Life on Mars (US)

Life on Mars on ABCNetwork: ABC
Episodes: 17 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 9, 2008 – April 1, 2009
Series status: Cancelled/ended.

Performers include: Jason O’Mara, Michael Imperioli, Gretchen Mol, Harvey Keitel, Jonathan Murphy, Dominick Mancino, John Cenatiempo, Chris Miskiewicz, Tom Stratford, Lisa Bonet, Matthew Cowles, and Tanya Fischer.

life on mars (us) past TV show

TV show description: Sam Tyler (Jason O’Mara) is a modern-day detective for the NYPD’s 125th precinct. He lives with his girlfriend, Detective Maya Daniels (Lisa Bonet), who is kidnapped by a serial killer they’ve been investigating. Soonafter, while chasing a criminal, Tyler is hit and knocked unconscious by a speeding car. When he wakes up, Tyler finds that he’s been transported back to 1973.

Confused, Tyler makes his way back to his precinct building where he finds that the surrounding and attitudes are very different. Strangely, everyone at the precinct has been expecting him, thinking that he’s a transfer from Hyde Park.

Sam immediately clashes with his new boss, the irascible Lieutenant Gene Hunt (Harvey Keitel), a man who would rather use his fists than his brains to solve a crime. Eventually, the two begrudgingly become a powerful team — whether they like it or not.

Which version of Mars is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The other squad members are a unique group. Detective Ray Carling (Michael Imperioli) is a sexist tough-guy, Hunt’s former right-hand man, and a handy guy to have in your corner. Police Women’s Bureau member Annie Norris (Gretchen Mol) is often the smartest person in the room but she’s relegated to menial tasks because of her sex. Tyler often defends her and the two develop a relationship. Rookie Detective Chris Skelton (Jonathan Murphy) is a sweet guy trying to make it in this uncompromising world. He likes Tyler’s modern thinking and begins to emulate it.

When he first arrives at the precinct, confused Tyler demands to know why his computer, desk and chair are missing. The detectives wonder if Tyler has a unique way of establishing authority, is a science fiction fanatic, or both. Once things quiet down, the police delve into a case that strongly resembles the one that Tyler was investigating before his apparent time travel.

Tyler continually tries to figure out what’s happened to him and receives various subliminal messages through televisions, phones, and various hallucinations. Can he find a way to return home, in time to help his girlfriend in peril? Is he in a coma, insane, or a true time traveler?

The series is based on a UK show of the same name that ran for two seasons.
space

Series Finale

The show has been cancelled.

space

What happened next?

There are currently no plans to revive or remake the series.

space

Tom King August 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm

There’s nothing left on ABC that doesn’t appeal to 14 year olds and practically nothing that does appeal to anyone with more than 3 working brain cells. It appears the networks are determined to commit mass suicide. Look for it on a new reality show – so – “So You Really Think You Can Be a Network Programmer.

Mike August 15, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Glad people are still posting messages about ” Life On Mars”. I hope that you will still write to ABC and tell them how dumb they really are. I have not tuned into ABC since and I won’t. I Have had it with them canceling good shows and like the other person said here keeping the brain dead ones. Oh I have noticed that ABC has taken off the link for viewers to comment about prime time shows. So you have to find another link to send some where to ABC.

eddiej August 14, 2009 at 7:11 pm

This why I stop watching ABC news and everything how many shows did the kill and keep brain dead shows on

linda vara July 29, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Another great show being cancelled. This was so good for everyone for the simple fact that a lot of people would learn about the history of the seventies and I don’t just mean the flower power part.The elders will remember,baby boomer can reminisce whereas the younger generations will perhaps add to their trivia bag.We can only hope.

Bonnie July 28, 2009 at 11:08 am

I think they should cancel (fire) the person(s) that are making the decisions on what shows to cancel. Everytime you get a show with good lines, spirit and personality..you cancel it!
Some of my favorite shows like Life on Mars, Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money, Pushing Daisies are popular with my friends as well. But you keep pushing those boring reality shows and other no thought shows and I won’t be tuning into ABC anymore.

Mike July 16, 2009 at 9:32 am

the Unusuals lost because viewers are sick and tired of networks like ABC that cancels good shows, like Life On Mars and have refused to support the network. I don’t think I have ever been so upset with a network before like I am now. Then they show two new episodes of Eli Stone and then cancels it.

The smartest thing which is a contradiction considering how stupid ABC is, ABC should bring back Life On Mars and Eli Stone. And make good quality shows ” Lost” not being one of them. Since they canceled LOM the only time I have turned on ABC was because of the two episodes of Eli Stone. ABC you suck

Brian July 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I loved this show and the whole 70′s thing. and then was pissed when they canceled it, Then started watching the Unusuals and Liked that only to see that one get canceled. I really dislike the NETWORKS anymore they NEVER give a show a chance before jumping the gun and canceling it. You can’t even get interested in a show anymore just for the fear it won’t be around. Worst week was another funny one they canceled. Shows just like everything else you have to let it play out and see where they’ll go. but every network wants magic straight out of the box. It doesn’t happen like that all the time. then there are shows that should have been canceled years ago, but yet they drag on. “Lost” being the top one on my list. followed by a bunch of drama’s.

Wendy June 18, 2009 at 11:09 am

We are still commenting on this in June. I, as well, loved the show. Enough Reality already. Give us something to think about. Great acting, realistic sets, engaging conversation. Dry humor. It worked, it just needed more time to catch on. Shame on you. It would have found it’s audience. reconsider, please.

rene June 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm

i agree with shelly, this was a good show!

Shelly June 3, 2009 at 3:19 pm

STOP CANCELLING YOUR BEST SHOWS! THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW GOOD ONES YOU HAVE!!!

maria June 2, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I LOVED this show!!!! I could not wait for the next episode! I will miss it!

Yvon May 1, 2009 at 1:33 am

I so loved this show and then reading here Eli Stone is gone too…
I love the different shows..
I do hope another network does pick it up…
I did so enjoy the one they said was the last..it floored me..finding him on the ship…
I couldnt wait to see where they would send him next..I didnt know it was writing the show off…loved all the cast..they worked so well together on the tv!!!

annie125 April 27, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Help save Life on Mars!!! Visit http://www.saveoursam.com and join the fan-based community that is working to keep the show on the air. With over 500 members joining since the last episode ran, and over 16,000 viewers in this online petition,
there is a large following for this show. Make you voice heard and help keep LOM on tv!!!!

Alex April 15, 2009 at 6:48 am

After I lost hope in commercial television, there comes 2 shows They had real substance. Life on NBC and Life On Mars on ABC. It boggles my mind that these shows will be cancelled. Great writing and acting. Who are these brain surgeons that make these decisions. I guess I’m going back to cable. Thanks for the brief moment of hope.

Mike Era April 10, 2009 at 9:03 am

I can’t believe they took life on mars off and replaced it with such a crappy show (the unusuals) what the hell is that???

I don’t watch tv very often and never watch a show religiously and on ABC it is almost of unheard of that I watch anything. However Life on Mars did make me look forward to wednesdays and tuning in.. I don’t know weather to thank you for making me unaddicted to tv again or wonder who the hell is running things there….. It was much better than the bbc production and the actors were great together… Unbelievable that you could not run the entire season over the summer to get more intrest, then start up season two… 5 million viewers for a first season is not that bad… but I am sure it will match great to the 1 million who will tune in to see the unusuals, I will not be one of them…. Keep up the outstanding work ABC execs (that was sarcasm, not sure you would get that by your wonderful decision making skills.).