FOX 2011-12 Ratings Report Card

FOX TV show ratingsHow are your favorite FOX TV shows doing this season? Which ones are hits and which ones are in danger of being cancelled? You might be surprised. By looking at the chart below, you’ll be to see their current season ranking, ratings averages to date, and their grade in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

There’s lots of information that the networks take into consideration when deciding whether to cancel or renew a TV series but the ratings are the main ingredient. (Wonder if your favorite’s already been renewed or cancelled? Visit our FOX 2011-12 show page.

These charts incorporate final ratings data through Friday, June 1, 2012.

Demo
4The X Factor (Thurs.) (renewed)A+3.5 (3.52)11.06ratings
5Mobbed (returning)C2.0 (1.96)5.49ratings
6Kitchen Nightmares (renewed)C*1.5 (1.48)3.58ratings
7Cops (renewed)D+*1.3 (1.28)3.76ratings
8Q'Viva! The Chosen (cancelled)F*0.6 (0.57)1.80ratings
Other ratings report cards: ABC | CBS | The CW | NBC

Here’s the Summer 2012 report card.

Original ratings data ©The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

A couple of notes about these charts:
The averages included in these charts are based on the final numbers, not the fast affiliate ratings that are typically reported the morning after. The final numbers become available about a day after the broadcasts or, in the case of Fridays, weekends, and holidays, several days later. The charts are updated as the new data is made available.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are what’s most important to advertisers and therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Agree with it or not, advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating versus one with a lot more overall viewers.

Demo numbers are reported by Nielsen using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). We used to round the averages to the tenth place as well but that ultimately ends up making it harder for our readers to track any upward or downward movement week-to-week. It can also be a little misleading since a show with a 2.35 average and a show with a 2.44 average will both round to a 2.4 rating.

So in this chart, we’re including the demo average rounded to the 10th (2.4) as well as the 100th place (2.41) in parenthesis so you can get a better idea of how the number’s been affected by the latest episode’s demo rating.

The letter grades are relative and are based on the individual network’s demo performance. All of the networks have very different gauges for success right now. (A successful show for The CW would get quickly cancelled on CBS.) Our system for coming up with letter grades isn’t perfect but it should still give you an idea of where the different shows stand. The closer a show is to the bottom of the list, the more chance it has of getting cancelled.

*The grades for TV series that run on Friday and Saturday nights are weighted a little differently, to compensate for airing on little-watched nights.

What do you think? Are surprised at who’s doing the best and who’s doing terribly? Are any of your favorite shows in danger of being cancelled?

Kurt March 25, 2012 at 9:24 am

If this is all about LOVE, please cancel this BS. I kinda feel like scammed. Watching 4 years and it “was” one of my fav shows. These people make millions of dollars and they couldn’t come up with a better solution than LOVE ? I could give them a few alternative solution, free of charge, if they asked. I never ever watch anything JJ touched from now on.

Danielle Biancoa Rivera March 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

If Raising Hope is supposed to be a “My Name Is Earl” Spinoff…..Why not do some crossovers?

Why does Bones keep getting renewed while house and fringe struggle in the ratings?

It’s not a good show and It’s been on for way too long…..stupid csi ripoff.

jp March 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

bring back the oldies you know the old black and white tv shows the whole family enjoy and has a story to it remember happy days- ozzie and harriet- american bandstand -soul train- the rifleman-laugh in-dean martin-ed sullivan bonanza0-remember ben casey -dr kildare
why is todays society based on death-invasion of privacy or just stupid reality garbage
yes garbage i will take the amc movie channels any day of the week over this stuff

Darvedd March 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

Terra Nova now cancelled, Alcatraz will probably go as well and House is ending-lots of new shows required for Fox!

Carol March 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Love – LOVE – LOVE – The Finder, Fringe, Alcatraz, Bones and Terra Nova – I hope you keep all of these. I’m sick to death of all the reality, singing and dancing shows.
House was getting old – his attitude needs a little tweeking – BORING! Glad to see it go.

Greg March 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm

First off… New Girl is a great a show! Raising Hope? I flip the channel as fast as possible when I see that show come on! It’s a show for rednecks basically :P As far as Fringe goes.. it was a good show for like the first 2 seasons and then yes it got stupid, to scifi-ish. Not that I dont like scifi but there honestly just isn’t a big following for it on network tv like Admin said earlier. People nowadays like Reality type shows(if you want to call them that:P). That is another topic all on it’s own. Seriously though? How is it reality for camera crews to following around people on survivor, interviewing them, etc.. while their playing the game? Duh! That’s just stupid…. if a tv network wants to make a true reality show they need to take away the camera people and just have surveillance type cameras set up all over the place! Now That’s Reality!

Craig March 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

Raising Hope is a show for rednecks. That just makes me laugh. However, I am not laughing with you.

RecceR March 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Have you even seen Raising Hope? They’re a struggling lower middle-class family that is kooky and it’s a comedy. I could say New Girl is another Friends rip-off, but even though it is, I gave it a chance and it’s alright. However, Raising Hope is far better in character development and storylines.

BobaFett February 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

Why do people think New Girl is good? I watch it only because it’s before Raising Hope which is MUUUUCHHH better than New Girl.

Mikey.B February 6, 2012 at 5:04 am

They best not cancel Fringe! That is prob my fav show on FOX! I thought Fringe was doing quite well so I am very disappointed to see it at the bottom of that list! No doubt they’ll cancel it for some dumb reality TV crap!

Bill February 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

No word yet on Terra Nova’s renewal?

admin February 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Bill » Nope, not yet.

Samara February 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I am devastated to see “Fringe” at the bottom! Every year, I cross my fingers that another season will be ordered, but I’m even more worried this time! I agree with Kat – why can’t we have shows that require thought?! Had I known “Lost” would be complicated, I would have watched it with even greater anticipation – it was never hard to follow! “Alias” is still a classic, but by the end of season three, J.J. had been asked to have more closed, one-episode storylines! Basically, that means – dumb it down! Intricate storylines, detailed and connected episodes, and complicated premises are what I look for in the shows I watch! Why are all viewers being treated like morons who can’t hold a single thought in their head? I want to have something leave a mark – making me think about it and connect the dots! I don’t need to be force fed the answers before I’ve had time to ponder the questions! We are not all idiots! Series like “Fringe”, “Alcatraz”, and “House”, need to stay on for those of us who aren’t satiated by the mindless drivel such as cartoon series and reality tv! Network execs need to get a clue (and some brains)!

Craig February 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Looking at the report cards here on Feb. 1, CBS is easily number one. I can’t tell if FOX or ABC would be number 2. ABC has a couple of top shows, but FOX’s overall looks pretty strong.

Lori January 11, 2012 at 11:14 am

Your link is to ABC cancelled shows. Not FOX

admin January 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

Lori » Thanks. It’s fixed.

Lori January 12, 2012 at 8:52 am

Thank you! :)

Kat November 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Let’s see, from the top down, I watch… Bones, Terra Nova, and Fringe. If you had asked me this time a few months ago whether I thought Grimm was going to clobber Fringe like this, I would’ve laughed and said, “That show’s going to last as long as ‘The Cape’. ‘Fringe’ is classic, no one’s going to give it up for a new show.” Although the quality of Fringe hasn’t diminished, it looks like a lot of people are tuning out, which is sad. It’s dying the death of a thousand papercuts and I don’t understand why everyone else can’t enjoy it the way I do. Is it so wrong to have a show on television that requires thinking? I wonder. But then, I’m a diehard sci-fi veteran, so I’m biased in favor of great sci-fi programming like Fringe. Bones and Terra Nova aren’t doing that great this season either; too bad.

Wayne November 26, 2011 at 5:45 am

I do not understand the relative success of The New Girl. Ive watched the first couple episodes and I found it to be slightly cringe-worthy. Is it because people just adore Zoey Deschanel?

Craig November 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Every week I still shake my head that hardly anybody is watching Fringe. Just about all the ratings on all the networks make sense except for Fringe. I just don’t understand why people are not interested in the show.

admin November 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Craig » it’s a niche scifi show. When was the last time one succeeded on network TV? Good show or not, Fringe fans should be thankful that FOX has kept it on the air this long.

Craig November 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I understand that Sci-Fi is a niche that might not be popular with everyone. However, we have seen shows like Lost do well, and though it was almost 20 years ago, the X Files did well on Friday nights on Fox. I just figured there was a niche of fans that would be there for a show like Fringe, at least at the Terra Nova level.

admin November 26, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Craig » Lost was a big hit initially but I think many people stopped watching as it got more complicated and sci fi elements were introduced. Every show that’s been promoted as the new Lost has failed. People aren’t looking for the new Lost and i think that, if people knew how complicated that show was going to become, they wouldnt have started. As with Lost, I think Fringe’s dense mythology prevents new viewers from trying it and existing viewers naturally tire of it (as people do of any series). In terms of X Files, the world has changed a lot in 20 years.

Kat November 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I don’t remember the last time I “naturally tired” of a series… oh, wait, The Simpsons. But come on, that’s been on since 1989. No, most of the time, the shows I like get cancelled before I tire of them, even the ones that have lasted seven (see: ST: DS9 or Buffy) or ten years (see: Stargate SG-1). And that’s to say nothing of the countless shows I’ve enjoyed for only one to three seasons before their lives were cut tragically short… Who are these people who abandon their favorite TV shows? Seriously, I don’t understand it. But I think you’re right; it’s a good thing people didn’t know initially how complicated LOST was going to become or they wouldn’t have tuned in and we wouldn’t have gotten several more years of an amazing series.

Craig December 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Admin, I understand. No matter how successful a show like the Big Bang Theory is currently, it doesn’t mean we have a new generation of sci-fi lovers out there.