Whodunnit?: Cancel or Keep the ABC Mystery Series?

WHODUNNIT? cancel or keep?Since June, ABC has been airing a murder mystery reality series called Whodunnit?. Has the show been making a killing in the ratings? Should the network cancel or renew it for a second season?

Whodunnit? follows a group of 13 contestants who have been invited to stay in a Beverly Hills mansion. Guided by host/butler Giles (Gildart Jackson), they try to solve the “murders” of other contestants, uncover the killer’s identity, and survive long enough to ultimately win a $250,000 prize.

The show debuted on June 23rd to a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.05 million total viewers. It wasn’t a very impressive start and the second episode’s ratings dropped more than 20%, to a 1.0 rating and 3.19 million viewers. The numbers have stayed at roughly those levels ever since.

The ratings are pretty lousy but the small audience has remained consistent and loyal. While ABC could justifiably cancel Whodunnit?, something tells me they may give it a second chance anyway.

The network sometimes decides to give struggling shows a bit more time. For example, they could have cancelled Shark Tank after one season but decided to stick with it instead. Their patience was rewarded and it’s grown into a hit show on Friday nights. Whodunnit? might be lucky as well.

But, what do you think? Should ABC renew Whodunnit? for a second season or should they cancel it instead? Have you been watching each week?

eddie January 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm

ALFRED HITCHCOCK would be proud to see a show with this many twist and turns the farther along it goes until the suprize ending.
EGAR ALLEN POE would also be interested in the show with as much blood and guts-murder and mayhem that it has.
as two of my favorite authors would be, so am i. my family sat and watched every episode and we even went so far as to discuss the clues, write down who we thought was it in envelopes unti l the end. we laughed-looked, just as the game of CLUE, kept our, or some observations secret.
keep what is good like this for bringing a family together with cell phones off and quility time together. so keep it. or wonder not WHODUNNIT but WHYDIDTHEY not watch our other shows.

Vincent January 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Please let there be a season 2. Anthony Zuiker tweeted that his boss at ABC Reality got replaced (the head of ABC’s Reality programming), so that’s why Whodunnit is up in the air. Of course, it sounded like the outgoing person was receptive to a second season of Whodunnit.

The show was great, especially as a summer show. Once I realized it wasn’t going to be The Mole or Murder In Small Town X (my initial hopes for the show), I grew to love it for what it was – Good campy fun.

A lot of times with these shows, people who miss the first episode feel like they missed too many clues and won’t be able to figure out who the killer or mole is, so they never tune in. A second season gives the people who missed season one a chance to start fresh with a new murderer to find. The networks usually look at the first season ratings and think people aren’t interested, rather than realizing people want to start on day one. Then they cancel the show and never get to find out that new people would watch the second season.

Tyler December 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm

If they dont renew this show, I am going to be very, very mad. The creator of the show made a book of it, along with a second book, so if they do do this second season, the book would probably be a reference. This show gave me Sundays to look forward to, along with my family. And I do agree with Randy Congdon about them changing up the finale, along with other things that they do with it, but this show does have a lot of potential for a second season. Even if the Second season isn’t as great as the first, I will defiantly not miss one episode of it. :)

rick December 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm

only have 4 little words to say
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
HAVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SEASONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN2

Rick December 6, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Yes! I can’t wait to watch Season Two of WHODUNNIT on -
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC !

Rick December 4, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Hopeful news! Go to ‘Whodunnit season 2. com’ and keep your fingers crossed with me.

admin December 4, 2013 at 11:43 pm

That address (without the spaces) doesn’t work for me. What do you see?

Rick December 4, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I am one of those ‘loyal’ fans of this wonderful show. Along with ‘What Would You Do?’, it is what keeps me scouring the tv guide for your innovative entertainment. And I am generally impressed. I couldn’t wait to tune in for every episode of ‘WhoDunnit?’ and I don’t do that with that many other shows. I love it because it is different from the usual fare and because it makes me smile, laugh, think, hope for or against a contestant’s survival, and to see if I can figure out the week’s ending. I have my daughter anxiously awaiting for the next round in 2014, ( HOPEFULLY! ). I’ sure that this will be a very popular show even though it got off to a slow start. I think I can tell a winner when I see one, and this show is just that. If, or should I say, when, you begin the next season, please do a bit more advertising. Also, I think some viewers may have gotten it confused with ‘What Would You Do?’ because of the similar title. In any event, thanks for delivering what I consider to be a top-rated endeavor.

Judy November 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Loved the show. Didn’t want to miss an episode, so I made sure to tape it. All my family always watched it. I keep hoping they renew it.

FallerWanderer October 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I might be a Disney girl at heart, but I loved Whodunnit. The graphics were realistic, the puzzles challenging. And Giles. Dear gosh, Giles.

JTmom October 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Oh please oh please oh please let there be a second season. I had so much fun watching this show. My husband and I would go back and forth with who we thought “The Killer” was. My mother is a big fan of murder mysteries which has been instilled in me. It’s like a real life “Clue” game and I had a blast watching it and trying to concoct my own plan of how each horrific “murder” took place. Scream if you want a Season 2. Yay!!

Ali September 29, 2013 at 3:18 pm

We hope you keep Whodunnit. Although it was a little slow once in a while, overall it was interesting. We never missed an episode. The actors were a little stiff before they had to be, but overall very enjoyable.

JetPac September 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

Whodunnit was a big flop for me…all the contestants were very bad actors posing as
real life people…It stunk

RDM December 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

They’re not even actors.. They’re real people. I’ve been watching Adrianna Iwasinski on news 9 here in OKC for years

Stefanie September 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I absolutely love whodunnit I need to see another season

Anna September 1, 2013 at 1:09 am

Yes!! Loved the show.
It was kinda slow in the beginning but it picked up !!!

Ruth August 30, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I loved Whodunnit! I only missed 2 on tv, but watched the full episode online the next day! I hope they keep it!

Sydney August 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I loved Whodunnit me and my friend watched it every Sunday we kept on guessing until the end. We were always on the edge of our seat. please let season 2 to begin. I loved it!!!!!

Randy Congdon September 2, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I loved the show, but they will have to change the way they do the finale if the decide to renew. Otherwise fans will know what to expect. The suspense worked the first time, and if the writers do their job creatively as they did this past season, my wife and I will stay hooked. By the way, neither of us were even close on the identity of “THE KILLER” until the first few minutes of the finale. We loved the mystery. Please keep this show.