The Mysteries of Laura: New Debra Messing TV Show

mysteries of laura on NBCDebra Messing (Will & Grace, Smash) is returning to NBC next season. The actress is set to star in a new series, The Mysteries of Laura, in which she plays an NYPD homicide detective who can handle murderers better than her twin boys and ex-husband. The rest of the cast includes Laz Alonso and Janina Gavankar.

Here’s some more info from the peacock network:

“THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA”

Debra Messing (“Will & Grace”) stars as Laura Diamond, a brilliant NYPD homicide detective who balances her “Columbo” day job with a crazy family life that includes two unruly twin boys and a soon-to-be ex-husband – also a cop – who just can’t seem to sign the divorce papers. Between cleaning up after her boys and cleaning up the streets, she’d be the first to admit she has her “hot mess” moments in this hilariously authentic look at what it really means to be a “working mom” today. Somehow she makes it all work with the help of her sexy and understanding partner, and things becomes even more complicated when her husband ironically becomes her boss at the precinct. For Laura, every day is a high-wire balancing act.

The cast also includes Laz Alonso and Janina Gavankar.

Writer Jeff Rake (“Boston Legal”) and director McG (“Supernatural”) serve as executive producer with Greg Berlanti (“Brothers & Sisters”), Aaron Kaplan (“The Neighbors”) and Todd Lituchy. “The Mysteries of Laura” is a production of Warner Bros. Television, Berlanti Productions and Kapital Entertainment.

No word on how many episodes have been ordered or when the series will start airing. We should know more in the coming week.

What do you think? Does this show sound like a hit or a flop? Will you check it out?

Elizabeth October 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Love the show, the ex, the kids, the writing. Excellent TV show!

Vickie October 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I also read the bad reviews, I think they were high. I also loved it. Well written, great acting. Loved Debra messing. Only watched the first episode, will absolutely watch. If it weren’t for your postings I wouldn’t have watched and would have missed out.

Jenny October 2, 2014 at 10:02 am

I like the show. I read the poor reviews and was skeptical. I love mysteries and I’m getting sick of the predictable gory mystery/drama. I’ve watched the first 3 episodes and I like it. There’s definitely a nitch for a show like this. Good writing, good characters and a great cast. I really hope it lasts

clint September 27, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I’m not sure if the writing is bad, or the acting is bad or the directing is bad? however, I think if the director had everything move a little “faster”, dialogue, action etc.. if might make the show go better.

patricia simons September 19, 2014 at 3:26 am

I would lie to know the name of her od boss . the one she arrested

Rebecca September 18, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I just happened to be looking for something to watch and stumbled on this show. I LOVED it! Its so different from all the other stuff on TV. I hope it makes it!!

Jenny October 2, 2014 at 10:03 am

I completely agree!

Anonymous September 17, 2014 at 10:39 pm

So far it looks good I like the cast good makeup as long as the writing stays good

Anonymous September 16, 2014 at 12:40 am

Sounds like a winner for Debra…Looking 4ward 2cing 1st episode!

Barbara Hancock September 11, 2014 at 6:26 am

I love Debra Messing so I’ll watch whatever she is in . I loved smash too. I’d love to see a will and grace return. Or her as the lead role in an Lucille Ball bio.

sage autumn May 8, 2014 at 8:03 pm

oh fun….this looks like it will be a great show & entertaining…..love debra messing……and the combo of jeff rake & McG should pay off well :) yeah !!! looking forward !!!

Lynn T. Bowan July 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I’m looking so very forward to Debra Messing as homicide cop in NYPD.Debra was AWESOME on Will & Grace.Will be looking 4 the announcement of the date & time 4 The Mysteries Of Laura.Debra Messing,I LOVE U