The Tyra Banks Show: Was the Talk Show Actually Cancelled?

TyraLast week, it was reported that Tyra Banks had decided to end her self-named daytime talk show. Ever since that time, rumors have been surfacing that the cancellation wasn’t Banks’ idea.

Gossip columnist Janet Charlton is reporting that The Tyra Banks Show was indeed cancelled, but not by the host herself. The show was reportedly too expensive to produce when measured against the profits. Part of that supposedly stems from Banks’ large salary and the expenses incurred from moving the show from Los Angeles to New York at the start of season three.

While it’s hard to know if this information is completely accurate, the expense issues line up with what we do know for sure.

Do you think Banks cancelled her own show?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the show was in first-run syndication, local stations were paying cash license fees and giving Warner Bros. national ad time. When it moved to the CW afternoon schedule, it switched to an all-barter basis which is less profitable.

The number of original shows was also reduced this season. The usual 34 weeks of production was cut down to 26 weeks. Repeats of earlier episodes filled in the gaps.

Banks reportedly told her staffers that the show was over as the news was being reported in the media. The Daily News quotes a former staffer that says that this wasn’t a surprise. When the show moved across the country, many on the staff weren’t told the news directly and had to find out through the grapevine. Many of them moved to the East Coast to keep their jobs and will soon be out of work.

What do you think? Did Banks decide to end the show or was the decision made for her?

Canceled and renewed TV show

44 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Truck Ker says

She was a self-rightous air-head! I could not believe her opinions. She’ll be gladly missed…… Bye..bye…baby!

2. cali says

FINALLY!!!!!!! I HATED TYRA BANKS…. AND IM SO GLAD THAT SHOW GOT CANCELED ( WEATHER IT WAS HERS OR SOMEONE ELSE IDEA ). ALL TYRA EVER DID WAS TALK ABOUT HERSELF ———– SHES SO CONCEITED….. AND NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR HER TALK ABOUT HERSELF ANYMORE….. I RATHER WATCH A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT THEN TO EVER WATCH THAT STUPID SHOW……….. ALTHOUGH I MUST ADMIT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION IM NOT HATING… JUST HAPPY THATS ALL HAHAHAHAHAHA (((((( F )))))) (((( U ))))

3. Anonymous says

We got Wendy Williams, and her show is the ****!… Boo tyra.. I am suprised you made it this long.

HOW YOU DOIN

4. Jennifer beddingfield says

This was one of the worst talk I have ever seen. The topics were fine but Tyra’s opinion was always obvious. She tried to impose her “holier than thau” opinion in all of her guests. She never let people get her opinion out and always thought that she was right. She never listened to anyone. Good riddance.

5. Sean says

I can’t believe my gurl’s show is off the air! Tyra let me just say… you are an inspiration to me, and i just love you to pieces! I actually had an idea for a topic on the show before the show was canceled. I wanted to touch on black gay men and the D.L. lifestyle and get to the real! Because yes true enough there has been talk about the gay lifestyle on some shows, but yet way too much sugar coating! And it’s definately something that i’ve had too and still deal with to this day… Not too mentioned black mens homophobia! Wish i would’ve had an oppurtunity to share that idea with you, and i love you and miss you! And i hope you come back with another show?

6. JAK says

Why would she cancel her show after just 5 years if it was doing so well?? it was obviously cancelled & I wonder why she even bothered to start a talk show when she wasn’t even trained in journalism, she is a terrible host. I guess she started ageing and need another means of income after modelling.

7. James says

Tyra Banks seems like the sort of person who would never admit that anything of hers got cancelled, and I dont think she would do it herself. Americas Next Top Model has been flagging for a LONG time, and she hasnt quit that yet. She always seems to desperate to make out that shes this really smart woman, she’d never let anyone know her show was cancelled. I dont know what happened, but all this speculative evidence points to ‘someone else’.

8. ANONYMOUS says

CAN YOU SAY BORING,BORING,BORING,TRIED TO SUPPORT A SISTA BUT COULDN’T. NO REALLY GOOD TOPICS AND TYRA WASN’T HER SELF TO

9. william harmon says

It is sad to hear about tyra`s show being canceled. I have six girls ages range from 10 to 19 and they all love her show along with america`s next top model. The show mainly focused on young ladies issue and problems they face in every day life. Tyra is very talented and gifted i know she will continue on in movies, other tv shows so I am looking forward to that, but still I hate to see her show go. Tyra is the younger Oprah so I know she will be around for a long time to come. i wish her well.

10. Anonymous says

I am actually very VERY VERY happy about this show being cancelled… this show is a waste! I hate the issues broaght up in this show… nothing of importance in this world… just fluff! lots and lots of fluff… so sad to think this is what our society likes to view it self as…

• Anonymous says

I agree the Tyra show was a backward step for our society. That’s why our country is going down the drain . While people should be getting informed about how our political and economic system is choking the life out of us
      We have morons watching and defending this type of garbage. Well keep watching airheads you deserve what’s coming to you.

11. Victoria says

Hey Tyra, I just want to say myself and millions and millions of people are going to miss your show. I know you have many great plans in the future. I wish the best of luck to you.

~ Love Victoria (Tyra fan forever)

12. Travis says

i enjoyed the show until this past year. the psychic twins were my favorite guests ever!!
    hope they get their own show. the twins rock.

13. Brooke says

OMG!!! I Love the Tyra show! PLEASE don’t leave us…. PLEASE!!! I am inspired by your show.. I am sure other girls are inspired too! Tyra is my idol. She is SO sweet, smart, and nice! I think im gonna cry. :( WHY DO YOU HAVE TO LEAVE US!!! Either way…. you are still leaving us…. Don’t leave us!! I keep seeing all these other series premieres commercials probably replacing the tyra show!!! :(