Nikita: CW’s New Action Series; Cancel or Keep It?

NikitaLast night, The CW debuted their second (and final) new series of the Fall 2010 season. The previous evening’s debut of Hellcats did okay. How does Nikita stack up?

Nikita revolves around a young woman (Maggie Q) who was inducted into a secret government agency at a young age and trained to becoming a cold assassin. She manages to hold onto her humanity and is now hell-bent on stopping them. The new TV show also stars Aaron Stanford, Ashton Holmes, Lyndsy Fonseca, Melinda Clarke, Shane West, Tiffany Hines, and Xander Berkeley.

Airing out of the second season premiere of The Vampire Diaries, the first episode of Nikita attracted a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.4 million viewers. It averaged a few more total viewers than the lead-in but didn’t do as well in the demo. Nikita was in fourth place in total viewers but, more importantly, was in second place for the demo.

Should Nikita continue on The CW?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Essentially, Nikita got a decent sampling. But, as in the case of Hellcats, the real test will be to see if the series can hold onto its audience once the other networks start airing their new programming in two weeks.

Thursday night is very competitive and Nikita will be duking it out with Grey’s Anatomy, CSI, The Office/Outsourced, and Fringe. With the exception of NBC’s Outsourced, they’re all established and popular shows.

But, what do you think? Did you tune in to watch Nikita? Do you think it’ll survive or end up cancelled?

Marissa October 6, 2010 at 3:20 am

I TRULY HOPE THEY JUST DON’T KEEP RUNNING IT AT ALL.
AND TO CANDICE, NO I DON’T THINK YOU SAW THE ORIGINAL AT ALL.. THEY DON’T EVEN COMPARE. WITH A LOW BUDGET THEY HAVE BETTER ACTORS.
AND HONESTLY IS NOT EVEN THE PLOT, THE ACTING IS JUST AWFUL.. REALLY AWFUL, I CAN BELIEVE PEOPLE REALLY THINK HE IS GOOD. I MAY GIVE HER CREDIT, SHE DOES LOOK LIKE A SKELETON. LOL.. WHEN I SAW THE PILOT AND THE FAT GUY FROM THE POOL, TELL THE OTHERS TWO HOT GIRLS TO GET OUT OF THE POOL, AND THERE SHE COMES NO BOOBS, NO ASS, JUST BONES… REALLY THAT IS WHAT GUYS LIKE TO SEE.
ANYWAY… IS JUST BAD ACTING… THAT GUY IS JUST AWFUL.

candice October 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I SAW THE OLD VERSIONS OF NIKITA, THIS CW NIKITA IS WAY BETTER!

CW SHOULD KEEP NIKITA, I LOVE WHERE THEY ARE GOING WITH IT/ THE STORY LINE!
ONE OF THE BEST ACTION/SPY SHOW ON TV. I GIVE IT FIVE STARS

CW IS STUPID IF THEY CANCEL NIKITA!

jacktheripper September 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

If anyone has a problem with Nikita, just tell me where they live!!!

Bob-B September 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Keep! It has drama and edge and starts off where the original and “Point of No Return” ends…

Deb September 15, 2010 at 8:33 am

Thank goodness for DVR’s. I really like this show this actress brings a new diminsion to the character. I like her a lot!

Grandizer September 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I watched it, it was okay, it seems to me it like Covert Action is another female super secret chick show that has nothing on the show it tries to copy… Alias.

Don’t get me wrong, they have BEAUTIFUL women playing the good parts, however, unless they are putting her in sexy clothes EVERY week, they are quickly going to lose the male demographic.

I will watch it until it no longer interests me, then say goodbye…

badlooz September 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm

KEEP. I like the premise of both Nikita and Hellcats. As long as the storylines continually evolve and character development enhances, then all should be good. Both have what viewers are looking for… hot women, good lookin’ guys, interesting plot and a hook at the end to keep viewers wondering what will happen next. In the end, it is all up to the writers! The casted actors are worth watching.

MelB September 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

OK IT’S LIKE THIS!!! ….NIKITA IS BRINGING A LITTLE DRAMA TO THE CW AND THAT’S GOOD I LIKE IT, HELL CATS IS DEFINITELY A COOL SHOW BUT I THINK THEY SHOULD THINK ABOUT KICKING “ONE TREE HILL” OFF THE f****N AIR !

ron September 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm

RIP nikita and hellcats; well i hope anyway; they both suck

Tim September 11, 2010 at 8:03 am

KEEP. Maggie Q is the most believable Nikita yet, and she would kill any of the other pretenders in under 30 seconds.

CG September 11, 2010 at 7:53 am

The story seems to follow up where the movie ‘Point of no return’, staring Bridget Fonda, left off.
I think it ‘Nikita’ kicked ass! Maybe if viewers had seen ‘Point of no return’, they would appreciate the new version of ‘Nikita’. 67% say keep it!

Jeremy Rynek September 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I would like to say it’ll survive, but I don’t think it will honestly. It was good but not great. The CW already gets low ratings, I really don’t think it’ll survive the C.S.I. Grey’s anatomy and The Office time slot honestly. Their gonna have to do a lot more advertising or something. Maggie Q is one sexy leading lady, but she’s got some really tough competiton. Good luck.

cuba September 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm

it was sad to look at.
shane west was terribly annoying, maggie q… yawn…
melinda clarke and xander berkeley – bad too.
unless you look at it as a parody it fails.

Anonymous September 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Awful. Anyone who like this trash never saw the orginal Nikita.

Robert September 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm

David182, although the CW did not start the shows, they also have SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL, two shows that I enjoy. I haven’t seen VAMPIRE DIARIES, but people whose opinion I trust say it becomes pretty decent if you stick with it. I agree that LIFE UNEXPECTED is a good show, but disagree with OTH, a show that I can’t figure out has managed to stay on the air despite being out and out godawful. And GOSSIP GIRL is a narrative mess, with arcs that never extend more than 2 or 3 episodes. It is like they have targeted only people with short term memory disorders. So I think the CW has both less and more going for it than you do.

Most people don’t understand the CW’s business model. Short term, they target a small audience of teen age girls, which produced low rated shows that wouldn’t survive on any other network. Long term, they want to generate enough seasons in order to syndicate the shows, where considerable money can be made. The low-rated GOSSIP GIRL will be one of the first shows that they can syndicate. They don’t have syndication deals with SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL, which is one reason they were willing to movie SMALLVILLE, which was one of their highest rated shows, on Fridays. Even though it could continue to be one of their most watched shows on a Thursday or even Friday, they will make little money from it going into syndication. Same with SUPERNATURAL (which will almost certainly be cancelled after this next year).

I’m not sure I like their business model, but it almost certainly guarantees that NIKITA will last, given their long term goals.

candice October 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm

“I saw the original Luc Besson film, the American remake with Brigit Fonda, and the Canadian TV series. Yet I liked this new version.

I liked the twist of Nikita trying to take the organization down. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the show. ”

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ROBERT!

IT WAS SAD TO HEAR THAT CW IS THINKING OF CANCELING NIKITA! I AM SO PISSED

david182 September 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm

its the cw, other than life unexpeted and one tree hill and gossip girl they have nuthin!!! this network wont be around for long if they dont change it up.