Dracula: Cancel or Keep the NBC TV Series?

Dracula TV show: cancel or keep?Grimm has done very well for NBC on Friday nights and is one of their highest-rated dramas. How has Dracula been performing? Is it safe or likely to be cancelled?

Based on the classic Bram Stoker story, Dracula takes place in London. The title character (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) poses as an American entrepreneur while he seeks revenge on those who cursed him. He doesn’t count on falling in love with a woman (Jessica De Gouw) who looks like his deceased wife. Others in the cast include Thomas Kretschmann, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Victoria Smurfit, Katie McGrath, and Nonso Anozie.

The series debuted on October 25th to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.26 million viewers. This was a very respectable performance for a Friday airing.

Unfortunately, the ratings took a big dive in week two and then again in week three, falling to a 0.9 rating with 2.96 million.

Should Dracula be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After seven episodes, Dracula is now averaging a 1.1 in the demo and 3.46 million viewers. Unless the next few episodes see a good-size gain, the averages will keep dropping.

With ratings like these, it would seem unlikely that NBC would want to order a second season. However, the network has partnered with Sky Living on the series, decreasing their costs. Dracula started airing in the UK on Sky Living last Halloween.

It’s also worth noting that NBC renewed Hannibal last spring and that show drew even worse numbers on Thursdays.

So, essentially, Dracula’s fate could go either way. We’ll have to wait and see whether it will be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

But, what do you think? Do you like Dracula? Do you think it should be renewed or cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

454 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. chazz says

Please keep this show on air it’s Awsome!!.
    Also yes, ratings are not Awsome but please note that it’s on a Friday when everyone is out or at friends. Change it to a Thursday and see how it does please give it a second go….

2. Ana says

It is the best show that I have EVER seen on TV and each week I am excited to see it. My family and I are hooked on it. Don’t cancel it, would you rather have people watching reality TV shows that are vulgar and just plain nonsense? Dracula is beautifully written, it has adventure, romance, mystery, suspense!! Great beautiful and talented actors who portray their characters like no one ever has before. It’s the greatest interpretation of Dracula that I have ever seen and I’ve been a vampire fan for over 20 years. This show is the best thing TV has ever had. Please, do NOT cancel.

3. Leanne Rene says

I absolutely love this show !! Please don’t cancel it, give this show a chance to prove it is a success!!

4. N. Rogers says

Please, please. Do not cancel Dracula. It deserves to be renewed. Johnathan Rhys Meyers is as mesmerizing as always , the production values are superb, the characters are well cast and the actors are absorbed in the story line . It just needs a chance to develope. This show is a whole lot better than a lot of shows they keep coming up with and renewing season after season.

5. Michele says

OMG, this is the BEST Dracula series I have ever seen. Typically anything Dracula related I am very unenthusiastic about, but this has substance. It’s brilliantly executed and you never know what to expect. NBC please keep it going!

6. Jackie Webb says

I love love Dracula please please do not canceled this show. Me and my husband can not wait for Friday . NBC Dracula the best..

Jackie

7. Jackie Webb says

Please Please do not canceled Dracula tv show on NBC. I me and husband can not wait each Fridays to watch Dracula and also all my friends love this tv show. You have a great actor. Best tv show on NBC…

8. Mary Revan says

As a teacher of British Literature, I can attest to the fact that my students LOVE this show as it breathes new life into what can be a terse and hard read. JRM embodies the “trinity” that is the Vlad/Dracula/Alexander character. Further, students seem to really enjoy the more “modern” twists that have been added such as the change in Renfield and Lucy as well as a more “dominant” Harker. I think if the day were changed, Dracula could be like Sleepy Hollow. Let’s face it, for the target age range, most at not sitting at home on a Friday night at 10 p.m.—the day isn’t suitable. The show is lush and beautifully done. I think it deserves a second go and I think JRM does a superb job at making the duality of his character not only believable, but one that the viewer feels both anger toward and sympathy for.

9. laura says

Please don’t cancel me and my family are hooked on this show. Loved the Tudors and love Dracula.. Or make in to a film such brilliant acting. Me & my partner are gripped… Please please don’t cancel xx

10. Ewa Bacia says

Please do not cancel the show! Dracula is one of the top shows ever. Amazing retake on classic story. Great acting, costumes, sets and everybody is already in awe of Mr. JRM. The only shows that makes you feel. We do not need any more shows about police, crime in NYC, people getting drunk and stoned or brainless comedies. We need shows that makes us feel the pain, loneliness and struggle of the characters and makes us root for them. Please do not cancel the best show ever! Thank you.

11. trw73 says

Please please please please please keep this show! It is by far one of the best ones on Television and one of the very few I actually watch……….