The Sing-Off: Will It Be Back for Season Four or Cancelled?

Sing Off season four or canceled[SPOILER] Last night, NBC aired the third season finale of The Sing-Off and crowned the winners of the a capella competition. Pentatonix, a five-person ensemble from Arlington, Texas, took home a Sony recording contract and $200,000. Will there be more winners and a fourth season of The Sing-Off or, will the TV series be cancelled instead?

Hosted by Nick Lachey, The Sing-Off began as a short-run series with just four episodes in December of 2009. It did reasonably well (a 2.3 in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers) and was cheap to produce so the peacock network brought it back for season two. It returned the following December and was expanded to five episodes. That renewal paid off and the ratings rose 26%, to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule and 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings have been terrible.

The Sing-Off began this season with a disappointing 1.9 rating in the demographic with 5.3 million viewers. The numbers never got any better they dropped as low as a 1.3 rating, less than half of its worst demo rating last season. The show’s consistently been in fourth place in its timeslot and has lost 40% in the demo season-to-season.

The reality competition is the second-highest non-scripted show on the network but, given the state of the rest of NBC’s schedule, that’s not saying much.

Will NBC cancel The Sing Off? If the network were in better shape, of course they would. As things are, I suspect NBC will bring it back for another season but give it either a summer or holiday run, when competition and expectations are far lower.

In retrospect, they probably shouldn’t have messed with the success they’d been having with it.

But, what do you think? Should Sing-Off return for another season or are you done with it?

aimee November 25, 2012 at 10:09 am

The Sing-off cancelled! Best reality show on tv. I think the rest of reality is horrible! NBC what can you be thinking your line up of shows stink- The Sing-Off was the only reason I turned to your channel every week!

katina williams November 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Please bring back the singoff. It was my favorite singing show. Give the show one more chance. Y’all should have left the singoff coming on December. I think everyone liked it that way I know I did.

Michele Roberts November 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I really hope they will bring The Sing Off back!! It is SO much better than The Voice and all of that other junk. This is real, raw talent and it is such a higher level of talent, what these bands do acapella!! Please, please, foward all of these comments to those who have the power to keep it on the air!!! Love this show!!!

Daphne November 19, 2012 at 12:31 am

The Sing Off is my favorite competition reality show! Please don ‘t cancel it. This show is about pure talent without bells and whistles like the other shows – no bands, or pyrotechnics, just great voices!

Linda November 6, 2012 at 5:24 am

I was so sad to read that The Sing-Off might get canceled. Pure talent is what this show offered. I will be devastated if it is not on this year. Hopefully NBC will read these comments and rethink their decision.

Michelle November 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Please don’t cancel the Sing off I look forward to watching every year I personally think it is the best singing show out there! So NBC please don’t cancel!

Kim November 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

This show is the best example of pure raw talent. I am sad to see it go.

Karen November 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Nov. 1 2012
I’m waiting on pin and needles for the new season. It’s the best music purchases I’ve made since, “The Nylons” back in the day!

Sharon Bodman November 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

I’m in agreement with everyone else regarding the Sing Off. I watched every show and looked forward to each new season. This is a unique format in comparison to the other singing competitions. There are no celebrity egos to interfere with the competition, the judges are likeable and offer great suggestions and the quality of the groups are amazing. This truly is a singing competition like no other,with vocals being the music and instrumentation, this competition has its own niche. It will fill a great spot during the holiday season format for years to come if the network allows its fan base to have its say.

sammie lindsey October 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

My entire family and I watched every episode. We looked
forward to the fall lineup because of the sing off
We really hope they bring that show back.

Marie October 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’ve been channel surfing since Sept. then I decided to search the Internet for the next episode. Come on guys … I loved it we watched every show. It’s clean it’s what America needs raw, clean and honest talent, not pushed forward by money or Its who you know not what you know. Please put it back on the air !!

pam October 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

It’s one of the few programs that we all watched together (over the phone with our daughter who’s out of the house or by text!). I was just trying to find out when it was to be scheduled and saw that it might be canceled!!!! That’s a bummer!

Vince October 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

I thought the singoff was one of the best musical shows on TV. I think they should give it another chance and see what happens.

Vickie October 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

My husband and I LOVED the program, “Sing Off” was one of the most special programs
on TV. Please, please, please,……..do not take it off!!!

cheryl October 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

i loved the show , please don not cancel