ThunderCats: Has the New TV Series Been Cancelled?

New ThunderCats canceled on Cartoon Network?Though there hasn’t been any official word, it looks like the new ThunderCats animated series has been cancelled.

A reboot of the 1980s ThunderCats TV show, the new series debuted on Cartoon Network last July with the first of 26 installments. The season was broken up into two parts and the finale aired this past Saturday. There’s been no word of plans for a second season.

What’s more, Cartoon Network announced their plans for the 2012-13 season and ThunderCats was noticeably absent from their list of returning series.

Matthew Mercer is the voice actor for Tygra. His girlfriend is actress Mirisha Ray and she believes that the show has been cancelled so she’s started a website to rally support.

While ThunderCats hasn’t been officially cancelled yet, the signs certainly don’t look positive. When/if we hear something definitive, we’ll be sure to let you know.

What do you think? Has ThunderCats been cancelled or will the show return for a second season? If it has ended, will you miss the series?

Brian White December 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm

They better not cancel the new Thundercats. I am really a huge fan of that show. We need more Thudercats (2011) episodes, and seasons.

Bex December 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I grew up watching the original thundercats and loved it. when i stumbled across this new series i was delighted. I think the new series is even better and i had hoped it would be continued for quite some time. i am super unhappy that they have cancelled it already without really giving it a proper chance. best new cartoon!!

Amyra December 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love both new and old no matter how hard they try to take away my Most favorite Show ever I will fight for it. I LOVE THUNDERCATS! Cartoon network you better bring it back don’t tell me you want to thousands ofangry kids yelling at you. So you messed up but who cares make more than just a season make seasons of it like in 1980s but don’t open to the comic books. Please bring it back millions of people love this show so give it to them. No more unfinished series, fight on Cartoon Network to Save Thundercats.

Kevin December 13, 2012 at 2:49 am

If the could keep that crappy show annoying orange on they could put on tcats I mean seriously why is all the good show disappearing out the blue and being replaced with crap all the time I dnt get what wrong with cartoon network sometimes

Freddy December 13, 2012 at 1:29 am

I grew up watching the Thundercats and as a matter of fact I don’t even like this new series from Cartoon Network, I rather to watch the 1980’s one, so I don’t give a dime if they cancel it or not, I watched it once and was totally disappointed.

Martello December 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I think that they should bring it back… How is it they can carry ninja turtles for so long and thundercats are gonna cut short? There is a fan base for thundercats so keep going on it and get rid of those other shows and make no sense.

Lotor Sincline November 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Bring the Thundercats series back!!! It’s a mistake to cancel it. Cancel anything except the Thundercats! I’m not even watching Cartoon Network anymore until they bring the cat back into action. Nuff said…

Ricardo November 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I grew up watching the old Thundercats and Silverhawks series and I love them, but as I saw them recently again after so many years, I realized they are so repetitive!
This new Thundercats series on the contrary, it has a line story and Characters are much more like a real Human Person, they are humanized: the feel, they want, the envy, they make and repeat Mistakes, etc. The Series itself is more realistic: There is Life, there is Death, Tragedy, there is love and love-relationships. The Villains are not funny and clumsy like in the old series, they don’t look defenseless but enormous, dangerous, scary and remorseless.
And the best of all: Snarf isn’t an ugly, fat Beast who talks bullshit all the time but a cute and funny real Pet!
Like all of us, I really don’t now if they are going to cancel the series but I really think it would be a great Mistake if they do! There is so much Story left to show!

Nicole November 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m not as fond of this reboot as I am of the original series, but I still hope there will be at least a few more episodes to finish off the series – we cannot have another cliffhanging show after all!

Jereleel November 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

MAN!! They better bring I back. My whole enjoyed it. It had a balanced mix of drama, intrigue, and comedy that al my kids and I absolutely enjoyed.

The fact that the series isn’t listed in Cartoon Network’s “Not Returning List” is a reason t hope for it’s return.

Best of luck for Thundercats.

Jereleel

Hina November 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

While I agree that there were too many fillers and the characters themselves and the whole story line weren’t developed, the whole series gave a fresh breath of air to cartoons in general, particular to Thundercats. I mean this reboot reminded me of how much I adored the old series and I even bought the old series and I’m fixing to buy what they have this one now.

My thoughts on the whole cancellation or hiatus is that it’s on hiatus, waiting for the cast and crew to come and work on it. Maybe they’re working on season two by taking their time in developing the story and getting their thoughts together so that everything won’t be poorly developed and the characters won’t seem overly flawed or too perfect.

I’ve been waiting forever to see if they’ll remake the Lunataks. ^_^ And they can’t really cancel the show, not without a proper ending to say the least because there is one more Stone to for the Thundercats to find and we don’t exactly know Cheetara’s past (except that she was taken in by the clerics around her preteen years), but I think that the big question on the minds of the fans is: Will Pumyra be free of Mumm-Ra’s control in the end and what of Bengali and Lynx-O?

I love this series and I hope they pick this series back up soon because a lot of fans are probably watching the toonami runs of it now and are itching for more action.

Larry Evans October 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Love this show and young justice .this is the only reason why I watch Cartoon Network .great art work ,storie telling ,messages in each storie .we need to fight for shows like this because when I was growing up all the shows I watch where just great and these two shows remind me of that .so for them to take that away from this generation is a shame

DavidMexiko October 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

I would like to see this New Thundercats´series come back.

I agree with the comments that say that it had continuity problems, nevertheless it had great episodes. I do believe that all the different writers of the series must have some serious meetings on how to go on with the story and not to make the same mistakes again (I won´t detail on that because I think that enough guys have commented them already).

But I do believe that:

1) Song of the Petalars, Legacy and Survival of the fittest were extremely good stories. From my point of view, the whole series are worth-seeing even just for those three episodes.

2)I guess that the only serious problem of this first season of 26 episodes is that some chapters such as Lion-O ´s trials should have happened at the beginning and some as the one of the drifter should have happened almost at the end because they don´t make much sense at the point of the story that they were placed.

3) Ok, a lot of fans including me are angry about “Cheetara´s lack of consistence” but, hey, I think that gives realism to the series too, some people act that way and making some of the main characters so far from perfect is also interesting. Besides, is there a guy out there who can´t say that has never been teased by a woman apparently in-loved or infatuated with him but that was really interested in someone else? ? ? ? I guess not.

I agree with the other fans that the series had a lot of mistakes, nevertheless I think it has more “Plus” than “Minus”. I think it should be continued…

Thanks for reading
Thundercats fans……HoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Your fellow TV-viewer:

Ingeniero David Israel Rodríguez Zárate.
Mexico

Dave October 16, 2012 at 6:18 am

I do believe it is cancelled and rightly so. Tagging it as on hiatus is just a way for the network to avoid an outcry of angry fans.

Fact is, Thundercats 2011 failed on too many fronts.

The storyline was just not there and when it was, it got muddled up and left in the background.
Too many filler episodes were aired as well.

Character development was a nightmare.
Consider Lion-O; he forgot lessons as quickly as he learned them. All the lessons learned by the Drifter were forgotten the very next episode. The guy just couldn’t catch a break but then again, it was obvious the staff favored Tygra and wanted to make him the star of the series.

Cheetara was just depressing. She was changed from a strong female character to a cheerleader for Tygra. The crew ever stripped her of her role as a Cleric to pair her with the tiger. I’m not surprised so many fans left after episode 13 and never looked back.

One of the big draws that made not only the 80’s Thundercats but Silverhawks, Tigersharks, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, He-Man, She-Ra, G.I. Joe, et all such successes was that they gave viewers hope as well as an escape. They gave role models. The new series did not. They could watch the 80’s shows and be inspired. Not at all like the 2011 series.

I lost count of how many different medias the crew ripped off as well. Too much Star Wars, Neverending Story, Dark Crystal, Moby Dick and such and not enough bleeping Thundercats.

All in all, the 2011 series struck me as akin to the DC comics; a bad attempt at fanfiction.

And for those who wonder why series like Adventure Time and Regular Show do well? It’s easy; they give their target audience what they want.

Margui February 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm

They change the name of the villains like Jackalman and Monkian and made Pumayra evil, instead of what she is, a Thundercat. Bengali is not even mentioned. When Lion-O called the other Thundercats their eyes and insignias shone, doesn’t happen in this version. The thunder kittens are nobles, not street orphans with tails. But the animation was excellent.

daniel October 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

bring back thundercats nuff said……