Privileged: CW Series Cancelled, No Season Two for Joanna Garcia and Company

PrivilegedThough it was looking like the underperforming CW series had a chance at survival, the network has decided to pull the plug on Privileged.

Privileged follows the story of Megan Smith (Joanna Garcia), a perky young journalist who becomes a live-in tutor for two wealthy teenage girls (Lucy Hale and Ashley Newbrough). Others in the cast include Michael Cassidy, Allan Louis, Brian Hallisay, Kristina Apgar, and Anne Archer.

Despite positive reviews and buzz, Privileged debuted on September 9, 2008 to just 2.64 million viewers and a 1.2/3 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers weren’t great for the junior network and ratings for subsequent episodes fell significantly over the rest of the season.

The network made multiple attempts to boost the show’s audience — giving it more exposure by rerunning episodes in various timeslot — but most viewers just didn’t seem to be particularly interested.

Though the ratings certainly hadn’t mandated it, the network had been considering bringing Privileged back for another season. A few weeks ago, it was announced that the CW would rerun the series during the summer months, an indication that the series still potentially had a future.

But, though Privileged matches the CW’s target demographic, the network has ultimately decided to cancel it. The CW has several potentially strong new series in the hopper and would rather take a chance on them.

Following the cancellation news, series creator Rina Mimoun wrote to Michael Ausiello, “It’s truly heartbreaking. I’m so grateful to everyone out there who supported our little show and fell in love with Megan Smith. She was the most delightful character I’ve ever had the pleasure to write and watching JoAnna Garcia bring her to life every day was a gift I will never forget.”

She concluded, “I’m incredibly proud of the work we did and forever indebted to all the fans, critics and to Warner Bros. for being so wonderful and supportive. I will miss this more than you know.”

How would Megan’s story have ended? We may likely never find out.

Canceled and renewed TV show

153 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

NOOOOOOOO!!!! This is one of my favourite shows, I love it 😀
    Pretty please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ata says

THIS SUCKS!!!!! i LOVE this show sooo much!I cant believe it i am a 49 yr old woman ,from Danmark and i got glued to this tv series , i used to watch it every single week.I have been searching the web looking for a Season 2 , please bring it back!!!

3. molly says

omg!! I cant believe it i am a 34 yr old woman ,from the uk and i got glued to this fantastic addictive program , i have been searching the web looking for a series 2 as it was a cliff hanger for me, please! please! please! bring this program back “somebody” or write a book just something so i’m not in this suspense i even recorded this series on play back tv so i didn’t miss a single part of it !! i need an end pleeeaase !!!

4. Alana Maguire says

Im SICK of watching a whole series… LOVING it… and then finding out its second series has been cancelled. I don’t think networks should be allowed to do this!!! Its happening with alot of Shows!!! Im afraid to start watching a TV show now in case i get too attatched!!!!

5. Anonymous says

i love this show i adore will and megan together
    i miss this show so much please please please bring it back as soon as possible

6. Abby says

THIS SUCKS!!!!! i LOVE this show sooo much!! it’s sooo unfair!! i used to watch it every single week!!!! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!! i miss it sooo much. i wanna know how it ended with megan and everything!!!!

7. Louise says

Emily.. The final episode aired in like September, that was just a re run.

I cannot believe its been canceled :O :O This is so ****, Can they not atleast write us a book to tell us how it ends?

8. emily says

i am 12 years old and i love privileged!
    i watch it from england on e4 and the final episode was shown around 2 days ago.
    i really want a season two!

9. Nmadili says

Oh my God!!! I so can Not believe it… I sooooooooo loved this show, bought the series and watched it over and over again, waiting for the second season, only to just now find out it has been cancelled. I am so unhappy, Megan was the most delightful character, reminded me so much of myself when I was young, innocent, idealistic… I so wanted to see her life and story unfold and yeild a better outcome than mine so far :) … she is so walking in my very own footsteps! Please bring her back, and the crew, I miss them so…

10. Jade says

NO WAY- you gotta bring it back i LOVE that show-i live in the UK and couldn’t wait until it came back-and they cant leave it at a cliffhanger like that!! this sucks PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!