ThunderCats: Has the New TV Series Been Cancelled?

New ThunderCats canceled on Cartoon Network?Though there hasn’t been any official word, it looks like the new ThunderCats animated series has been cancelled.

A reboot of the 1980s ThunderCats TV show, the new series debuted on Cartoon Network last July with the first of 26 installments. The season was broken up into two parts and the finale aired this past Saturday. There’s been no word of plans for a second season.

What’s more, Cartoon Network announced their plans for the 2012-13 season and ThunderCats was noticeably absent from their list of returning series.

Matthew Mercer is the voice actor for Tygra. His girlfriend is actress Mirisha Ray and she believes that the show has been cancelled so she’s started a website to rally support.

While ThunderCats hasn’t been officially cancelled yet, the signs certainly don’t look positive. When/if we hear something definitive, we’ll be sure to let you know.

What do you think? Has ThunderCats been cancelled or will the show return for a second season? If it has ended, will you miss the series?

Tlsonic July 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yeah, I would miss ThunderCats TV show.

lucas July 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I feel greatly missed, many many many many missing.

It has been cancelled, Bandi are furious June 27, 2012 at 4:50 am

Tcats has been cancelled despite good sales of merchandise in Eruope

lucas July 4, 2012 at 4:58 pm

actually been canceled?

Craig June 24, 2012 at 12:36 am

Everyone on here have made some very good points. I would be disappointed if the new Thundercats series was cancelled. I really got into it from day one. Watched all the episodes and I really liked it. So I hope they come back for a second season.

Dude June 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I think the problem lies with the there being 12 minutes of actual content with 18 minutes of commercials. The last 10 minutes of the time slot is nothing but commercials.

KaijuCeaser June 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Growing up with Thundercats in the 80’s, I was so excited when the Thundercats reboot first aired. And then, as the episodes progressed, my excitment turned to worry then disappointment.

I find that the threat of cancellation looming over Thundercats has very little to do with corporate boardrooms and more to do with an overall lack of quality. Sure, the VA’s do a fantastic job and the animation is great (big shout of thanks to Studio 4C for their work) but great VA’s and animation does not a success make.

Thundercats lacked many key elements to really push it ahead to make it succeed in an industry that seems to be in decline since the popularity boom of the home gaming console and at times, it seemed as if the Crew working on this reboot just had no clue what they were doing.

In no particular order, some of the issues that have troubled the show since the get-go are:

1. Fairness to fans.
As many fans watched the episodes progress, they noticed that the crew was showing bias to certain groups of fans and not fans as a whole. Choices and decesions were made that left fans upset and frustrated, feeling like they’d been lied to and cheated. One of the biggest examples of lack of fairness to fans was including a romance where none needed to be. This is Thundercats, not Twilight. But, since romance was done, the pairings should not have mirrored what was already done in the comic series. To be fair to fans, different pairings should have been established.

2. Character development…or lack thereof.
It took 17 episodes to get a backstory on Tygra. It took 18 episodes to get backstory on the Kittens. Panthro’s has been sporadic at best (by the way, what happened to Panthro’s tail shown in episode 5 I believe it was? never got any backstory as to what happened to it) and those stretchy arms…..UGH. Cheetara……still waiting. All we know about Cheetara is that she was an orphan who wanted to be a cleric, that she became a cleric not on her own like she promised she would but by relying on a young tiger who had just tried to kill his younger brother, and that since being paired with Tygra, her role in the group has been reduced from main female character to Tygra’s bobble-headed cheerleader and armcandy. I mean seriously, outside of the 15 seconds it took to break the crystal in Curse of Ratilla, has Cheetara done ANYTHING along the lines of being a cleric since episode 13? Nope. Then there is Lion-O.. or as the this series has made him known “Tygra’s bootheel.” The OS Thundercats series centered on Lion-O – he was the core of the group. This reboot seems dedicated to showing the fans that Tygra’s line in the pilot about Lion-O being second best to him in everything but the Sword and Crown was 100% true. After 26 episodes, the young King still can barely swing a sword yet Tygra – without any training at all – can fly any aircraft simply because his ancestors were pilots…..

3. Crew comments.
Hearing Thundercats crew members saying Cheetara was nothing but an “anorexic ho with arthritis and a boob job” discouraged a lot of fans. Hearing Mike Jelenic say he loves to upset fans discouraged many more. Reading Dan Norton’s psychotic and disgusting rants directed at critical fans of the show on Facebook and deviantArt certainly put off a lot of fans as well.

4. “Misdirection” “misinterpretation,” and “misleading” the fans.
Ties in with fan fairness. I can’t think of any cartoon series over the last thirty years that needed to use “misdirection,” “misinterpretation,” and “misleading” as much as this reboot did. According to facebook posts from Dan Norton, misleading the fans was a big part of the show. Seriously, admitting that you enjoy misleading children (since they are the main audience) and that you purposely intend to mislead children is just wrong on so many levels.The OS certainly never needed to use such tactics…

5. Poorly written episodes that just felt rushed and thrown together last minute.
Filler episode after filler episode that had little to nothing to do with the main storyline just about made up episodes 14-26. Thundercats forgot their powers all the *bleeping* time. A poorly done flashback established a rushed pairing that ended up turning away numerous fans. A flower shown in a poorly done flashback being the reason behind a rushed pairing turned away even more fans. Mumm-Ra is supposed to be all powerful in his pyramid but one hit from the Sword of Omens sends him running. A mountain is caving in around Tygra and Cheetara but they don’t even get a speck of dust on them thanks to ‘the power of love” while Lion-O, Panthro, and Pumyra get tossed like a salad amidst debris. Episode 25&26 being nothing more than episodes 12&13 redone, rehashed, and repackaged (I mean c’mon every single element from 12&13 were there, just assigned to different characters and scenes)

6. Using Wildstorm comics for source material and reference when the crew stated that wouldn’t be the case.
T/C pairing right out of comics. The flashback establishing T/C is right out of the comic with how WilyKit meets her boyfriend who – like Tygra – is a member of the guard at the time. Pumyra’s first reaction to Lion-O right out of comics with Cheetara’s reaction to Lion-O. Doberlord and Dobo. Ponzi’s cure-all and Mumm-Ra’s potion of Youth from the comics. Rattaro’s mines and the comics slave mines/prisons. Mutant occupation. Grune and Panthro fighting is similar to Grune and Lion-O fighting in comics. I could go on with this but I think the point’s been made.

7. Pure unoriginality.
Tansformer Tygra, Master Chief outfit on Tygra, Teeney Weeny outfit on Ponzi, PokeMothra, Digimon Godzilla, FF7 Cloud outfit on Lion-O, fishy Captain Ahab, reptillian Moby Dick, raccoon Artful Dodger, Skeksis Vultureman, and so on and so on and so on.

8. Lack of ratings.
Based on the released numbers, I have to disagree with Marisha Ray that the Saturday jump caused the ratings to soar. Omens scored a 2.4 which is really great but then the ratings started their fluctuated decline. Since the jump to Saturday, the ratings have been pretty stagnant holding at around 1.4.
It’s a tad funny when one looks at the ratings and see that episodes 4 and 6 have some of the highest ratings with a 1.8 and 1.6 respectively and episodes 12, 13, and 14 have actually scored some of the lowest ratings of the entire series. (shippers will understand the significance with these episodes)

9. No clear demographic/content not fit to demographic.
At times the show seemed to target the 6-11 year-old demographic and other times, it seemed to aim for the older crowds. Many of the messages and such of the show certainly seem inappropriate for viwers ages 6-11. Case in point, the message of “Nice guys finish last” is shown time and time again when Lion-O get’s done wrong. Another example is the message sent to young boys that giving a girl a gift at a young age somewhow entitles you to that girl when you are older. The racism and bigotry shown by Tygra throughout the series is also higly questionable.

10. Lack of promotion. I agree with Marisha Ray on this. Cartoon Network could have advertised the series better. Comercials and such really couldn’t have hurt.

By the time episode 26 finished, it was clear that the entire show could serve as an example of everything NOT to do in a cartoon series, reboot or otherwise. If Thundercats does get another season, I hope it comes with an entire new staff of writers, producers, and directors and the show gets a complete and total overhaul. If it gets cancelled, well, it wouldn’t come as any surprise.

Vryus June 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

I grew up on this stuff in the 80s. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the original ThunderCats/SilverHawks style stuff. I didn’t plan on watching this show but ended up watching one of the first episodes anyway. I really liked it. I agree the writing was a little uneven at times, but they fleshed out the characters and took out some of cheesier things that were in the original 80s series. When the writing was good, it was really enjoyable. I even felt they did a good job tying the anthropomorphic animal world together in a way that made at least some cursory sense.

I wish they didn’t / hope they don’t cancel this show. It’s been making my lazy Saturday mornings fun along with the DC Nation shows. Plus, I want the story to go on!

I’m not sure what Cartoon Network’s demographic is. I’m in my mid-to-late 30s and find a lot of enjoyment in (part of) their Adult Swim lineup and I was thrilled Toonami came back for some variety. I’ll just cross my fingers and hope that they cancel Level Up and invest more in ThunderCats.

Nathan J. June 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I was a huge fan of the original when it was brand-new on TV in 1985-1987 or thereabouts, so I didn’t want to like this, but I watched it because it was there and it grew on me a bit. There are a lot of cringe-worthy moments and it didn’t grow with its original audience, but rather, tried to strike a balance between them, and their kids. I felt weird watching it with my wife late at night (we DVR’d it) but it was still enjoyable.

I wouldn’t really mind if they cancelled it — they gave us 26 solid episodes. That’s 2 seasons’ worth in normal TV, and episodes 13 and 14, which aired several months apart (leading to cancellation rumors then as well), felt like a season finale and second-season opener. The story was left unfinished, so it would be a shame if they didn’t get to finish telling their story. I’ve read the team’s Tumblr blog, and for the most part they seemed passionate about the series. (For the rest, they annoyed me, not knowing about things people asked about from the original series, but maybe it’s good they didn’t watch it or much of it.)

Ironically, as a (an aspiring) writer, I’ve thought about changes I would make to it, if I wrote it (as a novel) and I was pleasantly surprised to see some of my ideas make it into the show in various forms. Great minds and all that. (Not saying they copied anything, I never published any ideas, or really even told anybody… some of them must be logical extensions of the original show. Like one was the power stones. Considering the finale of the ’80s series taking on an environmentalist type stance, I was thinking the power stones should represent the four elements, with the Cats (and their enemies) using about an even mixture of tech, martial arts, and magic. Tech stone? What is that even about? LOL.)

ND Mitchell June 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Don’t forget to add the Thundercats Ho! movie, too.

ND Mitchell June 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think the Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang should air both versions (80’s and newest versions)every Saturday morning until school returns in late August/September.

Grandizer June 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Pretty good for a reboot, was not so crazy about the “love” stories… I will always remember that Cheetara was MUCH older then Lion-o and hence he would never had had feelings for her.

But if they do not continue the series, what a way to leave the fanbase hanging.

Trevor June 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

To be honest, I think the real issues is that when it comes to a reboot of a series. Most people expect the remake to follow in the path of the original seeing as that is the point of a remake but when it comes to the media remakes in general are usually never on the mark of the original and often end up being poor or sub-par in quality. I don’t feel that was the case for this particular show as it stands on it’s own two feet rather nicely, it doesn’t follow the feel of the original but that’s fine to be honest.

The story is nice and the animation style is rather elegant, I would be surprised if they cancelled it but then again if networks have the audacity to cancel something with great content like Unforgettable then I suppose anything is in the air right?

Daniel June 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

At least Will Frieldle had a job. This reboot sucks! Bring back the original show from the 80’s! Also, bring back REBOOT!

Tha Critic June 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I never watched it because I was against them remaking ThunderCats to begin with, so I don’t know if it’s any good. But if they did cancel it, then they should air the original like they used to.

Kat June 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

I love this show and I’ll definitely miss it! Cheetara is the best! The writing’s been a bit uneven, but that would be solved by having one person at the top make sure the characterizations are spot on every time.

I personally think they’d be fools to cancel it, as it was initially the only thing I watched on Cartoon Network (granted, I’m in my 20s, so I’m not their target demographic), but has caused me to stick around for Green Lantern, Young Justice (which I now watch regularly thanks to ThunderCats), and Mad Magazine (which is much more relevant and funny than any kids’ show deserves to be). I’ve even caught bits of Ben 10 and Level Up (which do nothing for me, but again, not their target demo).

ThunderCats, even in its weak episodes, is worlds better than most of Cartoon Network’s programming (if the copious commercials for their other shows is any indication).

I think the fact that we didn’t see it advertised for a return just means that they haven’t decided when in 2013 they’re going to bring it back, but the fact that they didn’t take the opportunity to advertise the upcoming ThunderCats Nintendo DS game during the season finale (it’s due out in August, instead they advertised some Pokemon DS game) might be a subtle indicator that they’re scrapping all plans for the show.

archer9234 June 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

You can’t advertise products from the show you’re watching. There’s a law in the US that blocks this. IE: Pokemon games can’t be advertised during Pokemon. Etc.