Dracula: Cancel or Keep the NBC TV Series?

Dracula TV show: cancel or keep?Grimm has done very well for NBC on Friday nights and is one of their highest-rated dramas. How has Dracula been performing? Is it safe or likely to be cancelled?

Based on the classic Bram Stoker story, Dracula takes place in London. The title character (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) poses as an American entrepreneur while he seeks revenge on those who cursed him. He doesn’t count on falling in love with a woman (Jessica De Gouw) who looks like his deceased wife. Others in the cast include Thomas Kretschmann, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Victoria Smurfit, Katie McGrath, and Nonso Anozie.

The series debuted on October 25th to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.26 million viewers. This was a very respectable performance for a Friday airing.

Unfortunately, the ratings took a big dive in week two and then again in week three, falling to a 0.9 rating with 2.96 million.

Should Dracula be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After seven episodes, Dracula is now averaging a 1.1 in the demo and 3.46 million viewers. Unless the next few episodes see a good-size gain, the averages will keep dropping.

With ratings like these, it would seem unlikely that NBC would want to order a second season. However, the network has partnered with Sky Living on the series, decreasing their costs. Dracula started airing in the UK on Sky Living last Halloween.

It’s also worth noting that NBC renewed Hannibal last spring and that show drew even worse numbers on Thursdays.

So, essentially, Dracula’s fate could go either way. We’ll have to wait and see whether it will be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

But, what do you think? Do you like Dracula? Do you think it should be renewed or cancelled?

Martha Williams February 19, 2014 at 1:52 am

Please do not cancel this show! This is one of the best shows on NBC besides Grimm. The two of them together makes for a great date night at least for my husband and I. The show itself is amazing. JRM is one amazing actor. By the way all the actors on this show are great. I love the costume design and the production is like one that would be on HBO! Please again do not cancel this show and bring it back. My husband and I are in our 50′s. If this show gets canceled it will be a shame on NBC!

Natalie February 18, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Dracula is the best! I’m 17 yrs old and I love this show as well as my friends. We would spend every Friday watching Dracula. We really love this show and hopefully it won’t be cancelled. :(

Leena February 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Love the show

Linda W. February 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I love the series and hope it survives. I think it would have been better had the net big wigs stuck by the original story more precisely. The lights on lights off theme was hard to follow for deep rooted “Drac” fans. The cast is outstanding and could possible pull anything off but the story line rather wrapped things up on the 24th. Too Bad. At this point the characters and caliber of acting is so high its possible the series may survive and go back to the original story. Maybe the first season could be a dream.

CJ February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I have been a big fan of Jonathan Rys-Meyers for many years. He is an excellent actor who creates his characters in such a way that no matter how bad or good, you just love him. His creation of Henry v111 was so awesome I refreshed my own historical knowledge of that era.
Just once I really wish the network would listen to the ‘real” fans and viewers and do what makes our television, internet or streaming time worth while. Keep Dracula, its quality time for me.

dracula February 17, 2014 at 5:37 am

Don’t cancel it please! i’m 22 yrs old an it’s my third favorite serie untill now! And i am sceptic about many series! this one is amazing!

Mathew Torres February 17, 2014 at 7:00 am

I agree. I watch a total of 32 series on TV, every week, and this is by far my favorite among such shows as the vampire diaries, true blood, being human, bitten, the walking dead, etc.
I love this show…please do not cancel!

Gary Lancaster February 17, 2014 at 2:30 am

In a word NO. I. bought a season pass and forced myself to watch all 10 episodes. Mina = ridiculous; Dracula = absurd; Van Helsing = just plain sad; Renfield = such nonsense. Lucy = fabulous. The story is trite and actually offensive to “Dracula fans”.

Mathew Torres February 17, 2014 at 7:02 am

If you don’t like it, then don’t watch it. You obviously don’t have a clue on how to appreciate and rate a quality show…stick with the Simpsons.

Natassja February 17, 2014 at 12:38 am

Please I love this show please don’t cancel Dracula don’t cancel and make a mistake like heroes that was canceled

Linny February 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I love Dracula…please continue it with another season, I love Jonathan Rhys Meyers…cast is wonderful…set and customs amazing…everything is well done!

Barbara McPike February 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I’m a 64 year-old grandmother who absolutely loves The Dracula series. Please give it another season.

Julie Wittman February 16, 2014 at 10:54 am

WE LOVED DRACULA!! Best show on NBC on Friday nights!! Hell best show on TV this past season!!
It SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE RENEWED!!
THE PRODUCTION, the SETS ALL LUSH AND WONDERFULLY DONE!!
PLUS JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS IS BRILLIANT!! As well as the rest of the cast!! AND BRING BACK RENFIELD!! He was MARVELOUS’n

Icingdeathe February 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Please don’t cancel Dracula. I never miss an episode. It’s well written and beautifully designed. Not a run of the mill vampire story, this one is thoughtful, with varied layered characters and plots. Exquisite set and costume design. Rhys-Meyers is amazing. He manages to be both a monster and a sympathetic character who you’re glad gets the girl in the season finale. Can’t wait for what’s next.

Mathew Torres February 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Hell No…Please don’t Cancell!!!!

Габриела February 15, 2014 at 11:28 am