Breakthrough with Tony Robbins: Host Breaks News About Cancelled Series

Breakthrough with Tony RobbinsThough Breakthrough with Tony Robbins had some positive goals and reviews, the viewers just didn’t show up. The show’s been cancelled by NBC after just two episodes.

Self-help master Tony Robbins broke the unfortunate news to his followers yesterday. He tweeted, “Hey everyone! Despite great critical reviews of our show, it has not pulled a large enough audience for 8 pm.”

After being flooded with well-wishes, Robbins wrote, “Thanks 4 the kind comments. I’m proud of what we created & glad it touched U all ‘In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity’ Einstein”

Though NBC hasn’t announced plans to air the remaining four installments, the network has assured Robbins they will see the light of day.

He reported, “Spoke to head of NBC They say show has loyal following, 3 million ppl would be mega hit on any cable. All specials will air maybe Bravo or [MSNBC.]” (In recent interviews, Robbins has been describing the show as a series of specials.)

Robbins followed that up with “NBC said unfortunate nature of competitiveness on tues 8 pm summer no time for show to build audience…Bravo, or MSNBC may be new distribut”

What do you think? Would Breakthrough with Tony Robbins have attracted as many viewers and been a hit on cable?

Canceled and renewed TV show

124 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

What a shame, I know this is a bit older post but Tony has been a real inspiration to me and has really helped me grow my business. Most people want really quick fixes that don’t actually fix the underlying issue. Tony helped to build my maid service into what it is today.

2. Anne says

I think I agree with the comment posted by Deb. I have been following Robbins for 10 plus years and, at this point, we get a “greatest” hit mentality that is very male, very American and repetitive. I went to a Wealth Mastery seminar in Brussels in the 1990’s (before the prevalance of international online trading) and it was all about the New York Stock Exchange. Which was completely useless to Europeans. His view needs to be more international (where his market is) and less wealth driven.

3. Scubatropin says

Unfortunately, there are too many people that like fast food TV. There are some real lessons in these shows that Tony is bringing to a national audience. Your typical Television attendee is not mature enough to understand or grasp what the lesson is, and because of that people find themselves following the path of least resistance. Many people are not necessarily comfortable watching other people have the good fortune of being behind Tony Robbins’ leadership. Many people like myself know of people that are just as deserving as those that were on the show. As I’ve said in a previous post, somewhat hastefully, most people aren’t aware of how to manage their state, categorize their emotions and certainly not take action. Its with sad recognition that there are too many people out there that are afraid to do anything out of their comfort zones because they feel that they are wasting their time. Time being such a limited commodity for most people as it is.

4. Manuel says

Unbelievable, that a show so postive could be cancelled; as a follower/fan of Tony, I feel i have some blame. I didn’t know anything about the show until today (March 7th 2011). Maybe if more people like me would have tuned in, the show would still be on.

I’ve been watching the episodes on YouTube and I’m hooked.

Maybe “Oprah” can bring it to her channel.

5. says

I can’t believe such a quality show was canceled by NBC.! I never even heard about the show and happened upon it when I googled Tony. It is a top notch show that America needs to have available to keep their hope alive in today’s world. I would have been a faithful viewer, had I been given the chance! Shame on NBC! There’s nothing I will tune in to now on that station, I am quite disgruntled with them. BRING THE SHOW BACK!

6. Margaret says

My email doesn’t work right just now….I’m at my library…..I was very dissapointed to see Tony Robbins cancelled…..not very many good shows on any more….he should be on regularly…..nothing worth watching on tuesdays…..he was and would be an asset…curious to know exactly how you reached your conclusion he wasn’t watched….
    too bad.

7. says

*** I rarely watch tv and just got REALLY excited after seeing this preview on somebody’s blog …… until I found out it was canceled after only 2 shows!!! ***

Tony Robbins says to the woman, “The ability we all have is to face the most enormous challenge – and turn it around.”

& also quoted from the preview I watched, “You don’t sit on the couch while your family’s suffering.”

NBC, your viewers are YOUR family….and they are suffering. Screw your ratings.
    You’re feeding people junk food when there is a much healthier alternative.

And finally, “The price of admission here is if you can’t; you must!”
    Get off the couch and help this country with each individual’s own personal BREAKTHROUGH.

PUT THIS SHOW BACK ON THE AIR.

8. Deb says

Tony Robbins has been saying the same thing for 20 years. His “culture” is very male and very wealth oriented. It does not appeal to most people. He needs new people around him and a new message.

9. says

This was actually an incredible show and an incredibly *important* show. I’m catching up by watching available episodes on Hulu.com right now.

It’s surprising to me that it wouldn’t have struck more of a chord with people at a time when many people could benefit from what’s explored in ‘Breakthrough’.

I’m confident Tony will find the right medium for distribution because there’s an abundant audience that WANTS these kinds of shows. So many people don’t even watch traditional TV anymore. The challenge + opportunity is merely to find a new way to reach the audience that’s out there and wants this material.

I hope Tony or someone from his team reads this. The HUGE audience does exist.

10. MM says

I was sorry to hear the show had been canceled. I think people were just finding out about the show, and would have been pulled in if given enough time (two shows is not long enough to determine if its going to be a hit). I can’t believe Jersey Shore and others reality shows are still on the air, but this was canceled. We need more inspirational shows!

11. says

My husband and I watched the first two episodes and wondered why the following ones were not on our Tivo. We were so bummed to find out the show was cancelled! :( I guess people are more interested in reality TV, crime and sex than in an uplifting show.. very sad! I hope you’ll find a way to get back on TV and help more people live a life by design. Much success, Fatima.