The Deep End: Is Tonight’s the Last Episode of the ABC TV Show?

Matt Long in The Deep EndTonight marks the “season finale” for ABC’s The Deep End. Will the TV show be back next season or will it be cancelled?

The Deep End revolves around five first-year associates who work at a top Los Angeles law firm. It features the talents of Matt Long, Ben Lawson, Tina Majorino, Norbert Leo Butz, Leah Pipes, Billy Zane, Sherri Saum, Clancy Brown, Mehcad Brooks, and Rachelle Lefevre.

The ABC series debuted on January 21st and got off to a very poor start. The first episode attracted just 7.07 million viewers and a terrible 1.8/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. For the timeslot, it was in third place in total viewers and fourth place in the demo.

Subsequent episodes have performed even worse. The five episodes that have aired so far have average 5.65 million viewers and a 1.6 rating. Last week’s installment hit a series low and attracted just 4.26 million viewers and a horrible 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demo.

TV show supportThough seven episodes of this series have been created, ABC only scheduled six of them. Based on the ratings, it’s highly unlikely that the network will ever get around to showing the last episode. It’s also not likely that ABC will consider renewing The Deep End for a second season. Hopefully tonight’s episode won’t leave viewers with any cliffhangers or too many unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Why aren’t more people watching The Deep End? Is there just too much competition on Thursday nights or is it just not a very good show?

Paul N March 29, 2010 at 9:54 am

You gave Better Off Ted quite a few chances and maybe that’s why The Deep End was deep sixed, or maybe because Better Off Ted is a half hour show verses an hour long show, but The Deep End did need a chance to grow. Maybe a different time slot. Maybe placing it after one of your more successful shows aka Grey’s Anatomy/Private Practice would work. Maybe you should bring in Betty White, she seems to bring up the ratings whenever she’s on board? There is a plethora of ideas that could make this show work. Just think about it!

Olivia T March 26, 2010 at 9:29 am

Please leave that show alone!!!! i think, like someone said earlier, it’s doing so bad because of bad advertising and also wrong timing!!!! there is so many things to watch thursday it’s just amazing and 8pm it’s not the good time it’s too early, put it on tuesday or friday around 9 or 10, whatever but don’t take it out!!!! i love that show, the story is great and casting is just amazing, that show has really great actors, so please let us watch it!!!!!
THX

Lisa March 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm

My husband and I are very disappointed that we can’t watch this show anymore. I really wish they would bring it back!!! Maybe it would do better on another night. We felt it was one of the best new shows of the season!!

Anonymous March 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I love this show!! I think they need to bring it back but maybe not on Thursday nights!! It is a great show but there are ALOT of great shows on Thursday…but The Deep End deserves to be brought back!!!

Anonymous March 24, 2010 at 5:06 am

Please leave it alone. You take good shows like this off without giving it a chance to grow, but leave other stupid shows on????? Why?????

Darren and Sara March 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm

My Girlfriend and I have enjoyed watching the series and felt that show is starting to hit its stride. The storylines with the younger characters seem to be fluid enough, but the storyline with two older attorneys seems a little clunky. The oldest attorney is under utilized after seeing his acting in Carnival. The mentor attorney adds some good comic relief, but it would be fun to play up the fact he is mentoring these young lawyers without doing any cases himself.

Demetrius March 16, 2010 at 2:45 am

Overall im bored of shows like grey’s anatomy, er, and the number of lawyer shows that take themselves too seriously. I was hesitant to watch this show as from a 3 person perspective it looked like just another lawyer drama. The only thing that forced me to watch the show was “the prince of darkness” hes been one of my fav actors since watching the phantom as a child. After seeing the show i was hooked, its light and hilarious with cleaver dialog. I hope they notice that the show isn’t bad, its just poorly timed, i also watch all my shows online, i cant remember the last time i actually watched my dish.

Anonymous March 15, 2010 at 10:49 am

They definitely should not cancel The Deep End… I’m shocked that they aren’t giving this show more time to procure demand.

Sharon March 15, 2010 at 8:39 am

I love The Deep end and pray it comes back on. It left me wondering about so many things. Please bring it back. There is nothing on that’s good on Thursday at that time.

Clarissa March 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

You have stupid shows like the Bachelor, Wife Swap, and America’s Funniest Videos that I suppose is doing well enough. But you cancel good shows like The Deep End without giving much time for it to grow on the public. The scheduling of this show is bad. Just give it some time.

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Please renew “The Deep End!” It definitely has promise, just give the writers a chance to develop the characters and storyline – 6 episodes isn’t enough time. Also, try putting it on Wednesday night, or even Monday, but too much competition on Thursday, and the 8:00 time slot is wrong for that show…too much sexual innuendo, so you can’t watch with your kids if they’re still up…or we’re trying to get our kids to bed at that time, etc… It belongs at 9:00 or later. The partners are the anchors, great actors, esp. the bald one (forget his name, but used to watch him on “Charmed”)…he’s fun to watch!

Sincerely,
Anonymous 30 something mother

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I really like the show!!! It’s refreshing and I look forward to watching it every Thursday. I really hope they don’t cancel it!

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I really do like that show.. the shouldn’t cancell it

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 10:34 am

LEAVE IT ON!

Kellie March 11, 2010 at 7:54 am

Abc should keep the show, they have cancelled so many shows that had the potential to be good, but weren’t given the opportunity to grow. I recognize the issue of low ratings, which I do not believe is the show’s fault because if it had proper advertisement then more people would know about it and more would watch. After the third episode of a show it usually drops 2million so the decrease in viewers was inevitible but had the show been advertised a little better it would have been prepared for the drop and the decrease would have went unnoticed, because the ratings would have been higher.