Common Law: Cancelled, No Season Two

As expected, USA Network has cancelled Common Law after one season and 12 episodes. There won’t be a second season.

Common Law revolves around a pair of LAPD detectives who successfully solve crimes together but can’t stand each other. As a result, their boss sentences them to attend couples therapy. The cast includes Warren Kole, Michael Ealy, Jack McGee, Sonya Walger, Elizabeth Chomko, Alicia Coppola, Nora Zehetner, and Reed Diamond.

The series debuted on May 11th and ran on Friday nights through August 10th. The ratings were poor from the start, even by the cable channel’s standards. The season averaged a 0.6 demo rating with 2.12 million viewers.

In September, it was rumored that Common Law was essentially cancelled. The showrunner had taken a job on CBS’ Elementary and the cast’s contracts had all expired. Word was that the sets had already been dismantled as well.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that there won’t be a second season for Common Law?

Marsha K. Hardeman October 22, 2013 at 1:06 am

Wow. How sad that yet another decent, well written, family friendly entertainment forum has been thrown in the rubbish. It seems, these days, only real trash survives most of the airwaves. The things that are not filled with blood and gore, foul language, sexually loaded messages or demonic themes just are not supported or valued. What a sad commentary on our society and what television programmers THINK Americans want or need.

I am encouraged by the comments of these other decent and pleasant people who were, like me, looking forward to enjoying the humorous camaraderie of this unlikely pair, while still presented at a level above a 5th grade IQ. Shame, shame on the network for not fighting for “Common Law”.

Sincerely,
MKH

J. Thomason October 2, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Again, you have a good + funny family show and you kill it. Explain to me how you all keep the lights on? Some of the worst shows stay on for what seems like forever… Even our government has shut down ~ Now if you could rewrite a new government while they’re taking a break,… Many of us would be most grateful. I could probably get over this huge disappointment of you killing Common Law.

~Me~

SaadiQah September 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I’m extremely disappointed , my friends and I absolutely loved this show. We delay 0r cancel all our plans just too stay in and watch it! I think its very unfair that we people who really enhoyed it has too suffer just because it had a low rating! There are so many shitty episodes that you guys can cancel!!! Please bring it baaaaack!!!!!!!!!

Mel September 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I really enjoyed this show and was looking forward to the next season. I am very disappointed.

Anonymous September 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I loved the show. Would like to see it come back. This show was not a lot of killing or blood. Please come back.

Anonymous August 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I loved this show. I thought it was coming back. I just decided today to check to see why it had not return when all the other shows had come back by July. Anyone heard anything about the possibility of seeing the reruns?

wxmel July 27, 2013 at 1:20 am

I looked forward to this show every week, even tho I watched it on my phone. I had heard that it was cancelled, but I was hopeful anyway. Everything about it fit nicely, except Friday nights, apparently. Never a great night for tv … certainly not a great night to start a show you’d like to keep around, anyway. :( Boo.

David & Vanessa July 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm

We loved the show Common Law & would love to have seen it continue!! According to reviews & comments online, 100% of people LOVED it & there was no good reason to cancel it!! I hope they consider continuing additional seasons & episodes!! EVERYBODY that watched it, LOVE it!!! It needed a chance to allow people to get to know the show instead of judging & making rash decisions from the beginning!! Everybody that seen it, LOVED IT & it should be continued with additional seasons IMMEDIATELY!! It was a GREAT show & that’s hard to come by these days!!

Darlene July 16, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I loved this show. Was waiting for it’s return. When shows are kept on about kids sleeping with pigs, who has the fattest butt, etc., why on earth do they cancel a GOOD, decent show that where we can laugh?

Anonymous June 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

My husband and I loved this show. It was hilarious!!! I hope the series gets picked up by another network.

nancy June 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Loved the show, actually funny and well written. The other crap still running.

Diane June 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I know Common Law was extremely funny and I enjoyed it very much it seems to me all the good shows are canceled

D. E. Daniels June 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’m very sorry to see the show end. It was very good and funny. I thought they complimented each other very well. I believe that networks should really spend time moving shows to different nights to see how well they will fare

Nancy June 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Highly disappointed!! The script was well written, actors’ performance superb! They really did click together. The concept was a good one. Fine acting, fine writing, fine concept – too bad it wasn’t given another chance on a more television-watched night of the week before pulling the plug. Some of us out here really enjoyed the show.

Denise May 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

HELL YA I’m disappointed I don’t know why there were low ratings. I loved that show I thought the characters has fantastic chemistry! Honestly busy people dont watch TV anymore they watch things on Netflix, Hulu etc when they have the time. Do the powers that be take that under consideration when they take good shows off the air?