Do No Harm: Cancelled by NBC After Two Episodes

Do No Harm canceledTo absolutely no surprise, NBC has cancelled Do No Harm, their new Thursday night drama. The network has pulled it from the schedule already, leaving 10 episodes unaired.

Do No Harm revolves around Jason Cole, a neurosurgeon with an unusual dilemma. Every night at 8:25pm, he becomes someone else — an alternate and evil version of himself who goes by the name Ian Price. Jason has managed to keep his alter ego from appearing, thanks to medication. Unfortunately, the serum stops working suddenly and Ian appears, more dangerous than ever.

The TV show features the talents of Steven Pasquale, Alana de la Garza, Ruta Gedmintas, Phylicia Rashad, Mousa Kraish, Michael Esper, John Carroll Lynch, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Samm Levine.

The series premiered last week to just a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.12 million total viewers. Those were incredibly bad numbers.

How bad? It’s the lowest demo rating for a scripted series premiere in television history among the four major broadcast networks.

Since the pilot was released online a couple weeks before the television airing, might more people tune in for episode two? Nope. The second installment saw the ratings drop even further — to a 0.7 rating with 2.21 million viewers.

NBC has wasted no time in cancelling Do No Harm and reruns of Law & Order: SVU will fill the timeslot for the immediate future.

Production of the 12 episodes of Do No Harm was completed last month so this leaves 10 episodes unaired. There’s no word on when or if NBC will release them.

What do you think? Did you like Do No Harm? Why do you think so few people gave it a chance? What did you like about it?

Karen February 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I absolutely love this show and can’t believe that NBC cancelled it! Not everyone watches this show at the scheduled 10pm time slot; some DVR it and others, like myself, download it to my iPad to watch when it’s convenient for me!! NBC, you are making a big mistake cancelling this show!! I want the next 10 episodes AND I am willing to pay for them. What are you going to do about this NBC?

whywatch February 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Rather lame show. Wasn’t worth my time watching.

rwill February 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I actually loved the show. Surprised it was cancelled. I think the timing of the show was an issue. A few other mega hits shows all airing around the same time. I think NBC should try the show again. Maybe a Saturday time slot.

P-Town Brave February 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I think I am just done w/ NBC….every time they get a decent show with an interesting concept, they can it after a short run….

Understandably it didn’t do well in the ratings….gee NBC…do you think it had something to do with a) time slot, b) the fact they started it midseason, and c) the fact they did ZERO marketing on the show.

NBC just really sucks at showing quality non comedic television programming…..

I just hope that maybe just maybe TNT takes a look at this and gives it a chance….NBC should just stick to Brian Williams, The Voice, and snarky comedies because apparently thats all they can do well!

I am done w/ them though, this was the last straw!

Xas February 12, 2013 at 1:42 am

c) the fact they did ZERO marketing on the show.

P-Town Brave, are you living in a rock? This show had the most invasive advertising by the 4-big TV studios. You need to check the response online in facebook, youtube… It was terrible. Also the pilot premiered online and was object of jokes for a lame effort.

heather February 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm

This show was a really cool concept. The night they chose to put it on was stupid. People would watch it if it wasn’t on at the same time as other good shows that are already a few seasons in. I think the show was good but the day was a bad choice by the channel. I agree that there is almost no point in watching shows on NBC. It was the first one I DVR’d by them in a while. They are signing their own death certificate.

Angus February 10, 2013 at 6:57 am

If you are going to have a show with Doctors, at least do a little bit of research. The whole diabetes thing was absolutely stupid. So many things wrong.

Jim February 10, 2013 at 1:20 am

I cant believe they cancelled after 2 episodes. don’t they realize sometimes a show needs to find an audience maybe people dvr’d the show and waited to watch the episodes. it really makes me not want to watch any new shows since if they don’t get great ratings by the time the first commercial break airs the network is going to cancel it, so why even waste my time?

Callie415 February 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

This show was AWESOME…it takes a lot for me to say that!! I wanna know what happens in the next 10 episodes!! They need to release the remaining episodes for those of us who did like it……. & NBC wonders why their ratings SUCK!!

Curtis February 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I watched the first episode and dvr’d the second, i thought it was OK, i really like Alana de la Garza, so was hopeful this could be a hit, but alas nope.. hope she gets something better in the near future, miss her from the old L&O days… :(

Kat February 9, 2013 at 2:48 pm

It always amazes me how many people come out of the woodwork claiming a piece of dreck show was a “great show” after it gets cancelled… I gave the show a chance, suffering through the first episode and half of the second, but it was the very definition of low quality scripted television. The only part that was serviceable was Steven Pasquale’s acting and that was in spite of the awful material given to him.

Gretchen February 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

It’s a great show! Stupid idea to cancel it. Then put the series on Itunes and let those who like it watch the remaining 10 episodes. It could be as good as White Collar if the writers keep it going and don’t make it too much about drug dealing. Loved the show.

Jeanne Coriano February 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This is soooo stupid! Everytime you get a good show, you let it go and keep the really dumb ones like 1600 penn…this show was different and i enjoyed it.
This show wasnt given a chance..so I’m saying “Adios” to NBC

Ceej February 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Well if it makes you feel any better, 1600 Penn’s future doesn’t look much better – the last episode only got a 1.1(out of a 2.0!) and they bumped next week’s episode for an hour-long The Office.

Anthony February 9, 2013 at 11:48 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if the awful commercials were what drove people away.

Stephanie February 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

No ones watching this because the world is tuned into Scandal on ABC during that time slot! It might be a good show, but who would know?

Thomas February 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

No surprise to me! I could this one coming a hundred miles away…

mari r.r-em February 9, 2013 at 9:48 am

thats stupid!!it was a great show.we were looking forward to seeing how it goes with the 2 personalities