The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Katie P December 26, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I have been so desperately waiting for another season. I really hope NBC will reconsider. Only one of these singing shows that seems to be pure and have intelligent judges and extremely talented groups that are not only out there to just go out and be pop stars. What a bummer. Such a great show in a sea of crap right now.

Terrill December 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm

The Sing-Off is the only singing show that we watched. We will miss it! Hope NBC will reconsider and bring it back!

AtlBrwns December 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm

The sing off has become a family tradition. Hate to see it go. The entire family watched every episode.

Tom December 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

We have never cared for idol, voice, or x factor.
We watched every episode of Sing Off. Nuff said!

Tom

Cynthia Speakman December 25, 2012 at 1:59 am

I am BUMMMMED! I loved the unique nature of the Sing-Off. I am disappointed to hear there will be yet another singing program that sounds alot like the rest. I was always impressed with the caliber of talent on the Sing-Off. The judges were excellent and gave very constructive, creative criticism. This entire household will miss that show and hope that one day it will be revived.

Bucco Bobby December 23, 2012 at 10:19 am

Some of the best TV reality competitive music presentations were here, plus intelligent judges comments by folks like Ben Folds. Many memorable acts. My favorite is still Kinfolk 9’s “Let it be”. Damn shame…

Dave December 23, 2012 at 12:21 am

The Sing Off was the only unique music singing competition currently airing. The others–American Idol, The X Factor and The Voice–are all very similar. I have a hard time keeping straight which singers peform on which show. The Sing Off was truly one-of-a-kind. So sad to see it go.

Liz Adair December 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

My husband and I are both great fans of The Sing Off. We spread the word and follow the groups that have appeared there. A cappella music is a notch up on the musical talent shows in my opinion, and I’m very sorry it’s not going to be on again this season.

chris December 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Bring it back…. love that show!!!

Mary Canales December 20, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I love the sing off I can’t believe it’s not up for another season
Pls bring it back it was awesome! This is the opportunity of awesome singers

Mary Canales December 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I love the sing off I can’t believe it’s not up for another season
Pls bring it back it was awesome!

Ellinana December 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Please bring it back. There is nothing like singing with the purity of no computer assisted noise.

Buzzie Welch December 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Big mistake. That’s pure singing at its best with no accompaniment. Wow! I loved the judges as well. There’s many shows that are horrible that NBC is keeping. What a screwed up culture we have.

renee cartwright December 20, 2012 at 4:11 am

bring it back, these people could really sing, not like those no singing people on the voice. the voice is to long and hurt the ears. the people on the voice would not know a great voice if it bit them in the ass.

leah d December 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I am so so bummed out!!! Boo on NBC…. the voice off is just too commercial and not the same… what a poor judgement and missed opportunity of the television industry… I Hadn’t been so impressed by a show in a LONG time…. big disappointment.