How I Met Your Mother: CBS Series Renewed for Season Six

How I Met Your MotherIt looks like the kids of “future Ted” are going to have to sit and listen to his stories for a while longer. How I Met Your Mother has just been renewed for a sixth season.

As told by his future self (voice of Bob Saget), How I Met Your Mother relates the story of how architect Ted Moseby (Josh Radnor) met his wife — and his many experiences along the way with friends Marshall (Jason Segel), Lily (Alyson Hannigan), Robin (Cobie Smulders), and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris).

The sitcom has been a modest success for the network and, in the early years, the cast and crew typically had to wait until the last minute to find out if the show was being picked up.

Last year’s renewal was assured because the sitcom had been sold into syndication by 20th Century Fox TV. Though CBS wasn’t guaranteed to take it, the deal stipulated that the studio would create at least five seasons’ worth of episodes.

Are you glad Mother's been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mother has now been picked up for a sixth season, reports Variety. The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were previously given multiple year renewals so it looks likely that the Monday night lineup will remain essentially the same.

Mother’s creators, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, have three year deals with the studio. That’ll keep them with the show until season eight, should the series run that long.

What do you think? Are you glad that Mother is returning for another round of episodes? Do you think the show should last eight seasons?

Shari May 3, 2010 at 10:50 am

One of the best shows EVER!♥

Laurie April 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm

My favorite current sitcom ever!!!! I was with this show from day one, and I still haven’t changed my position since then. This next season is going to be “Legen…-and I hope your not Lactose and Tolerant because the next word is-…dary

Asterisk April 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm

This is great that it’s been renewed for another season. At the finale of each one, I have to look it up whether it’s been renewed because they end the seasons so well, with Ted proposing to Stella, Ted buying his new house (4.19.10), and Ted getting with Robin, and Marshal and Lily’s marriage. Once they start to run low on topics, they should lead the show with Ted finding the girl (but not saying it’s the mother), dating her, and the series finale being the wedding, Then, finally, Ted should say to his kids in the voice over, “And that, kids, is the true story of how i met your mother.” It would be awesome. But back to the original point, should CBS renew the show for a sixth, seventh, and eighth season? I answer with a echoing. “YES!” And trust me, the new seasons are going to be (in the words of Barney Stinson ) Legen… wait for it… DARY!

J Brook April 19, 2010 at 1:13 am

I want more. Not only should we be introduced to the mom (we need to see her with the group, especially Robin and Lily that’s key). We should see the wedding and the birth of his first child with a quick montage of her growing up taking us to the second child’s birth another montage thus ending at him telling the story to the kids around season 9 or 10. Make it happen CBS!!

Harriet April 9, 2010 at 7:06 am

How I Met Your Mother is definetly my favorite show on tv. I am really glad there’s going to be a sixth season- I am hoping there will be a seventh! The show is legen… wait for ie… dary!

Harriet April 9, 2010 at 7:02 am

How I Met Your Mother is definetly my favorite show on tv. I’m so glad there’s going to be a sixth season and I hope that there will be a seventh! The show is legen… wait for it… dary!!!!

SARAKAYRN March 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I love this show! It is one of the funniest shows on TV.

Simone March 1, 2010 at 11:01 pm

HIMYM is absolutely the best current sit-com. No doubt in my humble opinion.

S.B. Italia, Roma.

michael February 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I’m getting tired of waiting for the meeting of ted and his wife.
I’m scared that the show might die of boredom before the revelation, and be turned in another one of these shows that are totally ruined in retrospect because they have no ending

jim February 3, 2010 at 8:26 am

My wife and I just completed the fourth season on dvd yesterday and this show is awesome…I will miss the characters when the show is not continued. At least we have 2 more seasons of some “legen…wait for it…dary” comedy! :-)

Renee January 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have been a fan since its series premiere and am thrilled that the show was picked up for a sixth season, though I feel it may be heading to a close since the milestone 100th episode when we got a small glimpse of the women Ted will marry. Still glad though!!!!

mike January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Ugly Betty is being cancelled. Dead Zone and 4400 were cancelled. Why is this still on?

francne March 25, 2010 at 9:16 am

hey mike :

I so agree with you, I just became a fan of Ugly Betty, last season, hard to understand how these networks make their choices….

Laurie April 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Are you kidding me? How I met your Mother has a huge following. Why would it be cancelled. Although, it was sad that Ugly Betty got cancelled. I didn’t really watch it alot, but I just hate it when shows get cancelled.

CJ WEST January 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

I think the suspense of not knowing who the mother is has helped greatly to keep this show alive. I watched regularly during the first two seasons but since have watched it mostly during summer reruns. The cast is good but the stories overall have gotten a little too Barneyfied for me.

Matt January 26, 2010 at 9:28 am

How I Met your Mother is a great show. I can’t say anything bad about it. It just might be the next Friends, but feel free to disagree. Good for you.

Rockin' STeve January 26, 2010 at 5:12 am

How I met your mother is an awesome show. A great cast with great plots. THank God it’s here another year. Go Mother!