How to Make It in America: Cancelled; No Season Three

How to Make It in America canceled no season threeThe dream is over — at least for Ben Epstein and Cam Calderon. HBO has cancelled How to Make It in America after two short seasons on the air.

How to Make It in America follows two 20-somethings (Bryan Greenberg and Victor Rasuk) as they try to hustle their way into New York City’s fashion scene. They’re determined to achieve their version of the American Dream and make a name for themselves in the competitive industry. Others in the series include Scott Mescudi, Lake Bell, Luis Guzman, Eddie Kaye Thomas, and Shannyn Sossamon.

The first season of America attracted an underwhelming 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 646,000 total viewers. Despite lackluster numbers, HBO renewed the series for another season of eight episodes. This season hasn’t done any better — a 0.3 rating and 534,000 million — so the pay-for-view channel has decided to throw in the towel.

HBO also cancelled low-rated Hung and Bored to Death today as well but renewed freshman comedy Enlightened for a second season. The latter has even worse numbers than America did it seems likely that Enlightened will have to draw more viewers if its to survive to see a third year.

UPDATE: Greenberg tweeted about the cancellation and wrote, “Thanks to @HBO for the 2 seasons of #HowToMakeIt It was a unbelievable experience playing Ben Epstein… Thank you to all of the fans of How To Make It. We aimed to capture the spirit of a generation. Never stop going for your dreams.”

What do you think? Did you watch How to Make It in America? Are you sorry that it’s been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

JAhri November 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

This show was beyond inspirational for me. I still watch the 2 previous seasons because of that fact. Ben Eptstein and Cam Calderon have shown the viewers what it really means to hustle in NYC. This needs to be back on the air.

Brian September 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Can’t believe they cancelled the show, this show was so inspirational. Don’t you think America needs this right now young people going for their dream and putting themselves on the line for what they believe in, aw man!

Marisha August 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I can’t believe they Cancelled this show!!! I want ti state a petition because this show was so inspirational. You can’t knock Ben and Cam’s hustle!!! I am trut crushed… Right when it got to the best part…

Kim February 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm

How to Make It In America is a great show. It was different & the cast was fun-loving. I feel it didn’t make it because most people don’t have good taste. I’m serious. For example, “Jersey Shore” gets renewed every season & has been on a long time, but it doesn’t mean it’s a good show. In fact, “Jersey Shore” sucks. Come on, really? I feel people don’t have high standards & settle for this mindless crap. I also feel it depends on the target audience age range. We all no it is easy to sell a show to the age range, teenager up to mid-20′s & generally they haven’t developed what they like or quality for that matter. How to make it in America is not for teenagers so you loose a large audience. Teenagers love that “Jersey Shore” garbage. Sad, but true. I hope HTMIA gets picked up by another channel. It is really great. I love the cast.

Cortez R. February 3, 2012 at 8:11 am

Im totally disappointed that this show has been cancelled. The only reason I started watching was out of complete boredom, not realizing this was a series or ever seeing an advertisement. It’s actually really good and I was hooked after a few episodes…regardless, I’ve already picked up the complete first season and hope that someone else picks up the show. If so, GOODBYE HBO.

Patrick Carlucci January 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

How could this show be cancelled when others such as “Enlightened.” “How to Make It” was on the verge of blossoming into an incredible show, such the likes of “Entourage” or better. It had a similar feel to the highly popular “Entourage” but a better, more realistic feel to it that many people could relate to. Common people were able to relate more to this show then the sometimes, outlandish lives and personas of “Entourage.”This is an utter disgrace and I have lost a lot of respect for The “Home Box Office ” channel. I am more then upset, as I and a number of friends were looking forward to Season 3, chalk one up to Showtime for knowing when to renew quality shows.

sb December 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’m outraged by the cancellation. There wasn’t enough advertising
done for the show to draw in the viewers. This was a great show and I could really see it going somewhere. I’m obviously not happy…..I wish more people would’ve given it a chance.

stan December 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

I think how to make it in america should have a third season.