The Sing-Off: Will It Be Back for Season Four or Cancelled?

Sing Off season four or canceled[SPOILER] Last night, NBC aired the third season finale of The Sing-Off and crowned the winners of the a capella competition. Pentatonix, a five-person ensemble from Arlington, Texas, took home a Sony recording contract and $200,000. Will there be more winners and a fourth season of The Sing-Off or, will the TV series be cancelled instead?

Hosted by Nick Lachey, The Sing-Off began as a short-run series with just four episodes in December of 2009. It did reasonably well (a 2.3 in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers) and was cheap to produce so the peacock network brought it back for season two. It returned the following December and was expanded to five episodes. That renewal paid off and the ratings rose 26%, to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule and 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings have been terrible.

The Sing-Off began this season with a disappointing 1.9 rating in the demographic with 5.3 million viewers. The numbers never got any better they dropped as low as a 1.3 rating, less than half of its worst demo rating last season. The show’s consistently been in fourth place in its timeslot and has lost 40% in the demo season-to-season.

The reality competition is the second-highest non-scripted show on the network but, given the state of the rest of NBC’s schedule, that’s not saying much.

Will NBC cancel The Sing Off? If the network were in better shape, of course they would. As things are, I suspect NBC will bring it back for another season but give it either a summer or holiday run, when competition and expectations are far lower.

In retrospect, they probably shouldn’t have messed with the success they’d been having with it.

But, what do you think? Should Sing-Off return for another season or are you done with it?

Paula Langley December 26, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Please bring the Sing Off back. I loved, loved, loved it. I am in my late 60′s and appreciate every aspect of the show and its talent. thanks!

Cindy December 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Our family loved the sing off series. It was wholesome entertainment
]

Gina December 20, 2012 at 12:05 am

If this is an opportunity for execs to really hear from the people then PLEASE bring this show back. It may not be the most widely viewed but, those of us who love it, we watch it like CLOCKWORK!!! Passion is a hard thing to describe and, with all the junk out there these days claiming to represent “passion”, this show still feels like the real deal. Don’t take this one treat away from us. It truly gives me something to look forward to and to smile about. I even have my little son excited about singing now. Love the concept, love the judges, love the contestants, love the results. Believe me, “it ain’t broke”, so don’t fix it.

Jennifer December 18, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Please bring the Sing-off back! My family and I love it. I have really missed it this season.

Senior Chief R.J.B. December 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I’m in my sixtys and absolutely love the show. The hard work and team work of singing and dancing, makes me feel like I’m watching something every bit as orchestrated as a pro-ball event (Football or Basketball or any team sport) It’s not just one but everyone contributing to the end goal. The passion of the singing (i.e. Landslide) makes me cry.
Yes, this big guy can be brought to tears because of the sincereity of their combined effort. I believe it’s all the “hype” over and over that detracts from the product. The
music groups can speak (or sing) for themselves. Please bring it back :”This is good TV”

Southern Arizona December 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Please bring it back! We watched it as a family. It’s very entertaining.
Nice Holiday program!

Anonymous December 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Please bring the SING-OFF back! I love the show, my family and I have watched every single episode and have loved all of it. PLEASE bring it back!!!!!

Laura December 14, 2012 at 12:16 am

Please bring the Sing Off back!!! I watched every episode and loved every minute!

Kathy December 5, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I love the Sing-Off, it’s one of my favorite shows. Please bring it back!

Robin December 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Bring it back! It is the most honest and inspirational singing competition on Air. what a wonderful example of what it takes to work to together to create an honest feeling and emotion. Can’t live without it!

Amy December 4, 2012 at 12:15 am

I hope the sing-off has not sang its swan song. We love this show. God bless :)

H&S- Ventua December 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Our family loved t. Please bring back!!

john in Hawaii November 29, 2012 at 9:53 pm

we watched every episode. our favorite musical competition show!!!!!! greatest display of singing talent. totally enjoyable…………. must return….. really the best if you love singers, real singers!!

Wendy November 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

PLEASE BRING THE SING OFF BACK!! It was my favorite show!

Ann Marie OLDFIELD November 28, 2012 at 12:02 am

It was a good holiday show. Hope you bring it back.

Latrice November 27, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I been waiting for the Sing-off to come on please bring it back!