Boston Legal: David Kelly Ending Series on His Own Terms

Boston LegalIn May, it seemed like Boston Legal creator David E. Kelley had to fight to get his show renewed for 13 final episodes. Now it appears that the decision was a mutual one.

Speaking about Boston Legal’s last minute renewal, ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson recently said, “We really felt like [Boston Legal] didn’t get its due on its way out this year and the opportunity to give it really a final 13, [David] was really excited about it. He committed to writing those, which, for us, was really important because he’s kind of transitioned his life a little bit. So it’s great to have the show back.”

As for the shortened season, McPherson says that was Kelley’s choice. “David felt like he had 13 episodes left in him. He really wanted to end it. He really wanted to do some things with our two core characters. It was really his decision.”

McPherson feels good about being able to set an end date for shows like Lost and Boston Legal, saying, “I really like being able to know when shows are going out… Let’s let these creators who have created unbelievably compelling characters and iconic pieces of television, let’s let them end it with dignity and integrity and, to me, compelling content. And we can market it as such. For us, it’s an advantage. We really appreciate David signing up and getting excited about these final 13. We’re talking about how to really sell them as the kind of final crescendo for what for us has been a terrific series.”

Should this season be Boston Legal's last?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The cast and crew have reportedly finished three episodes thus far with 10 left to go. Brenda Strong, best known as Desperate Housewives’ Mary Alice, is among the guest stars in the final episodes. She’s playing a tough but sexy judge.

Talking about filming the final season, series star William Shatner told the Vancouver Sun, “We’ve had a great time. It’s a great cast, you know. James Spader, Candice Bergen, John Larroquette… they’re not only great actors, but they are themselves wonderful human beings and I’m going to miss them terribly.” He continued, “I’m beginning already to have a sense of nostalgia… not doing a balcony scene every now and then will be bittersweet.”

How things will end for the staff of Crane, Poole and Schmidt is still under wraps but it sounds like the final episodes will be “must see TV” for sure. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

AMOS June 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

i really loved,n stil love the show, as such please tell me there exists a season six because the last one here in kenya is 5.please please.

lillian seldes January 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm

please do not end this show ,just do not !!!!! I live in israel and a lot of english speaking people love it !! I discovered it in 2010 october,and I just can’t get the fill of it / ask mr, kelley not to kill boston legal,he will be remembered specially for his work in this series/ it’s the most !!! I remember watching “mash” year after year ,and this is going to be pulled out just after 5 seasons? not fair for us,the public /plus,I’ve learnt a lot with the closers !! they are wondereful,specially mr Spader. OH !!! He’s something !! and with Mr Shatner …..don’t take them away from us .please

mim July 20, 2010 at 11:34 pm

i like the series but the ending suck they both should buy the company instead…

Laura S June 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Nooooooo plzzzzzz don’t take the show off, this show is the funniest ever, every time I start watchin a show that puts me 2 the floor in laughter and I try not 2 go 2 the bathroom when a commercial comes on just in case it comes back on b 4 I can finish I don’t want 2 miss anything, I have many show’s that makes me laugh but this 1 makes me want 2 use the bathroom on myself, and they r like everyday ppl.

deloris December 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I’m having Boston Legal withdraws. I can’t believe no one tried to fight to keep this show going? What the creator wanted to take the whole show down with him? Couldn’t anyone else take over the writing? Even a spin off would of done well to keep it going. What, do ABC think we are all tiny boopers waiting to watch American Idol all the time. Why don’ t someone get wise and ask the community and see the polls how well this show was loved, and fight to get it back. What a shame… my only hope is that who ever is writing “30 Rock”… that they keep that show going. That show is also great and fun to watch. So all who misses.. Boston Legal.. check “30 Rock” out. Its a little more silly, but great intertainment too.

nick October 25, 2009 at 3:46 am

love the show, too bad it’s over. but it only should be back if they have new topics. cos if you see past the fun and the carisma, the show actually is pretty cerious with rathr harp criticism and that ‘s what i loved most about it. so if they feel they can keep up please bring it back!!. if not i’d rather miss the old stuff than hate the new.. DENNY CRANE . YOU HEARD IT HERE

Ines September 25, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Hey guys, I don’t really live in the USA, I live in Europe, Croatia and our national television aired only the first two seasons of this great show. I fell in love in James Spader’s work at the end of The Practice and later found out about Boston Legal starring also James Spader – little did I know that the show is going to be that awesome.
William Shatner is a legend, and Denny Crane is an unforgettable character.
I bought all five DVD’s and finished watching the last season, and frankly I can’t believe that it’s over….I hope the creators will surprise us with one more show….

Ben Konefal August 28, 2009 at 2:33 am

I don’t know how the process of keeping a TV show running works, how the staff, actors, and company gets paid, but certainly there must have been profit. Did profit decline in season four or five? I don’t see how it could. I watched one show, and was so moved buy its quality, and the fact that lots of Star Trek actors were finding work again, that I down loaded ALL the five seasons IMMEDIATELY. Then, without hesitation began a marathon watching episode after episode straight through only taking a break to sleep. I’m on day four! I’m so disappointed season five is the finale! This has the legs to run as long as MASH which had 11 seasons. You have stopped way too soon. You have created a disillusioned fan. I was enthralled instantly as my marathon proves, and now to read that there is no season six, watching the last of the episodes is bitter sweet. Has creativity stimede? Yall can’t think of anything else to right about? Have the charachters run there course? No new ones to introduce? No Star Trek actors to entice? The writers of MASH were able to stretch the Korean War ELEVEN SEASONS? Surely a Boston law firm has more stories in it. My best friends dad was a defense attorney and I assure you, every day he came home he had stories ranging from clients, judges, opposing councils, and even new law , old laws and politics. Theres a thought, if Mr. Kelly has run out of ideas, pop on down the you local court house and sift through their past cases, or even current events. Make the shows timeline current with ours. You can’t end this so soon, my marathon must continue! I’m disabled, I have nothing else to do, PLEASE HELP ME! I also love how the show pokes fun at itself by letting the audience know that it is a TV show. For example, the season finale or opener episodes where Denny Crane informs Alan Shore that its gonna be a good season. Or when the autistic Jerry told Sherly that there was a song in his head all the time, and when she told him to sing it, IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE SHOW’S THEME SONG! Or when Denny Crane would stumble to find the right words, and Alan Shore would hold up CUE CARDS to help him out! MWUAHAHAHAHA! My Gods thats comedy, and they didn’t make it cheesy, it fit right in without humiliating the show! This show’s longevity must be compared to that of MASH, it has that potential. Look how many Star Trek actors that are looking for work. I haven’t heard of any new Star Trek series in the works, GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO! The current group of actors cannot possibly be happy this show is coming to an end, can they? Are they worried they will be type casted like some of the Star Trek actors did? For example, Patrick Stewart. There is an idea, give Patrick a charachter. I think he would make a fantastic judge. When the writing began for this show, did Mr. Kelly tell himself, “This show will eventually end, and here is how it will”? If so, WHY? If I began writing this, that thought would never enter my mind. Especially after the rave reviews. Surely these people got positive feed back for the superb work they were doing! Why consider the end when you have momentum? Did something stall? WHY? WHY? WHY? I say eleven seasons easy, its the next MASH, but a story of lawyering. There are plenty of stories to be told, just go down to the court house and research! Boldly go where no man has gone before! This news had motivated me to write a page dripping with protest, and that is what I’ve done. I suppose I should wrap this up in the event I’m being redundant, but I think redundancy is called for. Please don’t stop making shows, keep these actors employed, heck give them a raise! My mouse eagerly awaits the chance to download more. I must have more! If this rant doesn’t translate into good ratings, I don’t understand the TV industry. Surely its not that fickle. And don’t tell me you’ve run out of stories to tell. Don’t tell me this show is not making a profit. KEEP GOING!

Sincerly yours,

Ben Konefal, an unhappy customer whom you need to please

P.S. Is the politics of Denny Crane and William Shatner the same? Would those two get along? Hahaha, I’ve always wondered.

P.S.S. KEEP WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michreon July 1, 2009 at 9:56 pm

This is practically the only show that me and my brother’s rushed home to go and watch. We are all in different cities but at the end of the sow we’d discuss how Alan pulled off something great in his closing or Denny did some silly and goofy thing! It was a great mix of humour with intellect, reality with politics and flirting with relationships! It was a great show…I hope David will reconsider! Please! For my sanity’s sake!

KAGOLI June 12, 2009 at 3:01 pm

why the h**l did they stop production on a series which was so sweetly filled with humour in an interlectual way? it made the whole family watch though we are in different cities. If there is a way it can be brought back it would be super.

d.angel May 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm

why are they canceling the show !!!! that show rocks and i really am not satisfide with the way it ended i need more and if it was about ratings i think they would be shocked to know that its a world wide show as i am from kuwait and i am a big fan of this show and i know alot of other people that are big fans as well

jarrad m May 11, 2009 at 7:19 pm

best show on television ive ever watched probably the only show i watch its got everything and its even educational it will be sadly missed to many people

admin May 7, 2009 at 4:58 am

@AnGrY: There were 13 new episodes and they finished airing in December 2008.

AnGrY May 6, 2009 at 8:44 pm

If the last season is #5 , i HOPE ther’s a mistakeeeeee becasuse those episode are repeat!!!!! just 3 are new!!! am i wrong!!???