Make It or Break It: Cancelled, No Season Four

season four canceled MAKE IT OR BREAK ITIt’s the end of the competition for Make It or Break It. ABC Family has cancelled the TV show after three seasons on the air.

Make It or Break It revolves around top young gymnasts who are training for the Olympics. The series debuted in mid-June 2009 to a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.5 million total viewers. The ratings fell as low as a 0.6 in the demo with 1.9 million but that was still enough for the cable channel to renew it for a second season of 20 episodes.

The ratings got worse in season two but ABC Family still renewed Make It or Break It for a third season. This time however, they only ordered eight episodes. According to network president Michael Riley, it was “in time to ignite Olympic fever.”

If there were a possibility of ABC Family ordering a fourth season, those chances were pretty quickly dashed. Season three debuted to a 0.7 in the demo and 1.57 million. By week two, viewership had dropped off more than 25% and the numbers fell further in week three.

Should Make It or Break It have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The five episodes of season three that have aired thus far have averaged a 0.5 in the demo with 1.23 million total viewers.

At least part of the decline may have been due to the losses of Chelsea Hobbs and Josh Bowman (who’s now on Revenge). Coach Sasha (Neil Jackson) also hasn’t been seen much this season.

Of the cancellation, series creator Holly Sorenson tweeted, “MIOBI nation. We all love you so much. And we are, very sadly, three weeks away from the series finale of #miobi.”

The final episode of Make It or Break It airs on May 14th.

What do you think? Were you still watching? Are you sad that the show is ending?

Canceled and renewed TV show

171 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Maranda says

I AM SOOOOOOOOOO MAD YOU CANCELED THE SHOW LIKE AT LEAST FRICKEN FINISH SEASON THREE!!! LIKE WHO WINS THE OLYMPICS SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!

2. David A. says

I stopped watching the show after the “Emily Kmetko” character left the show. It may have been an ensemble cast, but she was definitely the first among equals. The insertion of the actress whose role was her replacement strained credulity.

At first I was peeved with Chelsea Hobbs throwing a wrench in the works by being so “inconsiderate” as to get preggers in the middle of production (forcing a MAJOR script rewrite). But when I did some research and found that Ms. Hobbs is actually a married, 28-year-old mother of two, all I could do is applaud her for convincing portrayal of a childless 17-year-old Olympic athlete!

Regretfully without her, unlike so many others, I can’t condemn canceling the series.

• Skysoldier173 says

If there was any one deserving of going to the Olympics it was Emily. When II learned of the decision not to bring her back I decided at ha moment not to watch MIOI it anymore.. I’m left now with a question of who is at fault ABC Family or Holly Sorenson ?

3. Fiona Rodrigues says

I love the show…… Please don’t end it. I think it is very inspiring u can really show so many varied facts of gymnastics in it. there definitely is so much more substance to b revealed……. Please do continue the series…

4. says

You should definitely NOT cancel Make It Or Break It!!! I love this show
    And there was no reason for it too stop airing!!
    It was in middle of a season for one reason!! And
    What happens to Emily and her pregnancy and Damon
    With their new baby??? And Lauren’s heart condition!!
    We all wana see who wins gold and Sasha Belov is still
    Waitin to get his gold medal back from Payson after she wins
    Her own!! Don’t forget that!!! There are more votes to
    Keep this show then to let go !!!

5. anonymous says

Ugh y did it have to end I’m so mad!!!! This BS!!!! Please make a season four and see who wins the Olympics!!!!!!!

6. anonymous says

wtf is this … you couldn’t just stop after the olympics or something you know … so we can see who wins and all … this is bs … you guys should think about people who do watch it before cancelling shows ….. at least make it end ….. don’t just stop with no ending ….

7. Jennifer says

Way to leave everyone hanging! This was an awesome show that should not have been canceled! If you were going to just quit you could have at least done it after the Olympics! Please bring it back!

8. kathy says

I really got addicted to the show MAKE IT OR BREAK IT, YOU LEFT US ALL HANGING, YOU DONT CANCEL A SHOW RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BEST PARTS, PLEASE BRING IT BACK

9. Michele says

It should not of been canceled. It was the greatest show ever. I wanted Emily to come back. And I wanted to see the girls go to London. It was one of the best shows ever. It should be brought back. Please Please.

10. Sarah says

I loved this show…how could it have low ratings when everyone I know was watching it? It was one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. Chelsea Hobbs had to go and mess it up…they had to rewrite the entire plot because she got preggers and left….seriously, what a dumb career move.

11. Anon says

DUDE WTF ABC ?!? U CANCELED SEASON FOUR?!? THATS A NO BRAINER!!! MAKE IT OR BREAK IT WAS ONE OF TE BEST SHOWS IM VERY DISAPOINTED INTO YOUR DESICION OF CUTTING MAKE IT OR BREAK IT! PLEASE RECONSIDER TO CHANGE YOUR DUMB MISTAKE THT U DID! WE WANT MAKE IT OR BREAK IT BACK! NOW!! WE WANT IT!! BACK!!!
    Thanks~ im waiting to see it on abc.. Again.

12. Anonymous says

IM FURIOUS I LOVED MAKE IT OR BREAK IT, ITS MY FAV SHOW!!!!!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON WITH EMILY KMETKO, AND WHO WINS THE OLYMPICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE WAS NO REASON TO CANCEL IT!

13. miobi says

I need to know who gets the gold who gets the silver and who gets the bronze. This show was great people loved it they want to know who wins