Alphas: Cancelled by Syfy; No Season Three

Alphas TV show cancelledSad news for fans of Syfy’s Alphas. The show has been cancelled after two seasons and 24 episodes. Dedicated viewers have been waiting patiently to hear about the show’s fate since the second season ended in October.

Three of the show’s actors — Ryan Cartwright, Azita Ghanizada and Warren Christie — broke the cancellation news via Twitter.

Ryan Cartwright, who suspected the show had been canned a few weeks ago, wrote, “Unfortunately #Alphas is cancelled :(”

Azita Ghanizada tweeted, “Sad to say that ALPHAS will not be returning. What an honor to get to play Rachel for 2years & to work w/ & for the MOST AMAZING PEOPLE EVER”

Warren Christie wrote, “Like my buddy @RyanCartwright has reported, unfortunately #Alphas has been cancelled. Thanks for tuning in the last couple of years!!”

Alphas saw a significant drop in its second season ratings. Year one averaged 1.85 million each week with a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic while year two brought 1.3 million with a 0.7 demo rating.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Alphas has been cancelled? Are you surprised?

Canceled and renewed TV show

58 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Donna says

They probably cancelled Alphas so they’d have more money for their incredibly stupid bug movies. I use to watch SyFy all the time but canceling Alphas just gives me another reason to tune into any other network but theirs.

2. Andrew Beet says

why did syfy go and do that for? this series had potential to go to a third series all down to ratings again but why cancel alphas?

3. wipster says

This sucks, but is typical for SyFy… I wonder which reality show they will replace it with? I’ve lost count of the great shows they’ve cancelled after they’ve developed a solid viewership. Do these guys ever take DVR’s into account? I would venture to say that at least a third of the viewers recorded it and watched it later, mainly because the viewers are technologically savvy. Hope they get some good wrestling to fill in that time slot, they have now lost me as a viewer. I used to watch SciFi all the time, now I can’t remember the last time I tuned to that channel.

To kind of quote Charlton Heston, Damn it all to hell!!!

4. Samara says

What a stupid decision! I really liked this show, epescially season two, it really deserved another season! Not to mention that it ended with such a huge cliffhanger, I can’t even pretend to understand why anyone would end it without a conclusion! I’m so tired of this! It used to be mostly the network channels axing good shows, but now, cable channels are making choices that are just as apathetic and moronic, and completely out of touch with the viewing public!!

5. Grandizer says

I wonder if it is a fallout from their ambitious plans for Defiance???

That show is going to cost more money to make then probably Eureka and Alphas combined.

Defiance looks like it is going to tank, it is SyFy’s V takeoff with a tie in to MMORPG, one I will never play nor care about.

6. johne says

When they canceled Eureka and renewed this I was so angry, the fact that they would give up on one of their more higher rated series for one that was consider mediocre by the end of the season. It figures that after giving in and watching the series they would cancel it, truly I no longer know how the TV industry operates. I figured Alphas was renewed due to popularity rather than ratings but if neither high ratings (Eureka) nor popularity is enough to get a series renewed, what is?. Truly the age of scripted TV is dying and this program will likely be replace by yet another crappy reality TV show.

7. Lucas Corso says

Too bad. But I can’t say I’m surprised. Season 2 of Alphas featured some of the smartest and most sophisticated storytelling on TV. So, naturally, it couldn’t draw or hold a substantial audience. I’ve simply come to expect shows featuring good storytelling to get canceled these days. For the most part, it seems as though most TV watchers want insipid reality TV and Ryan Murphy. Sad on both counts. Very sad.

• T2 says

Your comment has very aptly hit the proverbial nail on the non-discriminating head…the menials that run everything from the top pretend to be large and in charge but their seat of power lies solely at the crack of their…well you get the picture. Anything of substantial intelligence gets canned almost immediately these days. I’m glad not to be counted among those who enjoy the nonsense that passes for good television. I say let’s riot and return to the radio show of old where good storytelling had the world believing that the invasion was certainly imminent! And all that accomplished simply through the quality of true arts and entertainment. What a novel idea…

8. penemuel says

I’m very frustrated that it’s been cancelled since they were heading into a very interesting plot. Really would like to know where they were heading with that…

However, if it’s been cancelled, why are they still using it in ads for ‘what’s coming in 2013’? Is there some possibility they’ll get a chance to tie up loose ends?

9. Georgia says

My hubby and I really liked this show and were looking forward to the new season. NOT haoppy heairng this news!

10. Why Watch says

Gave up on SyFy before they rebranded SciFi as SyFy. This network lost its focus and now should be called the dumb reality, movie and wrestling channel. Not really anything much SciFi-ish or SyFy-ish about it anymore; the couple remaining are lost in the crowh.

11. Grandizer says

I hated season 1. EVERY episode featured 1 baddie that one of their goodies could counter.
    There was never any real threat in the show.
    Season 2 was far better, but it was easy to see why people who hated season 1 did not return to see the changes and improvements in season 2.
    There were still problems as always, and sometimes you can tell 3 episodes in advance what was going to happen.
    Who really didn’t know that his daughter wasn’t going to die??? Really???
    But some of the acting was fabulous, dare I say better then the writing deserved.
    Gary was a fantastic display of acting chops, Kudos to you sir! Rachel was not half bad either. A little more convincing to me of the difficulty handling her enhanced senses was needed. Especially after she got zapped and went enhanced to the second power.
    Malik was ok as well, although my remembrance of him in other shows tainted me to him in this show. Always the strong stoic guy will be his niche if he doesn’t change it up.

The sharp shooter and the mind controller were useless, and the Doctor himself was a nonfactor.

Well this is SyFy, so I expect to see some of these people in the Saturday Monster movies soon. Hopefully they will appear in other shows and their acting will be appreciated again.

12. Sonya says

Dislike!!! Another good show disappearing for what more reality crap on Syfy? They are going to have to change the network name because the show do not represent science fiction anymore.