Black Box: Season One Ratings

Black Box on ABC ratingsABC gave Black Box a straight-to-series order and ordered 13 episodes without seeing a pilot first. They held it until late in the season (typically not a good sign) on Thursdays at 10pm as a replacement for their hit show, Scandal. Will Black Box live up to expectations? Will it be a ratings success and earn a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Black Box revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

8/7 update: ABC has cancelled Black Box after one season.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.41 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the Black Box TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

464 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jessie says

This is my favorite show and when I saw that the season was ending I watched the whole season again. Three times!! I love this show soooooooooo much!! Please renew it!! It is by far the best show yet!!

2. Selene says

I didn’t much like the first episode, and almost didn’t watch it again. But I did, and slowly got hooked on it… Now it’s one of my favorites. I hope they don’t cancel it, especially given the dearth of really good TV programs in recent years.

3. Sherrie Breedlove says

It took me 3 or 4 episodes but Im hooked now. Love it. I think it started off kind of crazy and all over the place. There is a great story playing out now.I think summer is a bad time for TV ratings. people are out doors enjoying the summer or vacationing.
    I have actually enjoyed several new shows this summer.
    Would love to see how this show plays out. So many paths this story line can take.
    Would love for it to continue.

4. Lily says

ABC please, please bring back “Black Box”. Interesting stories and actors are fantastic. I adore Kelly Reilly & Ditch Davey as their chemistry is amazing. Enjoyed Vanessa Redgrave in her role as well. LOVE this show!!

5. Rachel says

Definitely one of the more interesting shows on ABC! Would be disappointed if it didn’t return-especially after that finale!!

6. Sunny says

Catherine is an intriguing character. While the actual scenario is not completely plausible, the characters make you think it is!!! I should know, I am a retired surgical technologist and there are times when things get crazy. Doctors committ suicide, have drug problems, have affairs, babies with someone other than their spouse…

7. Robin says

I found this TV show accidentally tonight while surfing! I didn’t even know it existed. Thank goodness, I caught it right at the gripping beginning, where Kelly Reilly (not sure of her character’s name) was begging to keep her job at the hospital. What a brilliant, believable actress! The show had a really good story. Can’t believe I never heard of this show. I REALLY want to see it continue. It’s the best thing I’ve seen for drama, in a long time, except for EXTANT, which I am gradually finding interesting. Black Box ‘got’ me in the first few minutes. Also, it is wonderful that there is a show on that includes people coping with mental problems in their everyday lives. Very few people go through this life unscathed by mental or nervous disorders. Congratulations to and hurray for the writers and actors in this TV series!! I think it is a fantastic show! Please keep it going….(I think this show needs to be advertised more, and I should look at the Guide.)

8. Anonymous says

Absolutely riveting and I can’t wait for season two….nothing like it on tv …so well written and acted. When will season two begin?????

9. Janice says

Love this show. I am older than the 18 to 49 demographic and I am not at all surprised that the ratings are low for that group. That group are too shallow to grasp the intense story, but the series is great. My husband and I watch it every week without fail. Please bring it back, some of us just over the “49” limit need engaging things to watch on TV, which is sorely lacking. Most network TV is junk and often the really good shows only last one or two seasons because the 18 to 49 demographic group isn’t really watching anything that isn’t trashy. Have the networks noticed that USA and TNT have some very good series programming and they seem to be renewed and have viewer. Maybe ABC, CBS and NBC should take notice…it is us older folks that stay home and watch TV.

10. Carolyn says

I really like this show. I hope it gets renewed or at least picked up by another station. I can’t stand so-called reality shows or sit-coms. I enjoy dramas with some intelligence and this show is great. I enjoy that it has a strong woman as the lead; although she has difficulties managing her illness, she is still a brilliant doctor. Of course the fact that it does have a strong female lead is probably what will be the death of the show. The Nielsen’s don’t seem to like strong women as evidenced by short-lived shows like ‘Women’s Murder Club’, ‘Body of Proof’, ‘Killer Women’, ‘Presidio Med’ and numerous others.

11. Maria Aquije says

Please renew the show. I relate to it because I have a child with mental illness.
    I think, the show is informative and educative.

12. Joyce says

I love love loved this series!!! I sure hope it comes back! Love Kelly Reilly and the others! I have been so engrossed in the story line and the medical part if it!! Oh by the way I gave a daughter who is bipolar so it is very enlightening!!! Super show. Please bring it back!!!!

13. Barbie says

I rarely get into “dramas” or stick with a TV series, but Black Box has had me putting my night on hold every Thursday to make sure I catch it. I have fallen in love with everything about the show, the writing, characters, story line, etc….I feel it is one of the more intelligent shows out there and more medically accurate than others. I am a Psych. major so I think it is absolutely awesome to have a brainy show (no pun intended) out there. It may have had a rough start with ratings apparently, but I think it would be a mistake to cancel for a 2nd season. I think this show would really take off more grabbing a bigger crowd as it goes.

• Robin says

I am with you 100%, Barbie. Every word. Like you, also, I rarely watch ‘dramas’,
      but I am hooked on this one.