Cheers: George Wendt Dreams about the Classic Sitcom

CheersIt’s been 17 years since Norm sat at the end of the Cheers bar and his alter-ego, George Wendt, still misses the NBC sitcom.

Wendt recently told the New York Post that he misses Cheers “terribly.” He said, “Y’know, I dream about Cheers. Like when you go on a diet and you dream of pizza. I always think of those wonderful years. I loved working on it. Not long ago I had a great dream of laughing in rehearsal – but when I woke up there was no show.”

He continued, “If I channel surf and it’s on TV, I watch. I miss it terribly. My dad keeps a bunch of the old tapes, but I don’t watch them. I don’t really care to see those oldies over and over.”

Happily, Wendt still keeps in touch with some of his former co-stars. He noted that he saw Kelsey Grammer in La Cage on Broadway and mentioned that Ted Danson is shooting a whale movie in Alaska.

Reality Check November 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh, the good old days of network TV. Basically, decent sitcoms have died and we’re down to NCIS, SVU and Hawaii Five O as decent shows left on TV.

Tiger November 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Its crazy I found this article because I just started the reruns on a local network here in L.A. the last 6 months and watched it when it originally aired all those years ago. Whats crazy is the series finale of the show on the channel airs tomorrow and it will be the first time I will see it again since 1993. And to see this article how much George Wendt misses it all these years later after the final one is surreal.

Rediscovering this show all these years later and its still just as funny and endearing all this time later proves its how timeless it is and it truly is one of the best sitcoms ever created.

Elaine November 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I enjoyed the first few seasons and would watch again if they repeated them.

Chuck Lewis November 25, 2010 at 10:33 am

George, we miss you guys more!

Bill C... November 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Definately one of the best comedies of all time..

JP Doyle November 24, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Yes, pure nostalgia it is. It’s quite poignant to hear this.