Ugly Betty: ABC Show Cancelled, No Season Five

Ugly Betty cancelledAfter four years on the air, ABC has decided to pull the plug on Ugly Betty. There won’t be a fifth season but will longtime fans get a true series finale?

Ugly Betty debuted in 2006 and follows young Betty Suarez (America Ferrera) as she navigates her way through the world of high-fashion, working at the trendy magazine Mode. Others in the cast include Eric Mabius, Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz, Becki Newton, Mark Indelicato, Michael Urie, Vanessa Williams, and Ashley Jensen.

After being a modest hit for its first two seasons, the series’ viewership dropped to an average of eight million viewers and a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demo last year. That would usually put a series “on the bubble” but ABC gave it an early renewal. It was pretty clear that the network wanted to try to keep it going to accumulate more episodes for the syndication package.

Should Ugly Betty have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The network assigned the series to a Friday night timeslot this season, hoping that the loyal fans would follow it there. Not many did. After cancelling Eastwick, they moved Ugly Betty to a better slot, on Wednesday nights. The ratings haven’t been very good there either.

The show’s fate seemed essentially sealed by Ugly Betty’s syndication deal. While episodes of The Mentalist and NCIS: Los Angeles sold for about $2.2 million each in syndication, Ugly Betty episodes have been licensed to the TV Guide Network for “a low six figures.”

TV show supportToday, the network and production team made a joint statement, saying, “We’ve mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty’s final season, and are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion. We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell.”

What do you think? Are you surprised that the show’s been cancelled? What would you like to see happen before Ugly Betty goes off the air?

kelly ann May 15, 2014 at 2:33 am

Awh I’d love to see more ugly betty all the best programs get cancelled. What a bad ending what about Daniel n betty and new London. Should bring out a movie or something for to send it properly

Sarah May 9, 2014 at 9:33 am

I am really disappointed I have bought all Sean’s which are out now and u cancelled I should give it another try and keep it on the channel it was originally on and u may get more people watching I fell in live with the programme and watching ugly better made me feel more confidence and it showed me that no matter what life through at u u don’t just give up. Ugly better made me feel like her when I first started to watch more and more it. Really did touch me and I even cryer at it it made me think of how keep getting treat I will really like u to being back ugly Betty I fell in love with it and now I know how to get passed with all the bullies who bullies me because of ugly Betty I have realise that no matter who bullies u you don’t let them bring u down. Please please bring ugly Betty back I would just like to say thank you ugly Betty for being my hero and for giving me confidence again bring back ugly Betty please

Regina April 16, 2014 at 3:16 am

I’m gonna write a comment everyday until you guys bring back ugly Betty it’s the only things that has kept me going PLEASE BRING IT BACK GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE!!!!!!! EVERY SINGLE FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS I KNOW LOVES UGLY BETTY!!!!! :( I feel like my family died and left me with an words :( I miss Hilda, papi, bobby, JUSTING, Betty, Daniel, Amanda, Marc, Claire,Christina shoot I even miss willy!!!. PLEASE IM BEGGING!!!.

Marie February 12, 2014 at 4:50 am

Only recently ive been watching ugly betty and now so disappointed I dont get to watch this every morning ive not enjoyed anythings like this since friends apart from big bang theory once people start watching this its so addictive feels like ive lost friends all over again please give it another chance

stephanie January 22, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I am so disappointed..man ive been so addicted to this show on netflix!!! Its a cliff hanger, NOT FAIR AT ALL!!! why dont u make a series on NETFLIX, THATS AN AWESOME IDEA I THINK!!!!! What do yall think?? I would love to see Daniel and Betty get together slowly!!!

maria April 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm

go on watch series they have ugly betty seson 1 2 3 and 4

roxana guadron January 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I think ugly Betty season 5 should happen beacuse the audience want happen to betty and daniel. We love this please make season 5 for us.

Naya January 5, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Ugly Betty has been the only addictive show I’ve watch back to back on netflix sice it’s off the air and I’m very sad the aren’t having more seasons to be honest I think they need to keep having more a seasons specially because it finally started getting good at the end of season 4 please re think things guys put Betty back please.

Anonymous May 17, 2014 at 1:11 pm

There’s only 2 seasons on my Netflix

Maria January 5, 2014 at 11:18 am

I think ugly betty shouldn’t have never gotten cancelled because Danielle was starting to like betty and it didnt make any sence if you cancel it now I wanted to know if they go out or do they stay friends like i want a season 5 it was getting interesting and I love ugly betty its on my favorites like u cant cancel it now please dont cancel its my favorite tv show.

Taylor Mackey January 4, 2014 at 4:03 am

I think that they shouldn’t cancel Ugly Betty because I love this show and I would love to keep watching it . I think Ugly Betty has inspired me to never give up on anything, it can be hard but I think it’s inspiring . So I think Ugly Betty should stay on the t.v. ,and it is very upsetting to the fans of Ugly Betty they are gonna be sad :( .. will you please let Ugly Betty stay on the show , that would make the fans very happy :) :) .to see that UGLY BETTY is Back on t.v.
Please let the show stay on , think of the huge fans , I one of the biggest fan of UGLY BETTY!!!! Please! !!!!!! :(

Justlovely January 2, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Bring back Ugly Betty Season 5 plus new seasons the show was just getting good I want to know what happens with Betty and Daniel also Hilda and her husband so forth. This was my favorite TV Show and now I come to find out that there is no more. I can not believe it Bring this show back I have been following it on NetFlix. There are a lot of shows on TV now that do not add up to this show. Views continue to vote on this We Want Betty Back in full effect.

Sabrina December 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

OMG I just finally finished season 4 on Netflix and now find out there is no season 5…How are you going to leave it open like that after Daniel came to London for her?!?!?! VERY disappointing!!!

brittany thomason November 28, 2013 at 2:33 am

Bring the show back I miss it so much, it’s the only tv show I’ve actually got addicted to and made me so happy and sad. The show was very inspiring and quite frankly a ton better then 99.9 percent of the television shows out there. I’m very sad to see the show go, I know this is a very late thing to say but they put the show on Netflix and I watched every single episode on the edge of my seat. The show really captivated me, tears were melting from my eyes when i discovered they canceled the show. In my opinion they really should reconsider continuing the show, I just can’t imagine why they shouldn’t it is honestly the best show I have ever seen.

mrspenncil December 4, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I agree with Brittany Thompson. I watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix. To my disappointment, I found no season 5. Bring it back!!!! Or , at least come up with a proper conclusion.

Does Daniel ever put his whorish ways aside and go after the love of his life, Betty? That is a question I would like answered.

Bring Back Betty Suarez!

Marie February 12, 2014 at 4:55 am

Why is it we always discover programmes like this when its to late feel like ive lost a family lol

susethTOMATERA November 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm

its truely upsetting……..can believe betty n daniel just made plans for a date that last episode, and to top it off no more seasons to come. NEWS FLASH a date between them two is what ived been waiting to see, ugly betty was just getting started.BRING BETTY BAAAAAAAAACK n i was pissed at netflix.

brittany thomason November 28, 2013 at 2:35 am

That is exactly what I said.

Anonymous December 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Lol for reals man i miss ugly betty without it feels like theires nothing ealse to watch. Just waitting for them to fix theire heads and continue Betty PORFAVOR

felicia September 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What??? No season 5. Very upsetting. I have been watching it on Netflix and just ended season 4, I want more!! I think it’s a bit ridiculous that they would end Ugly Betty that way. So many viewers want more seasons of Ugly Betty. Please bring it back!

Sarina August 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I love Ugly Betty! ! I have watched episodes here and there, but now that I have netflix me and my whole family are hooked! I am so sad that there isnt a season 5! I love everything about it! Netflix should make an Original Series of it and continue the story!