True Detective: Cancel or Renew for Season Two?

True Detective: cancel or season two?True Detective: cancel or season two?Last night, HBO aired the season finale of True Detective. Will it end up being the series finale as well or will it be renewed for a second season?

On the first season of True Detective, viewers followed a pair of former Louisiana State Police Detectives (Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) who are brought in as part of an inquiry about a homicide case that they worked on in 1995. The cast also includes Michelle Monaghan, Kevin Dunn, Michael Potts, and Tory Kittles.

The series debuted in January to 2.33 million viewers in initial viewing. That was a positive sampling but viewership dipped nearly 30% in week two, to 1.67 million. Not a good sign. Would they keep falling?

In week three, viewership rose 16% to 1.93 million and the numbers have been rising each subsequent week. Last Sunday’s edition drew 2.34 million, slightly surpassing the premiere.

Because they’re not serving advertisers, HBO doesn’t make decisions based on ratings. Frankly, they’re interested in the perception that they’re providing quality content that TV viewers can’t find anywhere else. Girls, for example, has very low ratings but is critically acclaimed and that’s been enough to see it renewed for four seasons.

True Detective has been bringing in positive numbers for HBO as well as a lot of attention. There’s no doubt that it will be renewed for a second season.

Because its an anthology series, it’s unclear if any cast members would return. I suspect HBO may be holding off making an announcement until they have some casting and story details to include.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see True Detective return for a second season? Were you satisfied with the first season? Should any of the first season cast return or should they start from scratch?

Cathy September 19, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I think it should come back! It’s really a great show…………

Graziella giambalvo July 29, 2014 at 7:19 pm

The BEST series in years. Have to bring back with original cast, or I will drop HBO

anonymous April 6, 2014 at 11:29 pm

True detectives was the best show to come to HBO in along time. Was almost most going to drop it (HBO). It would have to be the original cast of course. If they don’t bring it back my husband and I will probably follow through with dropping the channel.

Anonymous March 16, 2014 at 9:11 pm

My husband and I looked forward to this show every Sunday! I hope it comes back best show we have watched in years

CH March 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I’m addicted! Yes, please renew this awesome show! Matthew and Woody have great on screen chemistry together.

Dorothy March 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I LOVE THIS SERIES AND PLEASE TELL ME IT WILL BE BACK AGAIN . I SO LOOK FORWARD TO THE MYSTERY OF IT WAS SO GOOD TO SAVE TIME FOR THIS ON SUNDAY NIGHTS.

Amy March 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I think a second season would only work if Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson come back. Otherwise let it end here on a good note.

TJF March 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Riveting is definitely the right word for this show ! I watched from week one and looked forward to every episode. It was, to me, one of the most well done shows ever on TV. McConaughhey and Harrelson were unparalelled in this and together had a magic seldom seen on TV. I know this is probably too much to hope for, but I wish THEY would be in the next season’s production, no matter what the next story will be about. With them and your current writers, you will have a series that could be up there with Breaking Bad.

The pace in the beginning, which I found fascinating, was a little more character study and development, so that might account for the second week to drop in viewers, for those looking just for a typical action show. In my opinion, it never stopped being fascinating for a second. The sets, scenes, acting, writing, psychology, environment, everything was EXCELLENT and truly Oscar worthy ( not just Emmy worthy )

I LOVED it and hated to see it end, although the last episode was so scary I could hardly watch it and I am a veteran TV watcher of scary things ! :)

Rik March 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Best show on Tv since Breaking Bad and even more stylized. I would love to see it come back in a way, but this story is clearly done. If the same characters came back it would ruin the amazing story arc of season 1, seems done to me.

Dixie I March 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Watched every moment and was riveted!

Jan March 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

I think, this is the best Tv-Serie in years. From serie 1 to the last one it was breathtaking.

ludi66 March 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

I loved this series and hope that there is another season. True Detective was unique!