV Show Cancelled (for the Second Time); No Season Two

Trauma cancelledTo no surprise whatsoever, NBC has cancelled their Monday night medical TV show, Trauma — for real this time.

Trauma revolves around a group of brave first responder paramedics in San Francisco. The high-action series is populated by an ensemble cast that includes Derek Luke, Cliff Curtis, Anastasia Griffith, Kevin Rankin, Aimee Garcia, Billy Lush, Jamey Sheridan, and Taylor Kinney.

The NBC series got off to a poor start last fall with just a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.68 million viewers. The ratings fell from there and the show was essentially cancelled when the network decided not to order additional episodes beyond the initial baker’s dozen.

Then, in large part because the show was still in production and NBC needed additional original programming, the network ordered an additional seven episodes. Viewership continued to fall and NBC cut back their additional order to five installments. The last one aired on April 26th.

Though NBC has a lot of slots to fill on the 2010-11 schedule, Trauma’s ratings were just too low to pay for a second season. It’s been cancelled after 18 episodes.

Though devoted fans may mourn the series’ demise, a consolation might be that they got five more episodes than the ratings realistically warranted.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Trauma won’t be back next season? Any thoughts on how you would have wrapped up the series?

Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I just watched the whole 1st season on Netflix and got online to see when season 2 starts… damn that just blew my bubble!

Tracie June 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

This is the most awesome medical drama ever!,,,,,BRING IT BACK.

Sam June 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love the show it’s to bad NBC had to cancel it.

Angel June 13, 2011 at 7:05 am

I can say this show did grab my attention and I enjoyed it to a degree. Working in the EMS field (911 response) in southern california I can say that some points were missed and others were blown out of proportion. “Bringing out the dead” a 1980’s movie staring nicholas cage was a good insight and could have been used as reference to work from in terms of a system status deployment and the riggers that come with it. Overrall I would like to have seen this show continued but with more input and emphessis on the type of people within the EMS community without the lack of experience from actors portraying us. I say give it another go with a different angle on things and add more realism to the actual calls we respond to because not every call is so dramatic. Hollywood failed the EMS community on this one.

michelle June 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Bring Back Trauma with all its original people! I loved the show and hated that it was cancelled. It was an awesome show!!

Jessi May 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm

BRING IT BACK :(

Eric May 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I just want to say that I agree with all the other’s above!!! Trauma was a great show and was looking forward to the next season! NBC needs to pull their heads from between a dark place and give the show another shot!

Anonymous May 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I never even heard about the show i just came across it on netflix over the weekend and watched the whole season one within a few days not many shows can keep my attention but im sad to hear that it is cancelled they probably should have advertised it more so more people knew it was on.

Lisa May 25, 2011 at 11:26 am

same here, didn’t know abt show, just happen to see on Netflix, and Ive enjoyed every minute. Cant believe they canceled, I dont think the advertised well.

FRIDRIKKA May 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I love this show please bring it back.

Faith May 19, 2011 at 12:08 am

You should bring back Trauma.. It was an amazing show, not a dull moment. I really don’t know what NBC is thinking but they need to stop and pull out the stick from there a&$ and bring this show back. You need to give these shows a chance to get an audience. One season was not enough for people to catch on to the show. I work a crazy shift and now with Netflix I get to catch up on my shows. I started watching Trauma this month on Netflix and was blown away with this show. This is one of the reason why I don’t watch much TV anymore cause you start to like a show and they cancel it. Just bring the show back. NBC you need to stop cancelling good shows.

Cristal May 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Dammit!!!!!!! That show was awsome it was super interesting don’t think it should have gotten cancelled, it sucks I am really gonna miss that show :(.

Sandy April 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I just started watching season 1. And I’m highly upset to hear that there will not be a season 2. Nbc and other stations dont realize that it takes more than a year.for a show to get noticed…. I wish they would.stop canceling shows…it’s getting pointless even trying to bother to watch tv bc they always get canceled.

Patty April 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Same for me…I finally found a show I LIKE and they can it. They did the same thing to Alias and Commander in Chief – both were great shows. Whoever is running the network is an idiot. They keep moving shows around and you can’t find them, then they say no one’s watching..well..DUH.

Katie April 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm

as someone who works in the medical field, it’s refreshing to see a show that depicts the ER and life as it actually is: messy, and without all the emotional drama! There’s friendship, bosses, real-life situations, you win some, you lose some. This show was perfect! Nothing like Grey’s Anatomy and all the other medical dramas.

marie April 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

i loved trauma it was a great show different and the people had great chemistry together im really getting tired of getting rid of some shows but others they give many chances different days and time slots