Black Box: Season One Ratings

Black Box on ABC ratingsABC gave Black Box a straight-to-series order and ordered 13 episodes without seeing a pilot first. They held it until late in the season (typically not a good sign) on Thursdays at 10pm as a replacement for their hit show, Scandal. Will Black Box live up to expectations? Will it be a ratings success and earn a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Black Box revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

8/7 update: ABC has cancelled Black Box after one season.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.41 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the Black Box TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

Patricia July 25, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I thought the Black Box was a great show. You do need more advertisement of the show. Switching it to a different time slot midway did not help.

Martine Lille July 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I love the show Black Box. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL!!! Catherine is different and quirky AND unpredictable, which I love. The ending was superb and leaves the show open for a new venue for Catherine and I can’t wait to see what comes next for her.

Kathy Brown July 25, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Finally, a series that looks at the life of a remarkable woman who suffers from bipolar disorder and manages her illness most of the time. This is reality, and the cast of Black Box portrays this life journey superbly! The stories of the patients and the study of the brain address the importance of treating every individual with respect, something we all need to realize for better access to medical treatment for all who suffer, and for all who succeed. We can’t continue to turn a blind eye to the magnitude that mental illness affects society.

Harriett Young July 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Love Black Box and ABC would be crazy not to renew this series. I’m not one to get hooked on dramas but this one held my interest and I looked forward to each and every episode. I will be so disappointed if it does not continue!

Dollzabache July 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I’m a 30 yr old female and I have been hook on this show since I first saw the trailer, never mind the first episode, and I’m not one that usually watches network tv. This show deserves a second season (and not just 13 episodes but a full season). It has a lot of potential and with more air time it can get deeper into the cases and show more depth in the character’s personal life and emotions; it will give the writers the freedom to develop the story arcs at a slower pace with more detail and extend the intensity/tension of the conflict. As mentioned by others, ABC also needs to advertise the show better and not switch the time it airs so much!

carole cecio July 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm

The black box should not be cancelled. Bi polar is such an important subject.Many people have it and it is a scary mental illness.we need shows like this to inform us.L it’s of people don’t even know they have it and the ones that do don’t take medication or see drs. We need these kind of shows. My daughter deals with this

Karen Taylor July 25, 2014 at 11:40 am

PLEASE do not cancel this series. You did not advertise it enough! I would tell people about it and they never heard about it. It is an education in mental illness along with great acting, and yes, even love interest. How can you go wrong? It seems like networks don’t give series enough time to make. Who are these people who take all these ratings? Please bring the series back along with more advertising about it.

Gloria July 25, 2014 at 10:52 am

Send a request for them to renew Black Box. Maybe we can convince them to keep the show on the air. It’s worth a try.

Gloria July 25, 2014 at 10:41 am

I hope last night was not the last episode, although they did tie up a few story lines. My husband and I are older than the targeted demographic group (18-49) and we love this show. It hasn’t gotten sufficient advertising for the show so most people don’t know that it is on the air. Yes, the first couple episodes for ho-hum as we were introduced to the characters and Catherine’s bi-polar disorder, but those of us who hung in there, got hooked quickly. This show reminds me of a another favorite that was on the air for years – House M.D. Please ABC give the show another try and let us see how it plays out.

talia July 25, 2014 at 10:17 am

I’ve loved this show since the pilot, minus the random dancing in the beginning. Mental disease is a real thing and I’d much rather be watching this than a show like Grey’s Anatomy or ER. IMO this show is way more intriguing than those. Out of all the medical based shows Black Box and House are the best and my top favorites! I think it’s absolutely worthy of a second season, third and more. In today’s TV, there’s too many mindless “reality shows” (obviously scripted) on, this is such a nice change of pace to see something so brilliant come along. So I say Bravo Black Box, we needed you! I think what really hurt the ratings was when they were off those few weeks because of sports programing and then came back with a time change. Just my .02¢. Thank God for DVR because I’m still working at 8pm.

Joyce July 25, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hoping to hear that Black Box is renewed. What an ending!!! I don’t like all the reality programs that are out there either. Great story and great actors.

sue July 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

Love it! many people that I know have the same issues that Dr. Black has. It is very very good for an education about bipolar!

Alice July 25, 2014 at 8:06 am

I am so in love with Black Box! Please renew it! The lead character is so intriguing, I’m absolutely riveted watching her! Give the show a chance!

Joana July 25, 2014 at 7:48 am

I’m hooked to this series since the very first episode. It has exceptional actors, great story and it is very well made. If ABC gave a little effort to spread this drama it would be a success.
Yeatarday, was the season finale and could barely sleep thinking about was going to happen next. This has become one of my favourite shows and should DEFENETLY be renewed.

I understand why ratings for 18-49 are so low. I’m 16 and I love this series. This is not made for 18-49 years old. This is for youth or people with more experience in life. Of course, 18-49 would also love it, but they have jobs, and because this series was not publicized, those don’t even now that the series exists!

Finally, great job kelly reilly!! Even if this is the end of black box you deserve an award for your flawless performance!

jake longo July 25, 2014 at 7:42 am

I enjoy watching Black Box . Television needs different variety of dramas. It seems now that everything is leaning towards reality, the occult, killing sprees, and the ‘world ending revolutionaries’ fighting each other. This show has grown on me, as have the characters, and their relationships are getting more interesting to me.