The Event: Big New TV Show for NBC; Cancel or Keep It?

The EventOf all the new shows this season, it seems like NBC has the highest hopes for The Event. How did the new show do in the ratings? Will it be the next Lost or the next FlashForward?

The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter), a young man who’s investigating the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend. He slowly begins to uncover the biggest cover-up in the history of the United States. Others in the cast include Sarah Roemer, Laura Innes, Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Patterson, Clifton Collins Jr., Taylor Cole, Lisa Vidal, Bill Smitrovich, Zeljko Ivanek, and Blair Underwood.

The first episode attracted an average 3.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.9 million total viewers. It was in third place in both areas, though it did tie CBS’ Mike & Molly for second place in the demo in the second half hour.

What do you think of The Event?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This was a big improvement over last season’s Heroes premiere and built on the Chuck lead-in by 80%. That’s impressive. What’s more, viewership grew as the hour progressed, meaning that people stuck with it and new people even joined in midway.

While this performance is positive, it’s not as big a start as the network wanted. The real test will be to see how well The Event holds up over the next few weeks. AS you may remember, ABC’s FlashForward started with very healthy numbers but viewership dwindled each week and it was ultimately cancelled after one season.

But, what do you think? Do you like The Event? Is it confusing or intriguing? Will you keep watching or should it be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

186 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Alexandra says

They got rid of Flashforward already, now the Event. Am I the only one watching those shows? Another season please, are they running out of writers? Lack of imagination? Let’s get those juices running! Enough reality shows already!

2. Anonymous says

The event is the best show on tv. They should definately bring season 2. Dont know if i can wait that long. What acliffhanger!

3. Sharla Eggert says

This is the best show on TV and it just gets better ever week. I cannot believe it is being taken off the air. I have a suggestion, maybe sci-fi should pick it up. I know I would definately continue watching…..

4. kathy says

This is a great show. They never really gave it a chance. So, what, people have to pay attention to the keep up with it. That’s good TV. NBC has too many reality shows and not enough shows like The Event.

5. gary says

i think if they cancel it down to not enough viewers it is down to them selfs to blame as they put such a long gap half way through the series they did this to flashforward and heroes….i love the event and it is definately the best show on at the moment other than supernatural lol…no way should they cancel because viewers will get sick of watching there unfinished and questionable finales of great programming….stop putting such long breaks and keep the viewers glued stop with the cancelling keep on the event!!

6. Tina says

I think NBC should continue with the second season. People get into a show and then the network yanks it, why bother watching anything new, hmmm…. ya never know if that’ll get the ax, then the newtorks put on stupid shows that people dont want to watch. Very Frustrating!

7. Maria Ignagni says

My Friend takes off work Monday Nights to come over and watch “The Event.” It has a terrific Ensemble Cast, and it is very well done….I hate it when they take good shows off and drown us with frivolous reality shows….I know what my reality is, and its not good…But, I can escape into “The Event” every Monday Night…Please DO NOT Cancel this show……

8. Victor says

I think NBC should continue with a second season. This show is very good with an excellent cast. Maybe a time slot change will be more prundent than cancelling it.

9. Olga Saltiban says

I love the event, it was good, clean and full of mystery and I thought charm and excitement, I hope it is not cancelled. I guess if there is not a lot of cursing or sex, it doesn’t sell. What happen to watching a series because of intrigue, mystery and great acting. Because the Event has a lot of great acting and actors.

10. Maya says

I love this show. It is the only one that I actually look forward to seeing each week. I don’t know why people say it is hard to follow. If you have begun with the show, you know what is going on already. I would really hate to see this one go. PLEASE KEEP THE EVENT!

11. Susan White says

The Event is a great show. What a shame it is being cancelled. It is intriguing and well written. Unfortunately there is not much left to watch on NBC.

12. alfred cooke says

FANTASTIC, WHY NOT PUT IT ON EARLIER,IT WOULD BRING IN THE VEIWERS,AND A REPEAT OF EACH EPISODE,KEEP IT GOING.

13. j Klassen says

My husband and I LOVE this show. It is easy enough for us to follow, while maintaining a perfect level of mystery and intrigue with just the right amount of science fiction. The show is AWESOME! If it ends up dropped we are hoping another network picks it up and goes with it because it provides lot of fun entertainment with well developed characters, there is enough characters that are very likable and believable in the scheme of things. The enemies even manage to pull a bit at your sense of empathy for their situation. The whole time you are hoping for a peaceful resolve; while understanding how villainousness the aliens are becoming. This show presents and creates many levels of ideology. We hope it stays!!!