The Deep End: Is Tonight’s the Last Episode of the ABC TV Show?

Matt Long in The Deep EndTonight marks the “season finale” for ABC’s The Deep End. Will the TV show be back next season or will it be cancelled?

The Deep End revolves around five first-year associates who work at a top Los Angeles law firm. It features the talents of Matt Long, Ben Lawson, Tina Majorino, Norbert Leo Butz, Leah Pipes, Billy Zane, Sherri Saum, Clancy Brown, Mehcad Brooks, and Rachelle Lefevre.

The ABC series debuted on January 21st and got off to a very poor start. The first episode attracted just 7.07 million viewers and a terrible 1.8/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. For the timeslot, it was in third place in total viewers and fourth place in the demo.

Subsequent episodes have performed even worse. The five episodes that have aired so far have average 5.65 million viewers and a 1.6 rating. Last week’s installment hit a series low and attracted just 4.26 million viewers and a horrible 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demo.

TV show supportThough seven episodes of this series have been created, ABC only scheduled six of them. Based on the ratings, it’s highly unlikely that the network will ever get around to showing the last episode. It’s also not likely that ABC will consider renewing The Deep End for a second season. Hopefully tonight’s episode won’t leave viewers with any cliffhangers or too many unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Why aren’t more people watching The Deep End? Is there just too much competition on Thursday nights or is it just not a very good show?

Jessica February 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I LOVED THIS SHOW SOOOO MUCH! HOW CAN THEY CANCEL IT?!

Angie February 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Keep it! Like the others said, Thursday is a bad night for a new show. But I loved it, I always went back and watched it Friday night online, instead of watching any other show. I think the characters are well played, the story lines are intersting, and I will definatly keep watching it if you bring it back!!! Please stop killing all the good shows.

Kristen February 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I absolutely love this show!!!! PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF THE AIR!!! Please just move it another night. It’s great. ABC does this all the time, they get you hooked in on a show and then they cancel it, just like they did with EASTWICK!!!!!!!! UGH!

Mattie February 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I concur that this show has brought much to the ABC line-up. The timeslot does interfere with ‘American Idol’, which has undoubtedly affected it’s popularity. It also airs the same time as NBC’s ‘The Office’. Another factor to consider is the amount of viewers watching online at a later time, as well as those who have access to DVR.

I firmly believe that this show deserves a second chance. With its witty humor and positive depictation of a group of first lawyers the show can only add to the entertainment world. ‘Deep End’ has proved to provide American viewers with a group of young people they can respect, as they stick to their guns in every area of their lives.

Here’s hoping ABC makes the right decision.

Elizabeth February 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I totally agree. I love The Deep End, but I think it’s in a bad time slot with way too much competition. If they would give the chance to grow and gain a strong audience base I really think it would do well in the future. I hate when the cancel before a show has time to really find it’s niche!

Val February 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

I very much enjoy the show. I hope it is renewed. It may not have the viewers because of the Thursday night slot. Why are all the great shows, includind Deep End all on Thursday nights. Why not spread them over the week. There are nights there is nothing worthwhile on to watch. I think Deep End deserves a second season.

Shana February 26, 2010 at 7:38 am

I love this show… it is different then what is out there right now.

leonardoav February 26, 2010 at 12:27 am

It’s a great show! But, it’s in wrong time slot.
Damn! I hate when good shows are cancelled

DNMP February 26, 2010 at 12:25 am

I do think that the show is in a tough time slot. It took me a few weeks to consider watching the show but the show is GOOD and it should have a chance at a full season so that it can attract viewers. I also help that execs are looking at online viewership; I watch most of my TV online these days.

Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 12:16 am

It’s an awesome show I really hope they move it to another night. I really just feel like it’s in a bad time slot! I have watched every episode and truly hope they give it a second chance.

Alison February 25, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I love it too! It seems silly to cancel it when it debuted with American Idol and would have been trying to gain ground during the Olympics. It din’t really even have enough episodes to get people talking about it. I think it fits with the other two shows in the lineup (even though it makes for an unproductive three hours on my part)

AS February 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I love this show! It’s a great lead in for Grey’s and Private Practice. I went to high school with Mehcad, so it’s great seeing him on tv! Hope the show and the cast get a second season!

Erica February 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I LOVED the show. It cracked me up. It was light-hearted but still serious. I don’t think there was a lot of hype or promotion about the show and Thursday night is a tricky night, especially for a new show. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. Please renew it!!

CJ February 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I hope the execs give it a second chance, I’ve watched every episode and quite honestly love it.

JOENLLA February 25, 2010 at 5:54 pm

THE TIME SLOT HAS TOO MUCH COMPETITION WITH AMERICAN IDOL AND SURVIVOR PLEASE MOVE IT TO ANOTHER TIME SLOT OR NIGHT!