Missing: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

cancelled or season two Missing TV showEarlier this year, ABC introduced a thriller series called The River. It wasn’t a ratings success and will surely be cancelled later this month. Now, the network is trying an action show called Missing. Will this one fare any differently?

Missing follows Becca Winstone (Ashley Judd), a former CIA operative who’s made a new life for her herself as a single mother and a florist. She agrees to let her son Michael (Nick Eversman) study abroad but, a few weeks into his trip, he disappears and she suspects foul play. Becca arrives in Rome and begins piecing together the clues and it isn’t long before the kidnappers realize they’ve picked a fight with the wrong woman. The cast also includes Cliff Curtis, Tereza Voriskova, Adriano Giannini, and Sean Bean.

The series debuted on March 15th and attracted a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.6 million total viewers. That wasn’t a bad performance considering that Missing was airing opposite American Idol and the hyped return on NBC’s Community. CBS was airing a low-rated NCAA Basketball game instead of their usual sitcoms.

In week two, Missing dropped a whopping 24% in the demo and dropped to fourth place in the timeslot (beaten by Idol, Community, and more basketball) with a 1.6 rating and 8.81 million. In week three, the demo dropped another 6% and the show remained in fourth place.

Over the course of this season, Missing’s ratings have slowly dwindled further downward. In fact, the show’s demo numbers have never risen.

Should Missing be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s installment of Missing dropped another 14%, to a new series low, with a 1.2 in the demo and 6.32 million total viewers. It’s demo rating was tied for fourth place in the timeslot — with The CW’s Vampire Diaries.

When a series on a major network ties (or is beaten) by something airing on The CW, you know there’s a major problem.

Missing is currently ranked 21st out of 22 scripted ABC shows this season. It currently has a “D” grade on our ABC Ratings Report Card and is only outperforming Charlie’s Angels average — that was the remake that occupied the same timeslot and was cancelled last November.

Though ABC hasn’t said as much, there’s no chance that Missing will be renewed for a second season. The ratings are just too low — and they keep going lower.

On the positive side, there are only two episodes left in the season so it seems very likely that the network will let them both air before cancelling the show.

But, what do you think? Are you enjoying Missing? Is it worth renewing or should it have been cancelled awhile ago?

Ashley July 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

The missing is great, keep it going.

Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 11:58 am

Please don’t cancel Missing. It’s a great show.

Anonymous July 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

I can’t wait until the next season. don’t cancel the show it’s great and have you on your edge of your seat

broncosrule July 22, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Don’t cancel this show! Promote it better and you will succeed! We have five people in this family that love the show and we are very disappointed with your decision. Change it so we will like ABC again!

vicki ficken July 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

Please don’t cancel missing, it’s the best show on and I really enjoyed the suspense, we have enough reality and comedy, plus the dancing and singing, yada yada…hope somebody picks it up if ABC cancels it….bad decision, alot of people liked it, don’t care what the ratings were, don’t canel it!

Anonimus PhD July 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I haven’t had cable for years -I was bored the same stupid shows.Finally an intelligent script! Cancel all reality shows and boring junk for brainless and keep this one –really very interesting , very good show Who rates this show?

joe July 20, 2012 at 5:49 am

bring missing back, we would love to watch the continuing part

Vic July 20, 2012 at 5:24 am

Do NOT Cancel Missing! This is the best show by far for some time.
Think about it….. There are too many reality shows. Not everyone gets a chance to watch it on the night. I tape it for later, have other friends tape if for me or I watch it on the net. Be different and stay with the show. It’s awesome!

Lauren July 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Please someone, pick up Missing. Its the best show I’ve seen in years.

Bart Tonckens July 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This is Bart all the way from Amsterdam – Holland.

Man how could you cancel such a fast pace exiting, very professional serie.. My whole family loves it…! We recon its the best series for a while…!!
You better cancel all those American Idol shit and all other talent contests. Only the brainless youth watch that kinda stuff..
Please please please bring back ‘Missing’ for more seasons to come…!! Or please let another network pick this serie up. As ‘Missing’ is far far far away from being a dead serie.. It tastes like so much more after ‘Becca’ got missing in the end of the last episode..

Crossing my fingers,
Bart (Amsterdam-Holland)

Rose July 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Please, please bring it back….I love Ashley, the scenes of Europe, you cant beat that.
The hell with America Idol, I’m sick of those singers anyway. too much hipe…..Gime me some real action and adventure and mystery and beautiful back drops….thats what Missing was all about…….

Erica July 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Please don’t cancel the show this is one of my favorites. Already jonesing for the next season. Love this show!!!!!!

Anonymous July 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

ABC is crazy not to renew this show. Hope another network picks it up..and show ABC the
Large mistake they are made in not renewing.

Rose July 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I agree, bring it back, someone pick it up plesae…….sick of all the boring junk on TV….When Lost ended I was depressed. Then I got hooked on Missing, you want to can after just one season??????Bah Humbug

Anonymous July 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

You have a lot of nothing on TV which is mostly guided towards the very young– teens-nerds and geeks– You put on a show that has some substance to it and what do the idiots do– cancel it after the first season–

Glenda July 5, 2012 at 1:14 am

I haven’t had cable on my TV for years because I was bored with all the same old unrealistic shows they air, but just happened to watch the first week of Missing while at my sister’s and was hooked. I went to my sister’s faithfully every week after, often having to rearrange my time schedule, just to watch it. I was SOOOO DISAPPOINTED to learn it had been cancelled. There is a lot of garbage on TV these days which they keep running season after season?? I find the reason they used for cancelling hard to believe. Who rates these things anyway?? For once here was a realistic show with a good storyline that kept you hanging on until the next week and they cancel it!! So I guess that takes care of my notion of perhaps connecting my cable again for the fall, doesn’t it? Too bad …. so sad.

issy July 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I love this show, please bring it back for another season!!!!!