Detroit 1-8-7: Imperioli Not Confident About Season Two Chances

Detroit 187Unfortunately, Detroit 1-8-7 been struggling almost from the beginning. ABC’s freshman police drama debuted with a mediocre 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.34 million viewers. Things quickly went down hill from there. The last original episode mustered just a terrible 1.0 rating and 5.05 million. Now it’s the lowest-rated scripted show on the network.

Despite those dismal numbers, at the recent TCA press tour, ABC chief Paul Lee was still pretty optimistic. He said, “We haven’t made our decisions yet on second season. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have liked it to have stayed with high numbers, because it’s an extremely high-quality show… It’s a really gritty, brilliantly written show which we’re very proud of. So do we hope it comes back. We’re not going to make those decisions probably for another two to three months, I have to say.”

Regarding the chances for a second season of Detroit 1-8-7, star Michael Imperioli is a little less optimistic. He said, “You know, we’ll see. I’m not overly confident about it. I think the show’s good enough. There are a lot of stories to tell. I think it will only get better in the future, but that has to do with a lot of factors that are out of my control.”

TV show supportHe continued, “I’ve been disappointed that it hasn’t done as well in the numbers… I don’t think that a lot of people really know that we’re on the air. I think that the people who do know really like it. We do have a lot of loyal fans. Primarily, it’s in the demographic — 18 to 49, whatever. I don’t know how that works that we’re not doing as good. We had some good overall numbers for a while, but you know, these things are hard to predict.”

Looking at it philosophically, Imperioli added, “[The ratings are] out of our hands. We’re doing the best we can do. The work has been really good. So I’m not complaining.”

What do you think? Will Detroit 1-8-7 be renewed? Should ABC give it a second season and a second chance, even though the ratings are poor?

John Moorefield September 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm

This is by far the best cop show on tv. My wife & I looked forward to it coming on each & every week! If ABC doesn’t pick it up, I sure hope TNT or another cable network does! NCIS: Los Angeles doesn’t even come close to this show, nor do alot of others! PUT IT BACK ON, NOW!!!!!

sadfan butplease j June 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm

please reconsider as you are giving up on a great show with great possibilities. It was with great sadness that these people we have come to love would no longer share our evenings with us any more, Give them ANOTHER YEAR TO DEVELOPE THERE STORY LINES.

Nana2begs April 25, 2011 at 5:57 am

Haven’t missed an episode. Love Michael Imperioli and all the characters on the show. I agree with something one or two others remarked about pitting a new show against a high rating show, like The Good Wife. Come on, there are shows that aren’t worth watching and they stay on air. PLEASE keep on. Thanks

dave nicholas April 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love this show. Great stories and acting. I for one jumped on late but caught up by buying episodes on iPad.

Nathan April 9, 2011 at 4:55 am

Favorite Show…really hope it comes back.

Alice April 8, 2011 at 7:23 pm

My husband & myself have been searching for the time when ‘Detroit 1-8-7′ will return to ABC. Main viewing problem that we detect is that the time slot is opposite ‘The Good Wife’ on CBS. We DVR ‘The Good Wife’ in order to watch ‘Detroit 1-8-7′. The stories are probably the most realistic of any detective/police show on TV. We would be very sad to see the series ended. Perhaps a different air time to get those viewers who do not have a DVR ? Please keep the series alive !

dixie warner April 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Please do Not cancel —Detroit 1-8-7 Best new show!!!!

Nancy Christopher April 5, 2011 at 5:57 am

Just love this show, good writing, great actors…………..Please keep the show on the air !!

Bodil Malmsten April 4, 2011 at 1:16 am

Swedish writer, would hate to see Detroit 1-8-7 cancelled.

Lynette Leardi March 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Please do not cancel this show, it is one of only a few left that are really good. It has been pre-empted so many times, how could it have a big following? Our family has enjoyed watching it when it is on.

Wally Binner March 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

My wife and I haven’t missed 1 episode. WE LOVE IT! We DVR the Good Wife on CBS, and watch Detroit 187 live. It’s the best police show on but it’s going up against a really
established hit in the Good WIfe. ABC should try a different time slot or day for one more season and see how it does.

Texas March 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Best cop show to date. There has to be a second season. Maybe moving the time to an earlier one might help the ratings.

Peany March 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This is one of the best cop shows I’ve seen in a long time. I watched every episode and loved every one. I got my daughter hooked. What a great cast of people! They need to get rid of all of the stupid reality shows and keep this show on. They always keep the garbage on and get rid of the good shows. I am really hoping to see a second season of Detroit 1-8-7!

Bob A March 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This is the best show on the air this year the stories the professional actors and the real feel of Detroit, I grew uo there.

Too bad it was scheduled against The Good Wife another great show, why do the networks pit two great dramas against each other, I guess they still don’t get it. I usually watch 187 on demand because of the scheduling.

PureEvil March 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I love this show! Best thing I have seen in a long time… They better have a second season.