Day Break: ABC’s Taye Diggs Drama is Gone

cast of Day Break on ABC As you may recall, ABC recently announced that they were reworking their Wednesday night schedule (in preparation for the return of Fox’s American Idol). That left fans of Day Break out in the cold as the Taye Diggs series would be pulled from the schedule after the December 27th episode had aired. There was some hope and speculation that the series would be moved to another night. We now know that’s not going to happen.

The Lost-replacing series Day Break has been pulled from the schedule even earlier than expected. The ratings for Day Break have continued to fall since its debut and the latest was no exception. The sixth episode, entitle “What If They Find Him,” attracted only 3.1 million households. As a result, ABC has yanked the drama effective immediately. Repeats of George Lopez and According to Jim will fill 8-10pm Wednesdays for the next two weeks (both sitcoms begin new seasons in January on Wednesday nights).

Sign the petition!There are seven unaired episodes and, as of now, there are no plans to air them on the network (joining fellow dramas The Nine and Six Degrees). The good news is that ABC has said they will post the remaining episodes online, with a new episode being posted every Thursday for the next seven weeks. They may decide to release the episodes for purchase online via iTunes but I’m guessing that will have a lot to do with viewer demand. TV Series Finale home page

Anonymous November 22, 2007 at 6:28 pm

I watched the first few episodes when it aired and it is still weighing on me…When it got cancelled, I got turned off by TV and avoided it since except for sporting events…

I’ll need to try to find the unaired episodes and

Hart October 14, 2007 at 2:34 pm

I have finished watching the complete season via DVD. Just get the whole story from there!!! It’s all about the money…no appreciation of the ARTS. Maybe even the Board of Directors’ heads HURT just watching it because you need BRAINS to understand the show. They don’t have that and because they have all their arteries clogged with fat-rich foods that restricts blood-flow to their brains…Hehehehe!

Mario Faria September 26, 2007 at 1:01 pm

When the American TV Networks decided to pull the plug for shows like Day Break and post the remaining episodes on-line only for american viewers, folks like me from other countries have no legal option to see them. So we have to go to irregular web sites and download them. It is a shame. Due to this lack of respect for non-USA viewers to watch what is left or even pay to do that, the only path we have available remains those web sites.

Jason September 25, 2007 at 8:31 am

Oh man… I JUST found Daybreak on abc.com and got HOOKED!!! what a fabulous show! I would stay up late LATE watching episodes…

BUT then they just took it off the website! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I guess it’s to put on new shows, but I can’t be left hanging like this! I feel like the rest of you who got hooked while it was on the air… But at least they put it online and you got to see the rest. I didn’t get to see the end – and who knows if they’ll ever put it on again?

Help! Complain to ABC to get this on DVD or iTunes, or the website again…!

Jack September 18, 2007 at 10:18 am

ABC SUCKS FOR PULLING DAYBREAK!!! I FRIGGIN LOVED THAT SHOW AND LOOKED FOWARD TO EVERY WEDNESDAY! ME AND MY BROTHER WAS HOOKED AFTER JUST THE FIRST EPISODE AND COULDNT WAIT TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT WEEK, ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DIDN’T COME ON,so we just thought they put it on a time out or something, HELL NO! those idiots canceled the one show i loyally watched every week, didnt miss one episode!!ABC sucks!!! screw lost and all the fans that were angry enough not to watch an awesome show!!

Mauxe September 16, 2007 at 10:14 pm

First, I feel that this show was one of the best when I started watching. It has a fun premise that makes you think a bit.

I also loved the Nine when it came out… and I was definitely ticked when both were canceled. At least with Day Break the episodes all were put online – small consolation as it just happened to be a show that was filed from beginning to end. The Nine was put online also but once you know there will be no end – why watch?

In response to a comment from earlier regarding the promotion of Day Break, ABC actually seemed to go overboard with commercials. I remember watching Lost and being inundated with Day Break spots. People I know that never even watched the show (but are Lost fans) were even talking about how many commercials were running for it (at the time). I am not sure specifically how the size of an audience is calculated – but it is just ridiculous that so many good shows get pulled so early. NBC did it with the Black Donnelly’s…

I guess more people just want to watch basic, somewhat mindless, programming. That’s what pays the bills though.

AltaGid August 11, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Hello! Help solve the problem.
Very often try to enter the forum, but says that the password is not correct.
Regrettably use of remembering. Give like to be?
Thank you!

Tony June 28, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Man I just watched daybreak online and I couldn’t go to sleep. I actually watched about 10 episodes straight and cannot wait to finish it tonight. What has happened to us. American Idol better than Daybreak? No way. What other show could compare to the acting, writing, or filming of that show. It is awesome. I’m from Houston Tx and I think this decision to pull this show was WORSE than Houston not taking Vince Young or Regie Bush….for all Houstonians that is pretty bad.

Rick June 17, 2007 at 6:25 am

I agree with Andrew H… Daybreak is the same calibur as FireFly. Ironic that both get canceled in their prime. I think what it comes down to is that people don’t want to actually have to THINK when they watch TV. They want mindless entertainment. Daybreak left you guessing until the very end, and even in the finale, there were questions that needed answering. Whats going on with Chad? Who was that guy across the street watching Hopper? Did he ever catch the crooked lawyer? They need to release this on DVD and give us a TON of bonus features that may answer some of our questions.

Andrew H. June 7, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Day Break is perhaps the best show I have seen since FireFly — both of which were canceled. Due to the excellent story line and execution, it was truly a pleasure to watch, if only online. Furthermore, it had enough closure to present a complete narrative over a single seasonal arc – something Lost simply no succeeds at doing. Maybe they will make a movie – like the producers of FireFly.

Damon April 20, 2007 at 2:40 am

Daybreak was a really good show. I was never able to catch it on TV. I watched the first episode and was hooked – but my schedule would not allow me to see it. Then I found it on the internet and was very excited that I could now watch a show that I actually liked. But when I saw the last episode said “Series Finale” my chin dropped to the floor. I know it’s all about ratings, but some of the other shows ABC shows couldn’t be doing much better and they’re still on. Oh well, guess I’ll find another network with a show I like.

Damon Woodard April 20, 2007 at 2:39 am

Jack Yan April 10, 2007 at 3:11 am

This has just started in New Zealand in the same time slot (but different channel) to Life on Mars. It’s a wonderful time-travel cop drama and I was surprised to hear it got pulled there. Looks like we will see all 13 but what is the point of watching it, if we know that the network there pulled it? I’ll still watch because it looks like a damned good show, but what a stupid decision Disney has made over in the US.

joe April 7, 2007 at 2:13 am

abc sucks lost used to be good but now that sucks and daybreak was good and that being pulled and not brought back for anohter season well that sucks too lol it seems like everything abc does sucks and really the only thing that makes me happy when it sucks is my girlfriend so abc u better find a better way to make us happy

Anonymous April 5, 2007 at 6:17 pm

f**k thw corporate america. it’s all about the viewers. why not wait one season and se how many people watch it?