Dirty Jobs: Cancelled by Discovery; No Season Nine

Dirty Jobs canceledDiscovery has cancelled Dirty Jobs after eight seasons on the air. Mike Rowe announced the news today in a HuffPost article.

The show host notes that, without fail, anytime that Dirty Jobs was off the air for a couple months, he’d be asked if the show has been cancelled.

Rowe said, “Over the years it’s been my pleasure to assure anxious fans that Dirty Jobs is coming back for another season. And indeed, we always have. Alas, this year, I’m afraid I cannot dispel the rumors. A few weeks ago, I was officially informed that Dirty Jobs had entered into a new phase. One I like to call, ‘permanent hiatus.’ Or in the more popular industry vernacular, canceled.”

Rowe goes on to thank the folks at Discovery, his crew, and loyal viewers.

Dirty Jobs debuted in 2003 has run for 169 episodes. In the last season, the setting focused on Australia and was advertised as Dirty Jobs Down Under. The most recent installment aired on September 12th.

What do you think? Will you miss the Dirty Jobs TV series? Would you like to see it return some day?

33 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

I loved this show and had a good idea for an episode that I wanted to send in. NOOOOOO

I love me some mike ROOOOOOOOWWWEE

2. Dave says

This is a show that my hole family would sit down and watch. If it was up to us you could no run a dirty jobs marathon every weekend and we would watch ever one of them. I mean you can only take so much of digging holes in the ground for gold and the wanna be drama. The dicovery Chanel is just going down hill.

3. tracy says

Discovery said ratings were down. I find that hard to believe. Whoever has been in chargie of their programming for the past 18 months has been doing a poor job.

4. Eva Arnim says

I really enjoy the show it lets the people in on what it actually takes to run the things others take for granted and how chickens and other animals are actually raised unlike these damn reality shows that only show who does who and how they do it we don’t even watch those family hour my ass.

• Anonymous says

I think Mike supported Mitt. People don’t forget what type of person he truely is.
      Meaning a blue collar tpye of guy he played on the show.

5. says

you all are not Cancelling the show i love to watch this show dirty jobs

and i wont the colony season 1
    and season 2

shows back online i watch the shows and i wont them back online now and takes a theff i havent seen in years i wont it back online and on discovery

• Wen says

Actually, he wrote Romney a letter about how to get people working again. The same letter he had written to Obama in ’08, with the only difference being Romney actually responded to the letter and Obama never did.

• sha boom says

how about all the hollywoodies out there that campaigned for Obama, they were a “clean” bunch ? ha, look at eva long., dirtier than Mike ever got on any of his shows. And if that’s why he got canned along with any other conservative,a boycot of any movies that are put out, sounds like a good idea. Maybe the discrimination and bias would END !!!!! This is a free country with freedom of speech …..so far ! but, guess the liberals want to “rule the day”.

6. says

why would u b canceling his show – when u get a good show on u guys cancel it – mike rowe showed alot of people out here different jobs people do out there and its good for the younger people and kids to see how the work it done – and teach them how the world works together and gets the jobs done – so y would u cancel a show like that – but keep the other shows on that dont teach that- smarten up and look at the whole picture there

7. Arlene Hebden says

To bad this is being cancelled. It was both interesting and funny, as compared to some on that network.
    Keep Mike around, as he is good in what he does.

Arlene

8. barbara kwadecius says

with the cancaltion of “dirty jobs” watching the discovery channel is like eating a pb&j sandwich without the pb…..yuck………not much fun………..(:-0{{

9. TPSWorker says

I am so disappointed. I have been nursing a crush on Mike Rowe for the entire run. Love his wry sense of humor and deadpan delivery…

10. Rogene Martin says

I agree with Tammy, Mike Rowe uses a great sense of humor, determination to do his part, and we respond to him. Best of futures to Mike and his crew. Hope to see you again real soon.

11. says

I wish Discovery would keep Dirty Jobs on the air. It was fun educational and gave a good insight to what real people do to make a living. No one but Mike Rowe could of made it work, with his wit, humor and intuitiveness. If they don’t bring it back, i hope they put Mike on another show, cause he has so much charisma that anything he host will do good. Love ya Mike and will sure miss you!