Trauma: NBC TV Show Cancelled (for the Second Time); No Season Two

Trauma cancelledTo no surprise whatsoever, NBC has cancelled their Monday night medical TV show, Trauma — for real this time.

Trauma revolves around a group of brave first responder paramedics in San Francisco. The high-action series is populated by an ensemble cast that includes Derek Luke, Cliff Curtis, Anastasia Griffith, Kevin Rankin, Aimee Garcia, Billy Lush, Jamey Sheridan, and Taylor Kinney.

The NBC series got off to a poor start last fall with just a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.68 million viewers. The ratings fell from there and the show was essentially cancelled when the network decided not to order additional episodes beyond the initial baker’s dozen.

Then, in large part because the show was still in production and NBC needed additional original programming, the network ordered an additional seven episodes. Viewership continued to fall and NBC cut back their additional order to five installments. The last one aired on April 26th.

Though NBC has a lot of slots to fill on the 2010-11 schedule, Trauma’s ratings were just too low to pay for a second season. It’s been cancelled after 18 episodes.

Though devoted fans may mourn the series’ demise, a consolation might be that they got five more episodes than the ratings realistically warranted.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Trauma won’t be back next season? Any thoughts on how you would have wrapped up the series?

Canceled and renewed TV show

636 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. dany ghaziri says

Its very disappointing that there’s no season 2, it was a really good shot in my opinion EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN’T REFLECT THE TRUE PARAMEDIC PROTOCOLS IN THE US, i don’t give a squat.
    It was shown in Lebanon :)

2. Morgan says

I am extremely disappointed there is not a season two. I love this show. I watched the entire season in two days and I was hoping there was more.

3. Mary Ann Melville says

This show was awful! What a completely inaccurate depiction of what happens in the ‘day to day’ life as a paramedic, EMT or trauma team member. The lives of EMS professionals are not glamorous, but they are fulfilling; this show is an embarrassment to those professionals (and I would know, I was a flight paramedic for 9 years and a paramedic for an additional 5)!!

• Mariya says

Shows are not supposed to be based on real “day to day life”. In fact, it was probably made this way on purpose to intertain fans. Based on your knowledge of real life at work, you criticized a very good show based on it’s reality.

4. Jen says

Worst show ever. VERY innaccurate! As a medical professional I was shocked at the poor insight to what first responders and flight crews experience. Just awful. I couldn’t even get thru the first episode.

• Mariya says

Sorry to hear that you judge shows based on their reality, but a little fantasy ads a spark on it. Without fantasy this show wouldn’t be so interesting.

5. Maggie says

Watch this series on Hulu. Great cast, great stories, action-packed. What more could viewers want. Great show! Bummed there’s no more to watch :-(

6. Michele says

Sad that alleged poor ratings ended this show. Weren’t this show was not started in the Monday night deadzone opposite FOOTBALL maybe it would have had the ratings. That time slot is where NBC sends shows to die

7. Bianca says

I’m so upset they cancelled this series and just left me hanging with no real proper ending. it’s a shame because i really did enjoy this show. :(

8. Roeliieen says

It’s to bad! Trauma is a great serie!! The end sucks give it a propper ending instead of this…
    I watched it online because here in Holland is it not on tv but i love it!!

(Sorry for the bad english!)

• Mariya says

The ending “sucks” because there was supposed to be season 2, but it got canceled due to the low budget.

9. says

I have never been a big fan if TV series as there is so much rubbish out there and also a huge concentration on reality TV.. So when by pure accident you come across a programme that well written and acted you have to appreciate… But yet again something as good as this show has fallen in the juggle of too much mediocrecacy tv…

I live in London so maybe we don’t count, but when you produce something as good as this you should find ways to fight for it…

• Laurie says

I knew there was only one season of Trauma but bought it anyways on dvd. I really liked it. I qasnt crazy about how they ended the last episode at all and just sad it ended altogether. I thought it was a really good show.

10. SkaistÄ— says

So why Trauma can’t be public by CBS, Fox or ABC? The are other channal who can show new Trauma season :) And yes Trauma was shown in Lithuania :)

• Mariya says

Different channels have their own contracts. It could of ben possible that Trauma’s producer didn’t agree with any of their contracts that s/he was offered.

11. Taylor says

I am very dissapointed with NBC. I have been watching this 4 days straight online to finish this & I realized there is no second season. This has been my FAVORITE medical show besides House & ofcourse, that show ended as well. PLEASEEEEEEE bring it back. Or, atleast give it a proper goodbye instead of leaving it like that.

12. Nick says

What are networks thinking? ABC pulls 666 Park Ave which people seemed to enjoy and NBC pulls Trauma which was one of the best shows I have seen on TV. I guess if it isn’t Kardashians or Jersey Shore stupidity then it doesn’t belong on TV right? What is this world coming too?? Sad…