Ugly Betty: ABC Show Cancelled, No Season Five

Ugly Betty cancelledAfter four years on the air, ABC has decided to pull the plug on Ugly Betty. There won’t be a fifth season but will longtime fans get a true series finale?

Ugly Betty debuted in 2006 and follows young Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) as she navigates her way through the world of high-fashion, working at the trendy magazine Mode. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

After being a modest hit for its first two seasons, the series’ viewership dropped to an average of eight million viewers and a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demo last year. That would usually put a series “on the bubble” but ABC gave it an early renewal. It was pretty clear that the network wanted to try to keep it going to accumulate more episodes for the syndication package.

Should Ugly Betty have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The network assigned the series to a Friday night timeslot this season, hoping that the loyal fans would follow it there. Not many did. After cancelling Eastwick, they moved Ugly Betty to a better slot, on Wednesday nights. The ratings haven’t been very good there either.

The show’s fate seemed essentially sealed by Ugly Betty’s syndication deal. While episodes of The Mentalist and NCIS: Los Angeles sold for about $2.2 million each in syndication, Ugly Betty episodes have been licensed to the TV Guide Network for “a low six figures.”

TV show supportToday, the network and production team made a joint statement, saying, “We’ve mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty’s final season, and are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion. We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell.”

What do you think? Are you surprised that the show’s been cancelled? What would you like to see happen before Ugly Betty goes off the air?

James December 19, 2011 at 12:15 am

I have never ever been a person who gets caught up in a TV series. I’ve never had a show touch me in so many ways. I am a male for GOD sakes! The moment I started wathing this show, it drew me to it. The acting, the charaters, the scenes are simply outstanding. Ther performances were so well hearsed. It has been the only things to ever keep my attention and wanting more. It has the best story and season 4 was amazing! It touched my heart, my life, and made me addicted to this TV series. I can only hope one day I get closure with a movie and a 5th season. America Ferrera is amazing. Vanessa Williams was phenomonal, and Hilda, Justin, Mark, Daniel, and Amanda are all outstanding actors. I will forever follow you in all of your successes. I look forward to your future.

Daniela November 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I have to say that in our country we have only seen the first and the second season. I have seen all of them with the help of the web. I will be very disappointed if there isn’t going to be a closure in the story of Betty’s life. I wanna see how the two start dating, hold hands and share their first kiss, I cannot imagine all that in my head. I have to enjoy all this with my eyes, because in that hour that the episode lasts I become Betty. I really hope that there will be a 5 th season so that the audience, the watchers, will get a closure in the story of Betty and Daniel.

Love Daniela from Slovenia.

Nihal October 28, 2011 at 8:34 am

That’s is really bad Ughly Betty is my favorite T.V show I could watch it all day and never get board. They really have to make at least season 5

Jade October 14, 2011 at 7:04 am

I’m sad I wish that there was a season 5 I have watched all 4 season’s one of the best shows I have ever seen

Imad September 30, 2011 at 1:29 am

hey i am Saddened that they took off this amazing show :( but i am ready to cheer on for a 5th SEASON we want Ugly Betty We want Ugly Betty we want Ugly Betty! PLEASE!!!! such a great show…If a show can make your day when you are DOWN so Obviously that show has something More and so what if the ratings arent that great C’mon ABC! please :)

Anonymous September 29, 2011 at 7:36 am

Ugly Betty was a great light hearted tv show which I trully enjoyed watching. The end was perfect, I am so glad this tv series was made.

Jasmin September 16, 2011 at 10:53 pm

They NEED to make a fifth season of Ugly Betty! The ending left me wanting more! Also, the reason why the number of viewers dropped was because you the time showings changed too much! So give season number five! Please.

leah September 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

i cant believe this show was cancelled the acting is amazing the characters are amazing. ugly Betty should blow minds. and make millions of dollars not only is this show funny and awesome. it shows morals and respect. and it shows how people really are in the world. i love this show. I’ve stayed up all night for the past 4 days watching the first 4 seasons. and now i come to look up my favorite characters and see this show is cancelled. i think it was a great story, i hate to see this show be over. i wish they would bring it back and give it a second try. i love Betty i love what she stands for. please bring this show back. people who don’t have interest in this show obviously have bad taste. America Ferrera did such a unique and great job. so many of these episodes have left me crying thinking of my own life. i love my ugly Betty. please come back before i finish this season.

Amy August 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

BOOOOOOOOO, do not cancel this amazing,wonderful,funny,awesome,best show EVER!!!!!
Season 4 episode 20 just ends with Betty and Daniel in London, we are all hoping to get to see them and their new journey together!!!! Dont take it away from all the loyal viewers!!!!

Serena August 19, 2011 at 4:32 am

Please let there be a season 5! I need to know where Betty and Daniel end ! And if Wilhelmina is going to change are still going to be the same bitch ( what i like )
Or they have to make a movie how they all end !

Serena August 19, 2011 at 4:33 am

where they all end , sorry , my fould.

katie August 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm

this is one of the best show i have ever seen i will be so sad to see it go. there defiantly has to be at least one more episode.

Jill July 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

Watched all four seasons on Hulu over the last few weeks and am now sadden to see that it wont return!!!! Definitely want to know if Betty and Daniel made a go of it! Very sad indeed!!!!

Lauren July 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I know they are putting a season five… I myself was an ugly betty minus the fashion and braces.. Im highly addicted I started watching the reruns and the fourth season ended and then started off again with the first… I need to know what happens!!!!!!!!!!

Geet Gahir June 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

i agree with veronica ugly betty is pretty much my role model cause of this i want to do into fashion i am currently studying a levels hoping to go into the fashion field as a career. i really enjoyed all series season 5 or a movie at least is needed!!

Veronica June 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm

definitely needs to be a season 5 or a movie!! I came across Ugly Betty on Netflix. My husband and I started watching and could not stop!! We LOVE the show and all the characters!! Hilarious writing and fabulous acting! We really REALLY hope this is not the last we see of Ugly Betty!!!

Aillet Mascorro July 23, 2011 at 6:53 am

I agree I came across this show in netflix however I have seen the show in spanish many years ago and I loved it so I decided to watch this one and just couldn’t stop watching it. This show is actually better than the spanish version! So much more comedy, drama and fun clothes! Please bring back a season 5 so I can have some meaningful comedy. Not everyone enjoys wasting time watching “gossip girl” and “the hill”. We are begging! Please season 5….I will be waiting in the couch.