ThunderCats: First Look at New Cartoon Network Series

IMAGELast June, it was announced that Warner Bros. was producing a new ThunderCats animated series for Cartoon Network. Based on the classic 1980s TV show, Lion-O, Tygra, and the rest are expected to roar back onto the small screen sometime this year.

Warner Bros. Animation’s Sam Register said, “In addition to being Warner Bros. Animation’s first anime series, ThunderCats marks our most ambitious foray yet into fantasy. The realism and dynamic visual style we’ve achieved are sure to thrill viewers, and the cool weapons, vehicles and technology should help the show appeal to a diverse audience.”

The storyline of the new series was explained this way: “A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne — and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost — takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.”

Todd Casey, a writer on the new ThunderCats series tweeted the first image of some of the main characters; Lion-O, Cheetara, Tygra, and Panthro. There’s no word if other characters, like WilyKit and WilyKat, will be part of the reboot. Voice actor Matthew Mercer announced last year that he would be the new voice of Tygra.

The new ThunderCats is a collaboration between Warner Bros. Animation and Studio4C of Japan.

What do you think? Do you like the new look? Will you give it a try?

Thundercats

Leo Lady September 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I have been waiting on this for a long time and I love the old ThunderCats and I love what Warner Bro. has done with the New ThunderCats. Please age has nothing to do with it if you really enjoy something you just enjoy it. I will be watching and if you have anything to do with The Last Air Bender animation please start his next chapter and let’s see where they are after the peace was made I know there is some evil that the gang will have to deal with. I will be looking for that as well. However, for now I will enjoy my ThunderCats. OH and did I mention for Negative wishers that I am 55 that years-old.

THRobinson August 2, 2011 at 6:02 am

Well, we can comment now since it’s been released… and it’s not bad, but, it’s not Thundercats. The only thing that remained the same were the names of characters basically… at which point… why bother, just using the name because of the pre-existing marketing and fan base.

Jenn77 June 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm

This comment goes to the people that are saying its horrible w/o really giving it a chance…Its not supposed to be like the original that is the whole purpose of a new spin on a old cartoon..They are trying to make it interesting for the younger viewers of today and yes it does look like the art was done by the same people that did pokemon but guess what kids are watching..Pokemon avatar ect. (alot of anime) this is for them, not us that grew up with the original..Remember that before you go all negative..I think it looks interesting..I will always love the original and will love it more than the reboot, but I am not going to judge this until I have seen it.If they keep the story line good then I think it will do fine..they have the guy that did the voice of lion-o only in the older thunder cat(not sure about the name) it was nice to hear him.

Zelle April 25, 2011 at 10:58 am

Ugh . . . they’re ruining a class. Anime style? Really? Don’t we have enough of those? I would have watched this if it was NOT anime, but they lost me right there.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 at 10:57 am

They’re ruining a classic . . . ugh, anime style? Don’t we have enough of those?

I certainly hope it does not follow anime format as well!

Anonymous May 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm

the original was actually drawn by a japanese studio it just followed an american storyline so i hope they do that here too but i do feel that this is aimed at today’s kids and anime is the new thing but as a fan of the original ill give it a shot and am excited for it i just hope it doesn’t drop the ball

hector April 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm

kalz April 5, 2011 at 2:00 am

Its a cartoon made for kids first and geeky adults second,get off your high horse and let the kids today just enjoy this in a way we had our chance to back id the day,get with the times you evolve or you stagnate and die.

Doc_Pain75 March 31, 2011 at 9:11 am

I think it is about time to bring it back. Me and my kids are looking forward to it.

peter March 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

think it looks real awesome i mean its a new generation guess its time for a new look and its not bad not bad at all

Antagonist42 March 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Nah … looks like it’s been drawn for 5 year olds, I was glued to this as a kid but this looks like it’s been Pokemon’d .. it looks too glossy to be a cartoon and not enough to get past the cartoon look of Star Wars The Clone Wars, it’s one of those things that if you change it like this you’ll lose your original fan base because it’s not being true to doing it over, it’s a half-way job, i’d renew all the artwork or go GCI but not try and do both as they tend to fall short of expectations.

PNDK March 20, 2011 at 5:49 am

Actually Lion-O was young but when he and the rest of the crew had to enter the suspention capsules they aged a little, Jaga didn’t enter the capsule because he was piloting the spaceship and it was how he died.
So following the original Thundercats i think that Lion-O will start young on the pilot and get older by the second episode :)

Lonnie Williams March 16, 2011 at 6:24 am

No, the new look, is kind of like the power puff girls meet dexter labortory. Stop the Madness, I like cartoons, but when you draw Lion-O and cheetara like little kids and Panthro- O and Tygra like old men somethings wrong. In the Oringinal they were drawn in 3D and adults or Nobels were training Lord Lion-o to lead the thundercats, but they were adults and so was Lion-O. Please don’t ruin the Thundercats franchise with cheesy drawing to appeal to a younger audience; because, there are alot of young people who have seen the oringinal series, and might not like the cheesy drawing to appeal to a younger audience.

DC March 13, 2011 at 3:45 am

i emailed warner bros and the person that returned my email said it will air sometime this year

Haduke March 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

My question is… WHEN DOES IT START?!?!? I have been following this story for a while now and there is no indication ANYWHERE of when this new series is supposed to launch!

admin March 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

@Haduke: That’s because it hasn’t been announced yet.

Michael Liles February 24, 2011 at 8:00 am

Ok they look cool,but im not feel’n the teen thing going on. Cheetara and Lion’O. It will give the two of them a chance to have teen issues and Wily Kit and Kat should appear later in the series. They should be older. I dont see the Lions symbol in the uniforms! Is that something that will appear after Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats Hoooo!!! ? I just hope this doesnt go the way of the last He-Man cartoon remake. U might loose some of us older viewers if its to kiddy!