How I Met Your Mother: Season Nine Talks Underway

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER season nineCould fans of How I Met Your Mother have to wait even longer to find out the identity of the mother of Ted Mosby’s future children?

According to Variety, talks are currently underway between CBS and 20th Century Fox Television to continue the sitcom for a ninth season — and potentially even more. While most shows’ ratings decline in later seasons, How I Met Your Mother saw a rejuvenation during the 2011-12 season.

This past season, the demo grew by 19% in the 18-49 demographic (4.1 rating vs a 3.4) and grew by 13% in total viewership (9.66 million vs 8.58 million).

There are many possible roadblocks that will need to be worked out before a deal can be made however. Contracts for creators and executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and the five stars are all up at the end of season eight. CBS’ two-year license deal with the studio also expires in May as well.

While sources maintain that discussions are still in the preliminary stages, up until recently it as looking pretty certain that season eight would be the end of HIMYM. The show’s writers supposedly haven’t started working on the upcoming season yet.

What do you think? Would you like to see HIMYM continue for a ninth or tenth season? Do you think the show would still be worth watching without the creators or some of the cast members? Are any of them expendable?

Wicked July 25, 2012 at 4:46 am

This show ended to end like 2 seasons ago, I swear to god if they drag it out any longer I will stop watching. They could easily have him meet there mother and then continue the series for another season or two with her in it.

DSH July 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Well…it’s definitely better to go out while the show is still good rather than stretch it out forever like networks do with some shows. I’d only extend it if the producers have solid ideas to keep it fresh and entertaining.

Rogers July 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Jason Segel already announced that season 8 would be his last. Even though, the show is about Ted and not Marshall, the show would be, in a word, crap if he were not in it.

Ron Ablang July 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Behind TBBT, this is still one of the best sitcoms on TV, and still strong these days. I’d definitely want to see Ted find his soulmate.

HIMYMADDICT July 18, 2012 at 8:01 am

Wish it never ends but all good things must end. Show can move on without lily and marshall but it wont be the same.

Jeremy Rynek July 17, 2012 at 12:40 am

I’d be willing to wait another season to have yet another season in my dvd collection. It’s still funny, so I say go for it.

mike July 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Still one of the BEST shows on tv!!!! hope they can keep it going

Jody July 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yes, I used to love it. But I think it needs to end. Viewership raised because they thought they would find out last season. I think shows end up getting too dramatic if they are on too long.

KB July 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

HIMYM is one of my favorite shows, but season 8 should be the last — it’s clear the past two seasons they’ve been aiming for that, and really, it’s the only way the dates will work out. For a show that’s been so much better (not great, but better) about internal continuity than others, I’d hate to see the that thrown out the window just to beat a dead horse. In any case, I can’t see Jason Segel agreeing to another season — my impression is that he was ready to move on.

Trevor July 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Ugh….why can’t this just end?