The Assets

The Assets TV seriesNetwork: ABC
Episodes: Eight (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: January 2, 2014 – August 3, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Paul Rhys, Jodie Whittaker, Harriet Walter, Stuart Milligan, Julian Ovenden, Christina Cole, and Ralph Brown.

current TV show

TV show description:
This drama is based on the real life events of CIA counter-intelligence officer Sandy Grimes (Jodie Whittaker). The story takes place in 1985 during the end of the Cold War.

Sandy and her partner Jeanne Vertefeuille (Harriet Walter) have vowed to find the mole that would turn out to be the most notorious traitor in US History, Aldrich Ames (Paul Rhys). Sandy is in a race against time to save the Soviet intelligence officers from being caught and killed.

Also a beautiful wife and mother, Sandy lives her own double life and has vowed to stop at nothing until she uncovers the truth.
space

Series Finale

Episode #8 — Avenger
Despite the task force being fully convinced of Ames’ guilt, Sandy seeks more definitive proof to convince the Justice Department to proceed with their own investigation. As the hunt closes in on Ames, Sandy’s commitment to the job pushes her husband’s patience and commitment to the brink. After Ames is finally caught and brought to justice, he mulls over a major decision — to go down defiantly or to confess and protect his wife and child. (Courtesy ABC)
First aired: August 3, 2014

space
What do you think? Do you like the The Assets TV series? Do you think it should have been renewed for another season?

Meredith September 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

It should not have been canceled. This is a real shame. Good show. I understand. Obviously ABC target viewers are morons.

Patricia September 9, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I agree with all the comments praising this show. My husband and I just watched the whole series on Netflix in two days–intelligent, well acted, and very engaging. Since it was a true story and followed through to the arrest of Ames, I don’t think that it could continue as a fictional series could. But we need more programming like this–it could bring my husband and me back to TV and could compete well with the British programming.

Is this series available on DVD? We would like to share it with family and friends.

Shelli Berwick August 15, 2014 at 2:19 am

Great series: unique era, well-done, based on a true story. Really disappointed when it ended! Chilling to realize this really happened. Enjoyed the footage of the real-life players at the end. There should be more shows like this.

jonathan August 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Watched all 8 episodes in 1 sitting and so glad i did.

Kate August 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this show! It’s our history! Can’t believe it was cancelled for some slimy show about infidelity!

Jeannine August 9, 2014 at 2:24 pm

My husband & I LOVED this show – and couldn’t believe that it was “pulled” after showing the 1st 2 episodes in Jan. Luckily, I still had it listed in my DVR, so was shocked when it reappeared in June.( or July?) Anyway, we agree with all the other positive comments. We’d definitely watch more series like this.

Annette August 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

So glad to see The Assests come back on it was an awesome show. Interesting shows! Wish there were more shows like it .

MK August 5, 2014 at 10:45 am

What an outstanding mini series this was. Well acted, suspenseful, and true. One of the best things TV has put out there in a long, long time. Thank you ABC for at least airing it all for those of us who appreciate good drama.

Maybe History Channel would like to redeem itself from it’s slide into reality TV hell by creating a series similar in nature where each “season” would explore a true historical event (something post WWII like The Assets was preferably) and conclude. Sort of an American Horror Story of dramatized history.

Kathleen August 5, 2014 at 7:15 pm

What a wonderful idea. History Channel are you listening? Sometimes I wonder if anyone is listening.

carol August 6, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Well done . I would like to see more

Shelli Berwick August 15, 2014 at 2:22 am

That would be really cool! The Assets was really well-executed: great acting, fast pace, authentic accents, intereting story,… There would be no shortage of material for similar shows like this. So-called ‘Reality TV’ is getting old. Reality-based TV like this is far more interesting.

Michael August 5, 2014 at 12:47 am

Thank you so much ABC for redeeming yourselves and airing the series the Assets. You have almost restored my faith in the value of broadcast TV.

valerie August 4, 2014 at 8:35 pm

so glad they finally aired the last of the series! It was a fantastic program!!!

Wilson August 4, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Tell me it ain’t so! Loved this show and to know it was based on real life, in my lifetime. Somebody needs to step up and keep this kind of TV going. Please!

Mary August 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thank you ABC!! Don’t know why you put “The Assets” back on unless it was all of us people out here making a lot of noise about it. I’m really glad I will be able to see all of the episodes. Please do some more series like this, loved it, especially since it is true. Thank you to all of you who emailed me to let me know it was back on.

Ulana Ratley August 4, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I am glad that ABC finally showed the rest of “The Assets.” I was hoping they would show more about Edward Lee Howard, and how he took the blame for Ames. Howard wrote his story in his novel Safe House telling how he was innocent. Later he died in a suspicious way.

Yes, we need more historical shows instead of the reality shows. “The Assets” should go on Netflixs, I agree.

Joyce August 4, 2014 at 11:44 pm

OUTSTANDING SERIES! This uplifts Television programming ~~ enough of those inane and stupid reality shows!

Nothing can be better than true life stories.

Congratulations and THANKS to ABC for following through in producing the series AND for letting us see the entire series!!

Donna August 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

So glad that I was finally able to catch up on all the shows. What a great Series Finale and will miss this show but loved the ending. Might go back and watch the Pilot again to see how it all began.

ryne muller August 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

Another show I found on hulu that is cancelled! C’mon man. Ain’t nobody got time for TV schedule! Let Netflix pick this show up.

Sue July 30, 2014 at 12:51 am

I totally agree with all the comments praising The Assets, so refreshing to watch something real and historical. I cannot believe there aren’t enough people who enjoy this intelligent type of programming that ABC would even consider canceling it.

Pat July 29, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Nothing but praise for this show. I hope it’s picked up by another network, it deserves to continue.

CathyLH August 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

From your lips to network’s ears. What a shame that non-reality shows are all the rage, but give the public a decent interpretation of actual reality and they can’t be bothered. The Assets would be a great show for the History Channel, instead of the reality crap they have been sponsoring as of late. Not holding my breath…