V: ABC Cancels Sci-Fi TV Series; No Season Three

V season three canceledSadly, the Visitors aren’t among us any longer. After two short seasons, ABC has cancelled their V TV series.

A reimagining of the original V, this series tells the tale of what happens when an advanced alien race arrives of Earth professing their desire to help mankind. Fortunately, not everyone trusts them. The second season features the talents of Charles Mesure, Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans, Joel Gretsch, Laura Vandervoort, Logan Huffman, Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, and Scott Wolf.

For season one, V ended up averaging a 2.25 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 5.7 million average viewers. It was “on the bubble” but ended up being renewed for a 13 episode second season. The network was hoping that the show would catch on and the ratings would improve.

Should V have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC later reduced the episode order to just 10 installments and debuted them mid-season. Unfortunately, ABC’s gamble didn’t pay off. Season two of V ended up averaging only a 1.9 in the demo and 5.49 million viewers.

Though the network and producers maintained that the show was still in contention for next season, it was clear that there would only be a third season of V if ABC was willing to gamble once again. In the end, they weren’t.

ABC confirmed today that V has been cancelled after two seasons and 22 episodes. The series finale aired on March 15th and, unfortunately, there were lots of unresolved cliffhangers. Hopefully the producers will someday share what they had in mind for season three.

What do you think? Are you sad that V won’t be returning next season? Why do you think the series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

Tonybrainy August 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Arrrrgh!!!! You can’t do this to us, this series is still one of the best why can’t you just consider the viewers of this film? The season 3 of this series must be renewed. We can’t just forget about this film like that, you can’t just tell us that you are ending the movie here. We deserve to know what finally happened to the Visitors, Tyler, The Father Jack, Hobbes, Ryan,Lisa and so on, You just have to do something about it cos this suspense is killing me please. Is Ryan going to get back his daughter after Blissing everybody?, Is Lisa going to escape?, Is Hobbes coming back?, Will Tyler wake up?, what’s the fate of Erica Evans, What happened to Chad. All of this we need to know. Please do something about this

Anonymous August 13, 2012 at 11:41 am

They should better find away of continuing that film….

Bren August 13, 2012 at 12:41 am

I can’t understand how you could have such a fantastic show, one that would have truly taken off it you had been patient enough to wait. V was really catching on. It had a good plot, the making of a good science-fiction, if you had continued. Next time (I hope there will be one) Put more ads on TV to allow the people to know when you’re going to air the show. You can’t just choose a Monday and then skip two. Be faithful to your schedule. Plus!!! It was a good show you did not have to add so much skin and sex. When will you Writers/Producers learn, let your writing tell and sell the story. Sex does not have to be your main goal. We just want a good story minus the bedroom. Come On, you guys are great writers, write something our kids can watch too.

kOSMIKO August 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm

This was th first show i actually made it a point to watch. I been waiting for the next installment for so lon. Now I know there willl be no ending. FIVE words: BRING IT BACK YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!! Even if it’s just a two hour television movie.

Nevohc August 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

This is ridiculous, how can you cancel such a great masterpiece? Please bring back the movie, I’m anticipating the end. It’s like you’ve ripped my heart from my body. I’ve been watching a lot of documentaries about Reptilians, imagine how shocked I was to finally see them in a movie. A lot of people here in Jamaica enjoy this movie. This is a worldwide hit, how could you do this to your fans?

Diane August 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

I think that if the networks want people to continue watching series tv shows then when they want to cancel a television show like V or Invasion they should at least tie up loose ends. When they just pull the series its like reading a really good book and the writers didn’t put in the last two chapters. At least give us a TV movie ending to these series shows. I’ve seen some new ones coming for this fall but I am very hesitant in watching them that they will leave me hanging. I am very disappointed with how the exes handle cancellation of TV shows. What a rip off.

Doug August 3, 2012 at 4:39 am

V is a great show. Like other shows, I didn’t watch it week by week, but I downloaded the whole series, and watched it 1 after the other. I do that often, and find that it makes it more enjoyable. Right now I’m watching “Falling Skies”, which is on the same level as V. I realize that in the end, it’s about ratings and millions watched however maybe they need to think of a new system to deterine who is really watching these shows. Do they still do that nielson thing where they give people boxes and monitor them? They should rather put a poll on facebook maybe, asking people to rate shows. This would give them a “snapshot” of viewers and they could break it down even to age and whatnot. Anyways, V kicked ass, and Anna and Erica were both beautiful!

Holly Houston August 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I still want season 3. My 9 yr old son remembers this show and was just questioning me about it today. Too bad you arent bringing it back. I waited all year for season 3. I don’t think I will give ABC another chance with a series. I was also into ‘Invasion’ when it was also cancelled without offering any closure.

JR August 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

The reason the show was canceled is because they kept changing time slots and waited waaay to long to start the new season. I loved the show I watched every episode of the first season…then waited…and waited..and waited…no new season. Then they started a new season and didn’t really advertise it. I wish they didn’t wait so long before seasons and did like they did with Lost and play the previous week along with the new episode. Its one of those shows you have to keep watching or you will not know whats going on. I know many people that were very upset they cancelled the show. It was the new Lost for me and allot of people I know. Shows people who are running that station really aren’t that bright.

Wyclif July 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Whats wrong w/ these people?ABC!f u just dont know!I WANA LET U KNOW!LESS people dsnt like V bt if ul try 2 hear 8 from US!ASIANS LOV UR SHOW TheV & I bet Everybody else does!Dnt MARKET a smal area!MARKET d WORLD!U PUT UP SUBTITLES on some of ur videos that was dwnloadd on sites!UR VIDEO S ON WORLD WIDE!Dnt END V LIKE 8S A BUBBLE THAT POPS!END 8 LIKE A BLOCKBUSTER!PEOPLE R COUNTING! WER UNDER UR BLISS ALREADY!CONDUCT SURVEY!or maybe U lack ANNA’s BLISS?ask some from her!maybe ul realize SOON!!!! but if you lack of people, you need actors? I can be one of them! Bliss me on and lets rock’n’roll! Aiming a rate of 3 or 5 is what companies really wanted. maybe you guys lack of proper airing a commercial, a correct time slot and maybe its time to open your market not just in your within your area. If movies can teach people to gain chances, why not apply it on producing your show? the most important thing here is YOU LISTEN not just 5 out of 10 but u need to listen 10 out of 10 to get a conclusion. what you just did was an act of losing hope to rise and raise up your plans into not a successful one. guys, maybe its time to learn from your movies. don’t just let it teach us but let it teach you guys too… We’re still hoping there will be next season even if it would take a long period of time. We can wait for as long as time is still running. I hope you guys wake up. don’t let negativity ruined the entire NETWORK just because of 1 failure that still exist and you haven’t manage it well. you need to solve it. don’t let people think that you guys are mindless and doesn’t know how to take actions with this. We understand you but we hope that you’ll also listen to us. you’ve earned peoples trust. you just need to have the proper schedule on your TV SERIES.WE know you know how does it works but sometimes, we just believe on what we know but not ALL of the people knows… Soon, you’ll going to understand things that you don’t. what makes you pressured is about the ratings. TRY to forget about the ratings because your show has slowly got peoples attention. its time for the “WORD OF MOUTH” to work… i guess 5.49million viewers can do that if and only if you believe that these people can convince their friends and i bet its not only 5.49M viewers out there, maybe MORE than you guys expected. There’s nothing wrong on listening and trying but there is wrong on NEGLECTING and NOT UNDERSTANDING…

Anon July 24, 2012 at 10:26 am
Natalie July 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

BRING BACK THE SHOW!!!!!! WE DEMAND!!!!!!

Original-V-Fan-1983 July 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Bring back the original Mini Series which is a classic! Hopefully The Original V will be released as movie soon! Forget this reimagining and buy the original DVD especially the first one that creator Kenneth Johnson worked on! The Final Battle was good but didnt have the same substance depth and academic underpinnings! Go back to 1983 and then drill up support for a feature, this ABC series ended because ABC knew it wasn’t of the same class or quality as the original! sorry if that upsets fans of this ABC “Reimagination”

mahfuz July 15, 2012 at 1:39 am

hi,
i cannot belief V is canceled.
very good serial.
may air timeing is the problem. some sex be nice.

l July 24, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Keep sex off tv! Save it for the bedroom and movies,I dont want my kids growing uo seeing smut on TV!

John July 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

People should stop watching and supporting these networks… let them close down completely…. if they dont respect their viewers then they shouldnt be licenced to air at all…. bloody buggers with their high payed netwok wankers of managers…!! But what can one expect when they air can perfect shows like this but keep on the air stupid shows who are filled with gay actors pretending roles of real men (like that crappy faggot show ‘the big bang theory’…. what a waste of money… I mean, could those actors be more obvious??? )
No, forget it… dont ever watch another series unless it ends somehow at least three seasons down the road,.,,, and even then, download its ending episode to see if it ends properly or it wasts your time…!! IDIOTIC NETWORK BOSSES… GO AND DIE YOU FAGGOTS…!!