10 Things I Hate About You: ABC Family Series Cancelled, No Season Three

10 Things I Hate About YouThe executive producer of ABC Family’s 10 Things I Hate About You has confirmed that the TV show has been cancelled after two seasons. How quickly things can change.

Based on the film of the same name that starred Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Heath Ledger, 10 Things I Hate About You revolves around two very different high school sisters and their friends and partners. The series features the talents of Lindsey Shaw, Meaghan Jette Martin, Ethan Peck, Nicholas Braun, Dana Davis, Larry Miller, Kyle Kaplan, Ally Maki, Chris Zylka, Jolene Purdy, Allie Gonino, and Suzy Nakamura.

The series got off to a great start in July 2009 and ABC Family touted it as the cable channel’s biggest comedy debut to date. It attracted 1.6 million viewers and 734,000 in the coveted 18-49 demo. The news got even better by week four as the show’s ratings grew to 1.8 million viewers and 782,000 in the demo. Season one ended up averaging 1.3 million viewers.

To no surprise, ABC Family renewed the series for a second season of another 10 episodes.

Should 10 Things have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, something happened between seasons one and two. When the 10 Things returned in late March, a lot of the show’s viewers didn’t. Thus far, it’s been averaging just 983,000 viewers. That’s enough for ABC Family to pull the plug, just 10 months after the show’s highly touted debut.

The show’s creator and executive producer, Carter Covington, announced the show’s fate on Twitter: “Sad news… ABCFamily canceled the show :-( Thanks 2 our AMAZING fans – U R the reason I do this! Enjoy the last 5 eps – they’re fantastic!”

The remaining five episodes of 10 Things will continue to roll out until May 31st. Since the cancellation comes as a surprise, there’s no word if the series finale will include closure or if storylines will be left unresolved.

What do you think? Based on the ratings, did ABC Family make the right decision regarding 10 Things I Hate About You? Are you sorry to see the show go? What happened?

Canceled and renewed TV show

694 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. beckii says

please bring the show back I watched all 20 episodes and I neeeeeeeedddd to know what happens next im from the UK and if you put it on a popular channel more ppl would know about it an watch it and love it how could you cancel it?

2. Maddy says

Ok look that show was awsome and everyone wants it back so I and everyone els say bring back the show so why don’t you bring the show back you can not end a show like that. That show was the Best show I have ever seen in my life.

3. Callie says

PLEASE BRING BACK THE SHOW!! Even if the people look older I don’t think a lot of us fans will care! The people who cancelled the show made a horrible mistake! If they did one more season and ended it with a good ending people would stop complaining. Plus they might even make money from all the curious and angry people who are just want to see the ending.

4. Diana says

I’m not from US and havent watched it at Its premiere but after 20 episodes marathon in one weekend i remained so disapointed. Not only the show stopped but also with no closure. That’s so mean, please ABC ask it back!!

5. Marielle says

Hey Guys! here’s the link to the petition to bring back 10 things! just scroll down and press the highlighted words “Sign the petition” and let’s make ABC Family bring back our favorite tv series during mondays! I Loved This even if I just started watching it today or the other day(absolutely true!) So either click the link or just copy and paste it to your browser and Let’s save 10 things because ABC can’t just leave us hanging on what will happen with Katrick And Kat’s Dad! and they cannot also leave us hanging on what will happen to Bianca and joey too! Here’s the petition aly, Courtney, and shy1 and everybody else who love’s the show 10 things!

Here’s The Website & Link. –> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/10things-i-hate-about-you.html

6. Anonymous says

Hey aly, Courtney, And shy1 and to everybody else who loves the show 10 things! Here’s The Petition to sign to make ABC Family Bring Back 110 Things! Let’s Show ABC How much we love the show a how much they should bring it back cause they can’t just leave us hanging on questions what’s gonna happen to Katrick!? So Just Either click the link below or just copy and paste it onto your browser so that we can be the reason 10 things comes back!(I didn’t make the petition by the way)

Here’s The Link. –> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/10things-i-hate-about-you.html

7. Lousineh says

Please bring back 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU.. It has left me wanting more and it just leaves you on a cliff hanger!!! WHY DO THAT!!! It is just inconsiderate to all the fans that watch and love the show!!!