Moonlight: If the Show Can Be Saved, Will O’Loughlin Want to Do It?

MoonlightLast week we reported that there was a possibility that the now-cancelled Moonlight series could find a new home on the CW. Though CBS dropped it, the show was being pitched to Media Rights Capitol, the company who recently purchased CW’s Sunday night airtime. Though MRC quickly passed on the series for fall, there was still a possibility that it could pop up midseason. Unfortunately, MRC has now passed on that opportunity as well. Happily for the fans, the show’s chances for survival may not be dead just yet.

Word is that Warner Bros. Television (the studio that produces the series) is still trying to find another home for the vampire drama. They’re approaching cable networks like TNT but Moonlight’s budget is prohibitive for most potential cable buyers. To help reduce the production costs, Warners is also looking into finding a new and cheaper shooting location. Warner shows like Smallville and Supernatural already film in Canada.

Part of the budget problems is one of the show’s greatest assets — Alex O’Loughlin. Because of the actor’s exposure on the series, he’s now in high demand and will likely end up being signed to another weekly series if Moonlight doesn’t survive. His agent, Nathan Morris, tells news.com.au, “He has got a whole raft of things to read through — a role like [Mick] has definitely opened plenty of doors. . . The key is to strike while the iron is hot. ”

It remains to be seen if O’Loughlin would be willing to take a paycut so that Moonlight could move to a smaller cable channel. It would also mean possibly passing on other mainstream projects that might further his career.

Though the actor clearly enjoys vampire role, the CBS series has been a veritable rollercoaster ride. After being told of the series’ cancellation, O’Loughlin described his exhaustion due to the show’s turbulent freshman year. He wrote, “From the very beginning when I was told time and again that I wasn’t the man for the job, having to prove myself to everyone with tests and screen tests, to a complete re-casting of the show, through 5 different show runners at the helm with 5 different artistic visions, to a Writer’s strike that took 5 episodes away from us? oh how the list goes on.”

Soonafter writing this, O’Loughlin and his girlfriend, Holly Vance (who guested as Lola on Moonlight), reportedly escaped L.A. for a two week vacation in Mexico.

Will a new home for the vampire series be found? Would the series’ male star still be on-board if that happens? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

64 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. ruth says

omg i so hope they wont cancel the show i also just reacently found the show and fell in love with the charecters u guys do an amazing job with the series i love the romance between mick and beth and how u find out diffrent things about micks past and connection with beth its wonderful and i hope u get to continue the seires

2. Holly says

Thye have to bring moonlight back with the same Mick! This show is the only thing me and my mother have in common and with that season finale we need more!!! I would even pay for it, cant they at least do a movie like Sex and the city? PLEASE!!!!!!!

3. Natalie says

Well it is now 5/26/2009. Moonlight is on DVD since January 2009. Alex O’Loughlin did a turn on Criminal Minds back in April, did a wonderful job as an OCD killer, a role so different from Mick St. John. Alex is now filming a movie with Jennifer Lopez – pictures and video available online on various fan and tv websites. The movie The Back-Up Plan will be out in theatres January 2010. Alex looks hot. Also, his show is on the CBS lineup in the fall called Three Rivers, he plays a doctor. See CBS website and click on Three Rivers, view it and leave a comment. Hope that CBS treats him better this time around than with Moonlight – it deserved a second season. Also, his movie with Beckinsale is slated for September 2009.

4. Brandie Davis says

Please please bring back Moonlight. I work with a bunch of women and thats all we could talk about when it was on. It was our nighttime fantasy! Come back to us!

5. amy says

Ok, I just barely found out about this tv series, two weeks ago. I got online, searched out the episodes, and from the very first epi, I was hooked! I found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning, too hooked to turn off the episodes(which seeings as I have 3 children under 5, one of which is only 6 months, that is quite a feat!). I am devestated that the show is now canceled! Atleast it left off on a happy note, but I still want more! I hope someone will bring it back. but now that Alex is doing a new show, would he do moonlight still? I dont think it would be the same with a new Mick. *sobs in moonlight withdrawl tantrum*

6. Becks says

I want Moonlight back!! Please put Moonlight back!! Such a cliffhanger!
    Alex is so hot in there! And the show is pretty good too.
    Devastated that i can’t look forward to watchin him in moonlight again! argh!
    I really hope there will be like an ongoing season WITH alex in it!
    MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT ALL THE WAY!
    PLEASE PLEASE PUT IT BACK ON!

7. Rhonda says

I have watched a lot of vampire movies and tv shows, moonlight is by far the best one i have seen. I loved from the first episode. Alex O’Loughlin was the PERFECT choice for the roll and it’s not just because he’s Australian, although Australia grows some good looking BLOKES, mate. All I have to say is MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT! MOONLIGHT! Bring back our MOONLIGHT. You can’t just leave us hanging? Who left the list of vampires in the D.A.’s office? The photos of Mick when he got hit by that car, who sent those to the D.A.? Did Mick and Beth finally get into bed together? HOW CAN YOU LEAVE US HANGING LIKE THIS??????

8. Dana says

If they did bring back Moonlight with a new Alex, i probably wouldn’t watch it. I can’t believe anyone would say that he didn’t fit the role. From the very first episode you could easily tell he was perfect, and would be in bigger productions after moonlight was over. But i hope he wont leave it, even though it’s stressfull. Moonlight is just amazingly done. Though i thought that if it wasn’t Alex playing Mick, and Sophia playing Beth, that the series would have been boring and corny. Alex really is a great actor, i hope he keeps up the good work!! (even if he’s working on something besides moonlight!)

9. Nicole Saya says

Instead of keeping all those stupid shows they have now why don’t they bring back Moonlight? It’s a great show and the only reason they didn’t have more fans was because they cancelled it before that many people even knew about it!

10. says

Moonlight was such a good show… I have been waiting for it’s return. The cast was great, the plot was great. True Blood on HBO is doing so good at this time. I think they should give Moonlight another chance. I hope they bring it back.

11. says

Please bring this show back we are all such hugh fans. Your show has a real story and some many different charters. Take some of those reality shows off and stuid game shows. Give us some real tv shows. Bring BACKI moonlight

12. says

Bring back a good show and get rid of some of the talk and housecleaning and how to train your dog. What next are we going to take off smallville, suernatural. We are die hard fans all we want is to be heard without us their would be no popular shows and as for alex he should be honored for us to want him back.We made him what he is and he made us love him by his excellent performances. ALEX COME BACK TO YOUR LOYAL FANS

13. carole says

I really loved moonlight alex is an exceptional actor , hes very good at showing his feelings which today we dont see much, and the love story between him and beth is really good..at the end of the season left with a cliffhanger, not fair , i was really looking forward to season 2 and then found out it was cancelled , i cant beleive all the stupid shows keep renewing but the good shows get dumped. I m really dissapointed in cbs :(