Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Nicole May 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Bring back weeds

Edna May 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Season 8 left too many questions unanswered.

Tammy May 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Please bring back Weeds it needs to continue. My husband and I watch this everyday. We have bought every season so when it isn’t on the air we can continue to watch it. It’s our special movie night series.. So saddened by the choice of Showtime. This is a truly loved TV series.. Please bring it back..

Juda May 4, 2013 at 12:15 am

screw you showtime

Anonymous April 29, 2013 at 11:58 am

please can you start up weeds again. it is my favorite show and it has changed my way of seeing life. I hate the fact that I cant watch it anymore.. please put more of it back on again.

delilah April 28, 2013 at 8:34 pm

weeds petition on facebook 28,000 likes already like it if yu want weeds back!!

Francis April 27, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I think the series ended beautifully. I did not want it to end. I guess I wanted them to stay put and always be with one another. This really hit home for me and I just finished watching the last season on Netflix today. Reminds me a lot of my family minus the drugs. We all are so close but soon we will part. I can’t explain it I’m just feeling a certain way and I love weeds! Amazing show. All good things must come to an end. I hope this is the final season forever. This series took me thru many emotions. Thanks for creating such a great show.

delilah April 27, 2013 at 10:37 pm

i love weeds its one of my favorite shows nd i was super sad when i found out that it was being cancelled i wish they could keep it going for at least one more season. now i have nothing good to watch

tommy p April 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm

one of the very best shows i have had the privilege to watch from season 1 to the final episode. the writers are the very best and the actors all were very good, so realistic, couldn’t ask for much better, thanks for the great entertainment, only wish it could go on another 8 seasons….so sad thank you

Jerry Fitzpatrick April 25, 2013 at 2:04 am

I love the show and will really miss not having more seasons. Please continue with the season!!

chris savoia April 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

Plz bring weeds back.

Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Don’t take weeds off!!!!! This the only show I actually got into. i love weeds!!! Andy was hilarious! And nancy was sexy;)

Samantha April 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Please don’t take Weeds off the air……..This was the only show I had to watch, enjoyed, and looked forward to weekly. I mean the ending of Season 8 could have been interpreted in many ways…..maybe them all coming out siting together (including Andy) could mean that they are going to start over with each other……Maybe little Stevie wants to try and become like his father being that he just found out the Truth about him……He may change his name to Esteban and gain back the people who used to work for his dad, with Geuermo’s help….I don’t know…..Anything…..Just bring it back somehow. I cancelled my Showtime Subscription when I found that it was over, but I will definitely subscribe again if WEEDS come Back….PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

nick reedy April 21, 2013 at 1:28 am

this was a masterfully done show, with a tear jearking and heartwarming ending. havent enjoyed a show this much since scrubs!

TIFFANY April 14, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Please Dont Take Weeds off this is one of the only shows that i can watch and actually enjoy….it has changed my life