Law & Order: SVU: Season 14 Ratings

law and order svu season 14 ratingsIt still seems strange that Law & Order: SVU is the only one of the franchise left. Could the ratings fall low enough this season to see the venerable cop drama cancelled? Keep checking back to find out.

Season 14 of Law & Order: SVU typically airs on Wednesday nights at 9pm on the NBC network. The cast includes Mariska Hargitay, Ice-T, Dann Florek, Richard Belzer, Kelli Giddish, and Danny Pino.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Law & Order: SVU is going to be cancelled or renewed for season 15.

The figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

Final season averages: 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.40 million total viewers.

Episode 14-24: Wednesday, 05/22/13
1.7 in the demo (+13% change) with 6.66 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.40 million.

Episode 14-23: Wednesday, 05/15/13
1.5 in the demo (-21% change) with 6.48 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-22: Wednesday, 05/08/13
1.9 in the demo (+27% change) with 6.91 million (+19% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-21: Wednesday, 05/01/13
1.5 in the demo (-21% change) with 5.79 million (-21% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.36 million.

UPDATE: NBC has renewed this show for 2013-14 and has ordered 22 episodes.

Episode 14-20: Wednesday, 04/24/13
1.9 in the demo (+19% change) with 7.35 million (+16% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-19: Wednesday, 04/03/13
1.6 in the demo (-6% change) with 6.34 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 14-18: Wednesday, 03/27/13
1.7 in the demo (+6% change) with 6.61 million (+20% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 14-17: Wednesday, 03/20/13
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 5.51 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.33 million.

Episode 14-16: Wednesday, 02/27/13
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 5.44 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.75 in the demo with 6.38 million.

Episode 14-15: Wednesday, 02/20/13
1.6 in the demo (+7% change) with 5.61 million (-12% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 6.44 million.

Episode 14-14: Wednesday, 02/13/13
1.5 in the demo (0% change) with 6.35 million (+21% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 6.50 million.

Episode 14-13: Wednesday, 02/06/13
1.5 in the demo (-12% change) with 5.23 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 1.79 in the demo with 6.51 million.

Episode 14-12: Wednesday, 01/30/13
1.7 in the demo (-19% change) with 6.42 million (-24% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 6.62 million.

Episode 14-11: Wednesday, 01/09/13
2.1 in the demo (-5% change) with 8.42 million (+9% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 6.63 million.

NBC TV show ratingsEpisode 14-10: Wednesday, 01/02/13
2.2 in the demo (+38% change) with 7.73 million (+26% change).
Season averages: 1.80 in the demo with 6.46 million.

Episode 14-09: Wednesday, 12/05/12
1.6 in the demo (+23% change) with 6.16 million (+19% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 6.32 million.

Episode 14-08: Wednesday, 11/21/12
1.3 in the demo (-24% change) with 5.20 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 6.33 million.

Episode 14-07: Wednesday, 11/14/12
1.7 in the demo (0% change) with 5.78 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 6.50 million.

Episode 14-06: Wednesday, 10/31/12
1.7 in the demo (-11% change) with 6.05 million (-11% change).
Season averages: 1.87 in the demo with 6.62 million.

Episode 14-05: Wednesday, 10/24/12
1.9 in the demo (+19% change) with 6.77 million (+8% change).
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 6.73 million.

Episode 14-04: Wednesday, 10/17/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 6.25 million (0% change).
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 6.72 million.

Episode 14-03: Wednesday, 10/10/12
1.8 in the demo (-14% change) with 6.24 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.87 million.

Episodes 14-01 & 14-02: Tuesday, 09/26/12
2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.19 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.10 in the demo with 7.19 million.

Year-to-year, the Law & Order: SVU season premiere was down by 13% in the coveted demo (vs a 2.4 rating) and down by 6% in total viewers (vs 7.63 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season of Law & Order: SVU averaged a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.87 million viewers.

Note: These ratings are collected by the Nielsen company and are the final national numbers. These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings and are reported by most other outlets. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a 15th season?

Juan April 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Law & Order SVU is the Best Show on TV! It is a Very Interesting show, dealing with themes & isuues that are of a Very Socio-Economic Importance. Dealing with these delicate themes & issues on a Very Professional & Delicate format. Surely hope that they get renewed for one more season, they are The Best!

Otto April 14, 2014 at 4:32 am

Donofrio is the best. Transfer him to SVU.

ShadowFax July 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Love, love, love this show!!!! Please don’t cancel!!!!

Kaitlyn June 21, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Ive watched svu all my life i watch it every day.. Its a great show however it would be awesome if detective stabler returned and stayed it would be a great season opener and still keep everyone on the show due to the fact i love all the characters i just miss detective Stabler(;

Frank Hogan June 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hello My Name is Frank Hogan
As An SVU Nut from Day 1 and A Liv and Alex Fan from Series 2 to Now, I agree with Jessie : I would like to see both Diane Neal and Stephanie March permanently in season 15 Also, I’d like CSU Tech Reuben Morales (Joel De La Fuentes) back AND with George Huang gone, there’s scope to bring back, Liz Olivet, ( Carolyn Mc Cormick), OR Rebecca Hendrix (Mary Stuart Masterson).
I agree with Joanna And Mollie Don’t take it off air, Leave it outlive The Motherships 20 years. Long Live Liv and Alex.

Sergio May 23, 2013 at 8:35 am

Hello im from Greece and i love this serie and i cant expect for season 15 so i can learn what happens to Olivia and i hope they dont get it off air

Morgan May 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Okay, okay I know I need to get over this but I can’t. I really need Christopher Meloni to come back just for one episode, so I can cope and get over it. It’s not that I don’t like seasons 13 or 14, I love it, I personally praise them for thinking of 318 episodes and not once repeating itself, making each and every one unique. And I love the new characters, Nick and Amanda, especially Amanda, they needed another ass kicking woman on the show.

Jessie April 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

My best friend and I have been watching the seasons over again since we were so depressed about SVU having it’s last season. Now both of us are extremely excited because our favorite TV show will be going on to season 15. I would like to see both Diane Neal and Stephanie March be in a few of the season 15 episodes, along with more Munch. I love that man, and we need to see him more. I was sad when they got rid of Casey Novak because she was my favorite character, hopefully I get to see her again in season 15.

Bernie Atkins April 26, 2013 at 9:43 pm

The main men behind the Law and Order series have done an excellent job. They axed the first of the big 3 to make it onto the screens, 1 season prior to breaking the record for most consecutive seasons as it did not have the “build up” or potential towards the end people are now looking for. Then came CI despite the story lines following the build up. But there were too many characters in and out. They kept SVU which has the “build up” and also had the solid core of characters. They couldn’t predict Meloni leaving though. But they’ve done a great job filling his shoes as compared to other shows who have had to do the same. Charlie Sheen for Michael J. Fox on Spin City. Ashton Kutcher for Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half men. Both shows are not even a shadow of their former self. SVU has kept its head above water.

George April 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’m still watching it but its a shadow of its former self. Storylines are dull or plain ridiculous. Ocassionally there are flashes of great story telling but they are few and far between. Its time to go with what dignity it has left

susan April 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

this show still has great potential, but the writers have failed the main character, Olivia. no one liked Cassidy in season 1 and now they bring him back to be her boyfriend. give us all a break….what horrible writing. this show would have been awesome if they had brought on a new detective who was single. He and Benson could have developed a partnership and long lasting love life. the audience would have loved to see her get
what she deserves….a great partner that she is treated equally with and the love of her life. it would have been fun to balance the work and home life with the 2 characters.

George April 26, 2013 at 11:06 am

great comment. I agree

Morgan May 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Preach it!

otto March 29, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Donny Walberg would be great if he can juggle 2 series.

diane marshall April 15, 2013 at 12:47 am

Renew SVU for season 15. It is a solid show.

Jess April 14, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I will be sad if Law & Order SVU is axed!!

Marissa April 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I LOVE Law and Order SVU. I have seen every episode twice and need more. I would be heart broken if it was taken off the air.

Joanna April 11, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I really like SVU, they´ve done an amazing job. It hasn´t gotten old yet, just gets better and better. I hope they don´t take it off air, they can´t. It´s an important show, fun, actionfilled but also with an important message.

Mollie April 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I HAVE to see more with Amaro and his son! I am a faithful viewer and I would be CRUSHED if SVU is taken off air!!